We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Discord discussion re OWL + talk more here

Alright. I've skimmed this thread over twice. First, I'm going to copy and paste my personal OWL suggestions I drafted on a Google Doc over the last few weeks. This was done of my own volition after being promoted to Senior Staff, but it may be productive here, at least in getting my thoughts out. These are all informal suggestions that popped into my mind one way or another, I'm more attached to some than others.

Quebecshire's Google Doc Wrote:A compilation of some ideas and suggestions I had for the management and presentation of the Office of the WA Legislation. I have made a Google Doc so they could all be in one place.
  1. Forum re-organization.
    1. Currently, there is a World Assembly subforum in the Fudgetopia Government Center. It has a few threads, the main one specifies that it is not actively used and links to a (now defunct) Discord server and the OWL voting RMB. I suggest that we archive the entire World Assembly Center subforum and instead open an Office of WA Legislation subforum in the Executive Offices subforum. Considering OWL is included in the “Join the Executive Branch!” thread, this seems to make sense for consistency. While most of our operations take place on-site or on Discord, we could use the subforum for feedback, any significant announcements, or et cetera.
  2. Alterations to the formatter to include a Partnership for Sovereignty section.
    1. I already mentioned this on Discord briefly. I’m not sure how technologically feasible this is, but if it’s something we can do, I would suggest subdivision in the opinions section for PfS recommendations. Ideal placement would be below TSP citizens but above the “from the world” section. In the event of no PfS recommendation to be cited, it would simply be absent from the dashboard. In my view, this helps increase connectivity and collaboration between OWL and the PfS as well as standardize our method of citing PfS recommendations in our dashboards.
  3. A mechanism by which we can determine that the OWL nation should post our recommendation on the relevant subforum on the NationStates forums. I suggest the three following avenues,
    1. The Delegate requests it
    2. The Prime Minister requests it 
    3. The Director (maybe in consensus with Senior Staff?) requests it

Regarding suggestion one, I'm partial a bit to gameside votes but I'm seeing some convincing arguments for changing that. I am concerned with the quality of debate on the RMB as it's a few regular contributors and little activity otherwise. Either way, there definitely needs to be some updating of our WA stuff forumside in my opinion.

Regarding suggestion two, I think this one is pretty clear-cut and reasonable. We've incorporated PfS recommendations into our dashboards in the past but I would like a uniform way of doing so for the future, even if partly for my own aesthetic desires. I'm also of the opinion that we should always quote the PfS rec especially so long as we include a general worldwide opinions section, which I'm mixed on if not leaning against keeping. Sometimes opinions are few and far between there and I'm not sure it's worth the time spent trying to gather global opinions. Tounge

The third isn't something I'm super attached to (particular the criteria for enacting it), it's just something that's crossed my mind in the past as a possible way to really plant our foot in the global center of discussion and say "TSP says this and why."

I obviously agree OWL has some structural issues. I will say that OWL has been among my favorite things to work in since joining the South Pacific until this point, probably only exceeded by SPSF/defending work. I'd love to see an OWL that engages more people in debate itself even if that's an uphill battle, as well as one that makes things a little easier for people to get stuff done (I'm sure you guys have seen me post my little checklist and edit emojis into it as I get stuff done in opening and closing votes). 

@Moon regarding your concern about my MoC election and OWL stuff, I ran for MoC expecting it to detract from other activities, I remain committed to OWL and making sure I'm helping it as much I can as we try to fix it up (I didn't interpret it as you thinking I couldn't, I just figured since I'm here now I'd clarify that OWL is still something I'm paying close attention/work to).

Amerion has been pretty engaged with OWL lately and that's been a refresher, for what it's worth. That's not huge in terms of structural reform but I wanted to note it as I've certainly noticed and been fond of that. 

I'm sure I'll have more thoughts and more specific suggestions and opinions as I read more and we continue discussing, but since I have access now I wanted to at least get the above out.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Discord discussion re OWL + talk more here - by Quebecshire - 08-10-2021, 11:11 PM