We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[DISCUSSION] A New Unified Discord Server

Results of the survey:

31 respondents.

48.4% wanted a fully unified server.
29% wanted the status quo.
22.6% wanted an executive server.

Of people who had been in TSP for less than 7 months (6 respondents), five wanted a fully unified server, two wanted an executive server, none wanted the status quo.

Two respondents were most active on the RMB preferred a fully unified server. Two respondents were most active on the forum - one wanted status quo, one wanted fully unified. Seven respondents were most active in a TSP Discord that isn't the main server - three preferred status quo and four preferred a fully unified server.

For every server apart from main TSP and MoRA, there were people who were unaware that the servers existed, and in every server except main TSP there were at least three people who were in the server but had it muted or far enough down their server list to be functionally muted.

Ten people were in ten or fewer servers. Eight of these people preferred a unified server, with two preferring status quo. In contrast, thirteen people were in over 20 servers, and only six of these wanted a fully unified server, with four preferring the status quo and three preferring an executive server.

Reasons given for full unification:

To make it easier to see which roles one person has and to make it more organized. But keep all the current committees, just regroup them into one server. 

Consistency. Ease.

Simplicity and integration.

Having everything spread across different places is confusing

The status quo is a giant mess that's impossible for everyone but the most fully engaged TSPers to be on top of. I understand why we've gotten to the point we have, but it's frankly ridiculous now. An executive server might be a bit better, but my concern is that it still -- and perhaps to an even greater extent than having many different servers -- creates a division between "hanging out TSP" and "government TSP". Our govt. relies on volunteerism and being able to draw people in because they're just hanging around and have some time on their hands. With an executive server and a general chat server, people will segregate themselves into their self-perceived categories and never get involved in the "work" side of TSP... because that's handled by the "government" people in the "executive" server.

See OP of thread in Operations Centre

There are just too many servers to keep up to date with all of them

It'd be more manageable to have all departments in one central location, and would avoid the general neglect certain servers receive.

It will make it easier for everyone else to navigate. Management difficulty if that even exists is always tolerable to make sure navigation is as easy as possible for new members.

You could make better use of categories, easier to moderate, people can hide what they're not interested in. However I think RP should be its own server as it has many different sectors and is different in a way.

Because if there was one server, it would get crowded, and if there was one for everything, that is too many.

I think it would be pretty funny to have like a million of roles in one server.

I feel like it's easier to get to everything in once place. I would be concerned about a super long list of channels though, especially for people who are involved in lots of things.

Reasons for an executive server:

i like to keep things seprate but discord also has ways to organive built inside servers so  this is a good option

I think one total server would be too crowded, but one executive server could up activity while still not being as crowded.
We discussed this in Cabinet

I think a server for separate executive activity is a good idea, especially when you're part of multiple ministries.  Though because of gov stuff versus general, i think they should have separate servers because they would be easier to manage separately.

I wouldn't mind one server for all activities but then the server will have too many channels. The third channel just discourages me from joining all of the servers.
One server for everything would be a huge mess. An executive server for the ministries would be much better.

Reasons given for status quo:

It’s easier and better and smarter and just as it should be. People can choose what servers they want to be in and it gives the ministers a bit of control over their space. 

I'm not interested in the explosion of channels that would result from a server merger, even if I wouldn't see most of them.

One server with all TSP activities may seem really cluttered and confusing for new players. 

Yeet

Tidiness, however, smaller, temporary events for just our region need not be separated into it's own server.

I, personally, don't find anything wrong with TSP's current server structure. But if the server has a lot of channels, maybe then make a separate server.

To be fair, I'm quite unsure either way.
[-] The following 3 users Like Nakari's post:
  • Briny(Siyania), Seraph, Somyrion

Messages In This Thread
RE: [DISCUSSION] A New Unified Discord Server - by Nakari - 07-13-2020, 09:16 AM