We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

So, how about that RA split, huh?

Oh Viet, these are good questions! I'll go ahead and answer as far as I can. So, you all do know that I was the Roleplay senior fellow under Jay's ministerial term, as well as Chair. During these debates, I did prioritize my position as chair over that as "MoRA Leadership", and as such I did stay out of the debate except to step in when I felt things were being pushed too hard, I think I was too concerned with the potential for others to view my statements as a Conflict of Interest rather than actually doing my job as Chair, and for that I do apologize.

Now, onto the questions.

- What is the structure of the deputy minister leadership system implemented under that term?- So, while Jay was the Minister of Regional Affairs, he had split the ministry into essentially 3 parts: a Ministry of Culture, Ministry of Integration, and Ministry of Media. Under these deputies, were the Senior Fellows. The line between these two were, truthfully, very unclear, and I don't think any of us really knew what was the purpose/what we were supposed to do, whatever.

- How were deputy ministers chosen?- Jay had chosen the Deputy Ministers.

- What did a deputy minister candidate need to satisfy in order to be chosen?- That was unclear, you'd have to ask Jay himself.

- If deputy ministers were chosen via applications, how were applications reviewed?- I don't recall there being applications.

- How did the minister lead deputy ministers? (Did the minister give detailed orders on what to do, did he give broad demands then let the deputies figure the details, or did he give deputies complete freedom over policies and implementation)- This was also fairly unclear. No offense to Jay, but he seemed to be more of a ceremonial figurehead rather than actual minister. This is very so much likely due to the planning for PacificCon, which all the focus went there rather than other ministry things. Which makes tons of sense, planning interregional events takes a lot of time and effort and communication. But, it was clear that the Deputy Ministers were more calling the shots rather than the actual elected minister when it came to the ministry. Additionally, the confusion as to what the senior fellows were between the transition from Aggie's term (basically the lead fellow, the Deputy minister position so to speak, but with clear and active communication and expectations from Aggie) to Jay's term, where there were Deputy Ministers and Senior Fellows, we were very much confused and we essentially really figured this out on our own.

- Why did it fail?- Lack of direction from the Minister, confusion between Deputy Minister and Senior Fellow roles, and most of the attention devoted to PacificCon and the Ministry being accused of inactivity and the arising debates that led to the echo chamber and Roavin's investigation all contributed to everything that had happened last term. This was, after all, very rough on everyone and ultimately led to everything happening as it did in my opinion.

As for your questions to MoRA members:

- What are common causes for people to be inactive?- Busy IRL, being preoccupied elsewhere, maybe lack of interest in the current projects being done. Lack of leadership.

- What do you think hold MoRA back from being efficient on all sides (Poor planning/strategy, poor work ethic, poor institutional structure?)- Seraph's term is certainly seeing a sort of revival in the ministry. Making it open to anyone wanting to participate, who can contribute ideas as they please, it feels more like a collective work rather than bureocratic. But last term, definitely the lack of leadership (which Penguin honestly made up for in every way), so I think one issue was *too much structure* rather than not enough.

- What is your image of an ideal MoRA that can make you as productive as possible?- What we have right now, where all departments are more unified rather than not is ideal, where you can pitch in wherever. It all being truly community-based, rather than not. Like how it is being led right now.

And, your last set of questions:

- What is your ideal of an active MoRA?- An active MoRA is a MoRA that is working together to engage with our region. Different projects being done by everyone, together.

- How do you know if a MoRA term is considered successful?- I guess you would have to compare it to the quality of everything that the MoRA did. If a MoRA did a lot of things poorly, I wouldn't call it successful. If the MoRA did a couple things really well without trouble, then I would call that successful

These all here are just my views and reflections. As far as I'm concerned regarding a split, I think it should be done, since Integration and Graphics are somewhat different in mandate to Media and Culture, but don't quite merit their own ministry per say... it's difficult.
Fire Fire Fire Empress of Fire  Fire Fire Fire
Current Minister of Military Affairs
Chair Perch of the Assembly (February to June 2020)
SPSF Soldier
MoRA Fellow
Ambassador to Forest and Lazarus
[-] The following 3 users Like phoenixofthesun14's post:
  • Divine Owl, Seraph, USoVietnam

Messages In This Thread
So, how about that RA split, huh? - by Roavin - 07-20-2020, 12:30 PM
RE: So, how about that RA split, huh? - by phoenixofthesun14 - 07-20-2020, 05:30 PM
RE: So, how about that RA split, huh? - by Seraph - 07-21-2020, 02:38 AM
RE: So, how about that RA split, huh? - by Seraph - 08-21-2020, 08:46 AM
RE: So, how about that RA split, huh? - by Seraph - 08-22-2020, 05:19 PM
RE: So, how about that RA split, huh? - by Seraph - 08-24-2020, 02:24 AM
RE: So, how about that RA split, huh? - by Seraph - 08-25-2020, 02:17 AM
RE: So, how about that RA split, huh? - by Seraph - 08-26-2020, 04:55 AM
RE: So, how about that RA split, huh? - by Qwert - 08-27-2020, 03:21 PM
RE: So, how about that RA split, huh? - by Swifty - 08-27-2020, 09:16 PM
RE: So, how about that RA split, huh? - by Swifty - 08-27-2020, 09:26 PM
RE: So, how about that RA split, huh? - by Roavin - 08-29-2020, 11:36 AM
RE: So, how about that RA split, huh? - by Nakari - 09-01-2020, 07:36 PM