We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[PASSED] [2229.CN] Nomination of Moon as General

Legislators of the Assembly,

I come before you today as your Minister of Defense to provide official notice that I have nominated Moon (Emodea) to join the General Corps, pursuant to my statutory power under Article 1, Section 3 of the Military Code, and to seek approval for this appointment from the Assembly.

Moon first joined the South Pacific Special Forces in March of last year. In the time since then, he has established himself, in addition to other contributions to our region, as an outstanding presence on and off the battlefield. In his service thus far, he has already become among the most prolific updaters in the Special Forces, with nearly 400 updates attended, over 1,750 chasing defenses, and over 1,500 detagging operations recorded at the time of writing. This consistent dedication to defending the interests and values of the Coalition alone warrants recognition.

In April of this year, Moon was promoted to the rank of Commander, and working with him in my capacity as Minister of Defense has been a thoroughly positive experience. In addition to an integral role in planning and running operations, Moon has proven to be a reliable source of thoughtful feedback, insight, and ideas. I am confident that Moon will have no issue stepping up to the elevated responsibilities of a General, not only with planning and overseeing military operations but also with helping to ensure the continued development of our regional military.

Thus, after consultation with the General Corps, it is my distinct pleasure today to come before the Assembly seeking its approval for the appointment of Moon as a General of the South Pacific Special Forces.

I remain available to answer any and all questions regarding this appointment.
[Image: flag%20of%20esfalsa%20animated.svg] Esfalsa | NationStatesWiki | Roleplay | Discord

[Image: rank_officer.min.svg] [Image: updates_lifetime_2.min.svg] [Image: defenses_lifetime_4.min.svg] [Image: detags_lifetime_3.min.svg]
[-] The following 9 users Like Pronoun's post:
  • Amerion, Cloud, HumanSanity, Killer, Purple Hyacinth, Roavin, Ryccia, The Haughtherlands, Zukchiva

Thank you Minister Pronoun for the nomination. I'm happy to answer any questions the members of the Assembly might have about this.

Full. Support.

What do you believe to be the role of Generals of the SPSF?

What do you believe to be the role of Generals in the day-to-day operations of the SPSF?
Minister of Foreign Affairs
General of the South Pacific Special Forces
Ambassador to Balder
Former Prime Minister and Minister of Defense

[Image: rank_general.min.svg] [Image: updates_lifetime_3.min.svg] [Image: detags_lifetime_4.min.svg] [Image: defenses_lifetime_4.min.svg]

[Image: ykXEqbU.png]

Yes, Emodea for general

Quote:What do you believe to be the role of Generals of the SPSF?
As I understand, the Generals of the SPSF have traditionally discharged two key responsibilites during their tenures;
  • Assisting the Minister of Defense and associated officers in leading the SPSF through the providing of sound advice and insight. As Generals are often the most hardened leaders of our regional military, with their prodigious expertise and extensive connections backing up their experience, their primary task is to advise the Minister in matters of importance and making sure that the decisions taken by them are reasonable and ultimately beneficial for the SPSF in the long run. This also goes for any project the Minister might choose to pursue in order to improve the MoD/SPSF, with a General being expected to help them out with those projects from time to time.
  • Maintaining the infrastructure of the MoD/SPSF, freeing up the Minister to pursue their own portfolio of projects. Procedural work like processing and integrating new recruits, ensuring that our gameside and offsite resources are regularly updated, and deliberating and announcing personnel decisions should be handled by the Generals, with necessary input from the Minister and other officers.
It goes without saying, but I believe myself to be more than capable of performing the said duties that would be charged upon me if I were to confirmed as a General by the Assembly.
Quote:What do you believe to be the role of Generals in the day-to-day operations of the SPSF?
I would say a General's role isn't usually that different from that of a Commander or an Officer in the regular missions the SPSF participates in. A General is obviously still capable of leading our troops in military operations just like an Officer does, and once again obviously has the permission to plan and execute larger, long-term operations like a Commander does. These roles still exist, as far as I'm concerned, and just because someone becomes a General doesn't mean that they're going to stop doing these things all of a sudden.

However, when we consider the overall direction of the SPSF, it's where a General starts to showcase their influence. As stated in Section 1.(2) of the Military Code, the General Corps is the "supreme entity leading the military, hold responsible for the planning and overseeing all the missions of the military". This phrase clearly lays out what the role of the Generals is in guiding the overall direction of the SPSF, with them acting as the principal leaders of the SPSF, in charge of making all the high-level decisions that facilitates these day-to-day operations that we're talking about. These decisions directly affect the things the SPSF does at the regular updates; for example, in the hypothetical scenario that the General Corps decides that we'll adopt a TITO-esque model of defending and continue doing things on our own while cooperating with Libcord through our officers, then that's obviously going to drastically affect how the SPSF conducts its operation. As such, it falls upon the Generals to ensure that such a momentous decision is taken considering every contextual factor available to them and weighing out the pros and cons. This is where a General would differ from a Commander or an Officer; a Commander or an Officer don't have the authority to decide the general path the SPSF ends up taking, they would be mostly concerned with the on-field activities of it. On the other hand, a General has the authority to do so with consensus from their fellow Generals. That's what, in my opinion, separates a General from a Commander or an Officer in terms of what role they have in the day-to-day operations of the SPSF.
[-] The following 2 users Like Moon's post:
  • HumanSanity, Konsa

Thank you for your responses! I look forward to voting for this
Ambassador to Balder

[Image: rank_general.min.svg] [Image: updates_lifetime_3.min.svg] [Image: detags_lifetime_4.min.svg] [Image: defenses_lifetime_4.min.svg]

[Image: K5IlRZv.png]

Legislators,

Please be advised that this nomination has been designated 2229.CN in official records, and its reference name is Nomination of Moon to the General Corps. Since this is a Cabinet nomination, minimum debate time before voting will be from 08–11 July.
— Chair of the Assembly

I think Moon will be a great addition to our General Corps, which definitely needs some more people to flesh out the ranks! Since it's now July 11, I motion this to vote.

Seconded
Ambassador to Balder