We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Term Lengths for Executive Office

Regardless of how the executive is structured after other discussions in the GC, the executive will almost certainly be elected and serve a certain term-length. I think we should talk about whether the four month terms the executive currently serves are beneficial.

I will argue in favor of three month terms. From my perspective, empirically, most Ministers are burnt out by the end of the third month, and those who aren't would generally run for another term anyways. There are few (if any) projects that require the additional month, and if Ministers wish to prioritize a project, they should simply be more careful about picking and choosing what they want to accomplish. Additionally, a three month term introduces more regular accountability to the executive and more timely review of executive actions.
Minister of Foreign Affairs
General of the South Pacific Special Forces
Ambassador to Balder
Former Prime Minister and Minister of Defense

[Image: rank_general.min.svg] [Image: updates_lifetime_3.min.svg] [Image: detags_lifetime_4.min.svg] [Image: defenses_lifetime_4.min.svg]

[Image: ykXEqbU.png]
[-] The following 2 users Like HumanSanity's post:
  • Moon, Roavin

I'm not oppossed to a three month cycle but if we do it we need to streamline elections. We can't be in a situation again where it takes a month to elect a new cabinet and then they have two months to do things before being running for election again.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]
[-] The following 2 users Like Belschaft's post:
  • HumanSanity, Rebeltopia

(07-18-2022, 04:41 PM)Belschaft Wrote: I'm not oppossed to a three month cycle but if we do it we need to streamline elections. We can't be in a situation again where it takes a month to elect a new cabinet and then they have two months to do things before being running for election again.
Do you think elections need to be streamlined more than they already are with 6 days of campaigns and 3 days of voting? I'm certainly open to it, but I think our current process is relatively streamlined
Ambassador to Balder

[Image: rank_general.min.svg] [Image: updates_lifetime_3.min.svg] [Image: detags_lifetime_4.min.svg] [Image: defenses_lifetime_4.min.svg]

(07-18-2022, 05:54 PM)HumanSanity Wrote:
(07-18-2022, 04:41 PM)Belschaft Wrote: I'm not oppossed to a three month cycle but if we do it we need to streamline elections. We can't be in a situation again where it takes a month to elect a new cabinet and then they have two months to do things before being running for election again.
Do you think elections need to be streamlined more than they already are with 6 days of campaigns and 3 days of voting? I'm certainly open to it, but I think our current process is relatively streamlined

Dunno if it's just me but generally it seems like by the 3rd or 4th day most people are done asking questions if more than one person is running.
"After he realizes this newfound power of his to override the hopes and dreams of republicans, he puts all of the united provinces under his control."
one time minister of culture

[Image: rank_trainee.min.svg] [Image: updates_lifetime_1.min.svg] [Image: detags_lifetime_2.min.svg]

(07-18-2022, 11:17 PM)im_a_waffle1 Wrote:
(07-18-2022, 05:54 PM)HumanSanity Wrote:

Dunno if it's just me but generally it seems like by the 3rd or 4th day most people are done asking questions if more than one person is running.

That's fair, although people do need time to post their campaigns.
Ambassador to Balder

[-] The following 1 user Likes HumanSanity's post:
  • im_a_waffle1

I like the idea of a three month term, though like Belschaft said elections can take long and shorten the term of the new cabinet. I would like to see the elections done earlier so that voting ends on the first day of the month. The cabinet can still do things during the elections so their time is not limited.
[-] The following 2 users Like Murelia's post:
  • im_a_waffle1, Killer

Coming in a month and a half later to say that I support this proposal. I'm not gonna lie. Mentally, I've checked out already. I've even taken the initiative to draft the amendment. To make the timing ever convenient, two of the four cabinet elections will coincide with delegate elections.

THE CHARTER OF THE SOUTH PACIFIC

VI. THE EXECUTIVE

Elections

(6) Executive elections will be held every three four months, where the Prime Minister and all Cabinet positions will be up for election.

Elections Act
An act establishing elections for office

4. Offices of the Cabinet

(1) On the first of every January, April, July, February, June and October, the Assembly will convene to elect the Prime Minister and the Cabinet.
4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History

(09-07-2022, 04:48 PM)Jay Coop Wrote: To make the timing ever convenient, two of the four cabinet elections will coincide with delegate elections.

This is not a good thing. Elections should not happen simultaneously.
Republic of Lansoon (Pacifica)

(09-07-2022, 05:55 PM)Comfed Wrote:
(09-07-2022, 04:48 PM)Jay Coop Wrote: To make the timing ever convenient, two of the four cabinet elections will coincide with delegate elections.

Why not?
ProfessorHenn
Legislator

(09-07-2022, 05:56 PM)ProfessorHenn Wrote:
(09-07-2022, 05:55 PM)Comfed Wrote:

Why not?
They suck interest away from each other.
Republic of Lansoon (Pacifica)