We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Discord discussion re OWL + talk more here

Alright, here are my thoughts:

Senior Staff issues

To ensure short-term functionality while we're further discussing long-term reforms, I'll promote Quebecshire and Osheiga to senior staff and remove Honeydew from senior staff (I'll probably also do some inactivity purges on junior staff at the same time). However, I still think removing the distinction between senior and junior staff would be a good step to take, especially once we've eliminated the problem of accessing the OWL nation by posting dispatches etc. remotely (whether via MoE's thing or something else).

Fostering discussion

In general, I still think one main problem is that people aren't actively made aware of new thoughts and statements posted in the Voting Center, which is a result of using a separate region RMB to conduct the discussion. They basically have to keep on visiting this other region to see whether someone's brought up an interesting idea on a proposal if they didn't happen to have been quoted in this new post. And I don't believe this notification problem would be completely eliminated by moving votes & discussions to the forums.

Therefore, I'd say that the platform most likely to encourage a direct discussion where people can easily interact with each other's arguments in this case would be the regional Discord server. While it, like the forums, would require people to at least passively check in every now and again to see that there are new messages, I think Discord would be preferable because
a) it functions in real-time, making it well-suited for conducting discussions and exchanging arguments in a somewhat conversational style, which might be more attractive for citizens to involve themselves in than the very "official" atmosphere of the forum (or even the RMB, to some extent),
b) Discord already is relatively widespread so chances are people already have an account - of course some won't and would have to create one, but the same applies to the forum, and if we're trying to include gameside TSP as much as possible we should take people like Auphelia into account, who wouldn't want to register on the forum for one reason or another but are okay with using the regional Discord server - and check it during the day, and
c) it has a cool bot API (yay) which we can use to speed up or automate more paperwork-y things that, when having to be done manually, might discourage staff members who are more interested in the actual WA stuffs (as was brought up here before).

Voting

Now, for the actual voting, I'd actually lean towards keeping the RMB, with the current system of WA nations just posting their ballots, as I don't see anything particularly wrong with it when looking at voting isolated from the discussion. For encouraging a more informed vote of nations, I was thinking that we could either, as Luca proposed, have a ready-to-go analysis written up, or compile something like the current opinions section, but instead just with major points brought up during the debate - of course, then voting itself would have to be scheduled some time after discussion concludes. Especially the latter could also take the place of the current opinions section if we want to see that gone.

This way, we could include the whole of gameside in the final voting (with final statements or without) while moving the discussion leading up to it and posing a guidance for voters when casting their ballot to a more discussion-friendly venue.

Recommendations

For the actual recommendations I can see why we'd want to eliminate the quoting of foreigners (which, frankly, has caused some problems with people being upset about having their already public statements publicized), but I think we should at least keep a section of opinions from TSPers in there. Whether those should come from a pre-discussion before a proposal is put to vote, or from a final statement a voter has put on their ballot, I'm completely open to using either or both. We could also, if we're going with the pre-compilation of major points brought up in the debate (as I mentioned in the Voting part), reproduce that in the final recommendation instead, or additionally.

Some technical stuff

If we want to remove the OWL nation access problem, our likely options right now would be waiting for the MoE dispatch system to be ready or using a reworked OWL Bot - I know I'm not exactly unbiased on this issue as the bot's creator, but I'd say I could rework the bot to do all the actions that require access to the nation and also (semi-)automate tedious paperwork (as mentioned before). For example (regarding my suggestions above), nations could (un)subscribe by (un)liking a given RMB post (less accessible than subscriptions via telegram because it'd require a nation to reside in TSP / an embassy region of TSP if done in the main region, but completely automatic covering of TSP subscribers, and manual subscriptions from somewhere else could still be handled by telegramming the OWL Director), and the vote opening and recommendation publishing can be done by publishing a dispatch pinging all those subscribers - therefore, all tasks requiring access to the nation could be completed through the bot with manual triggering by a staff member, so no need to have a separate "elite" group of people that are trusted to not destroy the Voting Center.
[Image: koC8Gf6.png]
[Image: Sl6mZCD.png] [Image: iEwICrf.png] [Image: IL1nUV5.png] [Image: RLU6NBO.png] [Image: MbXQuqv.png]
[-] The following 3 users Like anjo's post:
  • HumanSanity, Moon, Tin the Free

Messages In This Thread
RE: Discord discussion re OWL + talk more here - by anjo - 07-16-2021, 02:52 PM