We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[AT VOTE] Bilateral Treaty with TEP

(05-31-2020, 08:59 AM)Daytime to Night Wrote: The East Pacific and its government has been shown to have been more vulnerable to exploitation by outside forces than other GCRs in recent history. Do we have any encouragement that the region have become any more discerning about its leaders and members, or has tightened security enough that this alliance won't be used against us or exploited by those who might seek to harm TSP and/or TEP in the future?

I have been encouraged by how seriously the Marrabuk administration has taken regional security and anticipate their successor will as well. I also know TEP has sought out closer ties to the regions which aided them during the Fedele coup.
(05-31-2020, 08:59 AM)Daytime to Night Wrote: Recognising the official government seems inoffensive and appropriate in theory, but what are our options within the constraints of this treaty if that Government begins to make similar noises to the Fedele administration?

We do not lose any diplomatic options for response under this accord as it does not limit our options any more than the January Accords do, which the Assembly has remained supportive of.

(05-31-2020, 08:59 AM)Daytime to Night Wrote: I am wary that Article III, Section 2 could be used against us in such circumstances, were we even to make enquiries to natives of TEP about the conduct of their officials.

I would point you towards the second clause of Article 2.1 of the January Accords, which contains similar language saying "nor participate in any action with the intent to overthrow their legitimate governments as recognized in this Treaty." Again, if we could act how we did during the Fedele Coup under the January Accords, none of those avenues for action would be taken away from us under this treaty.

(05-31-2020, 08:59 AM)Daytime to Night Wrote: Are we wholly satisfied that the East Pacific has made the changes it needs to protect itself from that? It is concerning to me that they are already working cooperatively (militarily) with the exact same people who sought to subvert their official government only months ago.

The East Pacific Sovereign Army is also frequently seen updating in libcord with Defenders. I would also point you to the following statement describing the security actions taken by the East Pacific with respect to the perpetrators of their coup. TEP also updated the role of their Viziers so they are a serious security body.

Finally, it would appear TEP wants to become more connected to the Defender sphere as they recently passed the following treaty with XKI, a close ally of our own. I submit that by continuing engagement, TEP will continue to engage with the Defender community, and deepen its ties with Defenders around NS. Let's pass this treaty.
Above all else, I hope to be a decent person.
Has Been
What's Next?

CoA: August 2016-January 2017
Minister of Foreign Affairs: October 2019-June 2020, October 2020- February 2021
[-] The following 3 users Like Omega's post:
  • Roavin, Seraph, Somyrion

Messages In This Thread
[AT VOTE] Bilateral Treaty with TEP - by Omega - 04-27-2020, 04:04 PM
RE: [Proposal] Bilateral Treaty with TEP - by Omega - 06-04-2020, 06:05 PM