We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

The Phantom's Deception

Corillia System,
Corillia,
KIS Kontauri's Pride

The ships had docked and the Kontauri were preparing like fanatics, checking every inch of the carpet on which the Caretakers would soon walk. Emperor Molari sat on a throne overseeing the preparations. He couldn't help but smile, it was all coming along. After all these years, he had done the impossible. The revelation was within his grasp and finally he would join his kin again. The message the Stoinians had sent was his machination and he repeated it to himself over and over again to calm himself down from all the stress.

"Brave Kontauri. I am King Andrei III Stoian. We welcome you into the realm of stars and within the Holkunsa system, known to us as Corillia. As you can see, beneath you is our planet Corillia with tall spire cities reaching into space. This along with many other technological innovations await you if you so desire. We have spread over hundreds of light years and have left you in peace to your own evolution. I see that you have been able to eliminate the Ko'ghyal threat. For that reason we have taken enough care for you and wish that you join our ranks in our Star Kingdom. We shall embrace you with open arms as you have proven to be the superior species of Kontaurus. Do not fail us." 

The time had come. The ships had docked and as the King accompanied with his heirs walked towards the throne of the Kontauri Emperor while the Kontauri anthem played in the background by the Kontauri Imperial Band. Their instruments were quite similar to those of Terran origin, but they halted only when standing a few meters in front of the Kontauri throne. Their decorations were indeed very luxurious and had a certain appeal to it that they were like the Ryccians. A crescent motive was omnipresent, in their architecture to even the hair of the males. These Kontauri certainly were the flamboyant type, though not quite like the Ryccians. Their clothes were exquisite as well as if made from delicate silks. King Andrei already saw the worth in the Kontauri as a subservient species. As the Kontauri anthem stopped, the Kontauri Emperor spoke in Kontaur and it had a musical tone to it. Luckily through the use of universal translators the Stoinians were able to understand him.

"Your Majesty, I am pleased to finally meet our caretakers in person."

"You have proven that you can take care of your own. It is therefor that we come here in peace and offer you a place within our our realm."

"We are honoured, but perhaps it is best we discuss this in private. From monarch to monarch. Such matters of state are delicate and we wish we understand each other perfectly without outside influences. Wouldn't you agree?"

"I agree, please lead on."

The Kontauri Emperor stood up from his throne and waved with his hand to signify that the King should follow him. They went towards a room, just the two of them. As the door closed, King Andrei wasted no time.

"Now Mr. von Kranowicz, you better explain this whole operation."

The Kontauri Emperor sat down in a luxurious sofa as to rest himself from the stress.

"Ah yes... *coughs* I was part of operation Enlightenment by you forefather Iulian IV."

"Operation Enlightenment?"

"Yes, an operation to infiltrate... *coughs* Primitive xeno species to incorporate them. When Iulian IV unfortunately died, his operation was liquified. All was to be stopped at once."

"But you continued?"

The Kontauri Emperor froze for a minute as he wasn't certain if his monarch would agree with his actions. He gather his courage and continued the conversation.

"Yes. *coughs* I was too invested into my work. I saw a strength in the Kontauri like our own Terran strength. They are a proud people full of traditions and fierce in battle. They could help our nation stay strong and prepare for unknown xeno barbarians."

The King looked inquisitively at the Emperor.

"And you framed your own death and went on without permission?"

"I wouldn't have gotten permission! The higher ups never understood our work and didn't understand how easy the Kontauri could be directed. I did it for the betterment of our nation!"

The Emperor had raised his voice and had to take a deep breath before continuing.

"Forgive me your majesty, but this work could be done in one lifetime and we need the manpower. Besides, you know how we work on Reach. *Coughs* We never half-ass our jobs."

The King looked saddened at the mention of Reach and the Emperor noticed it.

"My liege, is there something wrong."

"This won't be easy to hear Mr. von Kranowicz..."

"What do you mean?"

"My father Alexandru III, son of Iulian IV, died when I was just two years old by the hands of xenos known as Velutarians..."

The Emperor's face paled upon hearing it. How could this be linked to Reach? Unless...

"This ignited the Velutarian War... It lasted for 16 years and the Velutarians... Glassed many planets and... Reach fell eventually."

The Emperor went into full shock. His home was gone while he set on a quest to gift his nation a new member. This was his payment for his work by God? How could this have happened. Rage, grief and anger all took hold of him and let out a loud cry of sorrow. He sat in his sofa, sobbing and reminiscing his lost friends and family.

"How many of our kindred died?"

"8,7 ... trillion of our own. Nearly... half of our population..."

This completely drove the Emperor mad. How could this have happened? Why had God allowed this to happen to his people? And all of that when he was away? WHY?! The Emperor took a minute to calm himself down even the King shed a few tears. He looked upon his left hand upon which he sliced with his honour sword as a promise he wouldn't allow this to happen. Both men were deeply struck by the memory or revelation. A few heartbeats would be needed for both men to calm down. Kranowicz to realise the choices he made, left the fate of his friends and family to a cruel end and the King for the burden he had to carry that he could barely help most of the war. Both had wanted to do more for their dear nation.

"If it wasn't for Regent MacArthur, I wouldn't be able to stand here. A lot has changed, the military now is separate from civilian government and none would dare oppose us."

"Well that is good to hear. *cough* The Kontauri will certainly look up to you, especially when this story is revealed. Which brings me to a necessary evil..."

"Please elaborate."

"When we exit this room I will challenge you to Muroga, a Kontauri duel to the death victor takes all titles and holdings. This way you yourself will become Emperor of Kontaurus when you claim the Imperial Crest from my neck."

"Surely there must be another way, you have done enough for Stoinia as is."

"NO! I have no home anymore. All my friends and family are dead and I only have a few years left at best. Let me have a chance of an honourable death! A Terran and Kontauri death! If pride is all I have left now, I will not give that up. Besides, Kontauri Great Houses are moving against me and my loyalists. I have prepared a file for you upon my death with the details. I would suggest you choose a member of House Kotto as your Viceroy, they are the most devout and loyal of them all. And I would be lying if I say I haven't grown fond of them."

"I will do my best, for both of our species. I will see to it they will receive full citizenship."

"Good, then we will proceed as we must. You will have to keep this a secret to the public as otherwise the Kontauri Great Houses might rebel and we don't want that to happen. Your majesty, it has been my greatest honour to serve Stoinia."

"The honour was ours to have spawned such a hero as yourself."

The Emperor was moved by the King's response and shook his hand firmly and with confidence. They then left the room and confronted the masses which awaited with eagerness for what was to come next.

"My fellow Kontauri. It has become clear to me that King Andrei here is indeed the care taker of Kontaurus as foretold in the Prophecy of Kavu. However there remains a final test of Kontauri spirit according to that prophecy. To prove ourselves to one another I will challenge King Andrei to Muroga. A duel to the death where the winner gets all titles and holdings. Let us prove to the care takers that the Kontauri spirit never breaks down!"

The public was shocked. Stoinians and Kontauri alike, but none could object the Emperor.

"King Andrei do you accept my challenge."

"I do."

The Emperor then came right in front of him, giving the King a deep look. No words were need for it was written in their eyes. A common understanding for men who knew what it meant to be a true soldier.

Take care of the Kontauri for me, my liege.

I will.

"Guards, prepare the room for Muroga!"

Corillia System,
Corillia,
KIS Kontauri's Pride,
Ten minutes later

The throne room was transformed with a circle in the middle and both participants were outfitted with light armour and a Kontauri sword. Elena was confused and tried to talk her father out of it, but King Andrei knew that it had to be done. Aurelian too was shocked at first, but he soon understood the need as well. Carol suspected something like this would happen, but he still felt discomfort with having to see his father duel. The Emperor was old, but never underestimate a Stoinian's duelling skill. A female Kontauri appeared with dish from which smoke came alongside two Kontauri males, one with a drum and one with a chime. They centered themselves in the middle of the circle and invited both participants to come to them. Both monarchs clashed their swords together while the priestess held the dish with smoke above their intersection point. The drums frequency became faster and faster until it became a constant roll at which the Kontauri priestess spoke.

"By the will of the Gods, may the strongest win the Muroga. Bless them with long live, luck and wealth. By oath to honour the Muroga and honour the memory of the defeated. Let the Muroga begin, until death!"

A loud chime could be heard and Emperor Mollari pushed the King's sword away and immediately went in for an attack sequence. This Terran, despite his old age, was full of Kontauri vigour and ignored his aches. Pumped with adrenaline, so had began the last fight of his life.

The King successfully deflected the attacks, though it was too slim for comfort. Aurelian looked worrisome as he noticed it too. The King then dodged and gave himself room to manoeuvre, stepping to the right of the Emperor. He could force his away into an attack, put the positioning of the Emperor's feet made it clear that he was ready for such an attack. The opponents looked again at each other.

Don't make it too easy now Emperor.

I haven't even started yet.

The Emperor went in for another attack, but this time he made slim miscalculation and the King was able to pierce through the light armour into the sides of the abdomen. The wound wouldn't have been too problematic for a Terran, but this is where the Kontauri males hold their six tentacle like reproductive organs. All Kontauri were shocked and expected the Emperor to cry out in pain. The Emperor knew this and contemplated to cry out in pain, but he was going to prove the vigour of the Kontauri. Stopping for a moment, but quickly charging again at the King to the complete awe of all the Kontauri in the room. 

The King was taken by surprise by the quick response and observed some of the Kontauri reactions. Clearly he was doing something right, but the quick reaction by the Emperor had taken its toll. By slim millisecond, the Emperor was able to slice the upper leg of the King. This was a move to pin the King down so he wouldn't have to run constantly after him. The Emperor came with another attack sequence, but the King parried all of them and with the very leg that was just sliced, he pushed the Emperor away from him. Giving him room to manoeuvre. 

Both had taken a slice, but no sign of surrender was clear as of yet. For minutes they continued to attack and parry the other's sequences. Deep cuts were made by both sides and it seemed they were coming to a stalemate. Through pure will the Emperor was still standing and fought with both elegance and swiftness, but the many slices had began to take its toll on him. The Emperor was panting while looking at the King. Communicating through his eyes that he was ready for it.

Make it a worthy death!

The King nodded subtly and went in for the final sequence. All his attacks were deflected, but by a slight faint he was able to trick the Emperor and pierced his sword through his stomach. The Emperor's sword fell on the ground and the sound resonated all over the room. The King supported the Emperor as he had embraced him while struggling for air. The Emperor whispered to the King.

Long live the Emperor!

After those words, the Emperor took his last breath. Ernest von Kranowicz died a hero's death, though there would be no songs of it and his deeds. The ultimate sacrifice that even the most heroic of Stoinians wouldn't have withstood. Ernest was the hero Stoinia would never know, only tales of the brave Kontauri Emperor would remain. Born a Terran. Died a Kontauri. An idea unfathomable to Terrans all over the Star Kingdom, but only a few would know the tragic sacrifice he underwent. For a brief moment, Andrei didn't believe himself worthy to be the King of such a man. No man of such calibre should call him his liege. It should have been the other way around. Time however wasn't on his side and he would grief later. He retracted his sword from the Emperor's corpse and let it fell on its back. The Kontauri then looked towards him for they knew what would follow and the meaning of it. The King looked upon the corpse and the lifeless eyes of the Emperor. Deep sorrow struck his heart, but it was too late now. He let his sword clatter to the ground and took the Imperial Crest from his chest and put it on himself. He then walked slowly towards the Kontauri throne as everyon looked with revernece at him. Slowly sitting on it while admiring the exquisite craftmanship of it. All of this without showing any sign of weakness or pain as he wanted to prove Terran resolve and understood that he now was seen as a demigod. 

[Image: Imperial-Crest.png]
The Kontauri Imperial Crest.

A Kontauri Guardsman, likely the Captain then stepped forward and cried out loud.

"The Emperor is dead. Long live Emperor Andrei, Emperor of Kontaurus!"

The Kontauri then immediately all kneeled down to the surprise of the Stoinians. They had expected it would be a cheerful response, but clearly they had much to learn of the Kontauri and they from them. King Andrei thought to himself as he watched these new loyal subjects.

May I be worthy of the name. Stoinian... But also Kontauri.
Pacifica: MyriaSallodesia, Stoinia • A1-0: Stoinian Star Kingdom • Aurora: Kingdom of Threnebor
[-] The following 2 users Like Maverick's post:
  • GI-Land, Imperial Frost Federation

Messages In This Thread
The Phantom's Deception - by Maverick - 12-13-2020, 07:13 AM
RE: The Phantom's Deception - by Maverick - 12-14-2020, 08:39 AM
RE: The Phantom's Deception - by Maverick - 12-29-2020, 07:00 PM
RE: The Phantom's Deception - by Maverick - 01-09-2021, 11:08 AM