We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Local Council

The MoGA vote failed by a very close margin - about 74% -  and the more radical bicameral proposal even had majority support; so, I was thinking that there does seem to be a predominant view that The South Pacific needs to do more to democratize itself towards its citizens.

So I have a different idea - which kind of takes the idea of the gameside electing their own officials - but without a legislature. The idea is a local council of residents. It's not a legislature, it's just a body of Councillors - I'm thinking three people. 

Essentially, potential Councillors would have to petition for support from residents - support from five other residents. All those nominated would be voted on in a regional poll with native WAs - the top three candidates would be selected as Councillors for a short term.

The local council would be given jurisdiction to decide on local matters:
- RMB Adspam
- Regional communication
- Reporting NS rulebreakers to the judiciary. (The judiciary is supposed to try people for conduct violations, but no such trials ever occur).
- Regional polls.
- Embassy requests.
- Welcome telegrams.
- RMB permissions (foreigners). 

And would work with the Cabinet (especially the Ministry of Regional Affairs) on cultural events game-side to organise, plan and launch them. Furthermore, they'd work with the CSS in times of emergency, helping with communication to the rest of the region. 

In the long-run, I could see the Fellowship Programme being run by the local council - and the Ministry of Regional Affairs taking more of a oversight role (an idea-maker body), because currently, the MoRA has a far more intensive and demanding mandate than any of the other ministries which suggests it could use its own local bureaucracy.

I do like the idea of a local council however I would only want it on NS. I wouldn't like, as you suggested the Fellowship Programme being run by the council, as some of the things we do in the FP differ a bit from NS.
Europeian Ambassador to The South Pacific
Former Local Council Member
Former Minister of Regional Affairs
Former High Court Justice

I'm...not sure how the FP would have a part in this, since what MoRA does is process applications, nothing more.

I like the idea of a Local Council in theory, but I have two concerns:

1. Regulating adspam and embassies should remain a power of the Delegate.
2. I am not sure what the Council is supposed to be doing about Polls and Welcome Telegrams, since those are set by the Delegate.
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

I like the idea, with some of the changes suggested by Kringle and Punchwood.
Darkstrait  :ninja:

Former Justice, Former Local Councilor, Roleplayer, Former SPSF Deputy for Recruitment, Politically Active Citizen, Ex-Spammer Supreme, and Resident Geek

"Hats is very fashion this year."

Quote:2. I am not sure what the Council is supposed to be doing about Polls and Welcome Telegrams, since those are set by the Delegate.

Suggestions for new polls and suggestions for reforming the welcome telegram.

Oh. That is good then.
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

Here is my first draft for the proposal:

Article 8: The Local Council

Section 1 - Membership
1. Three citizens of The South Pacific shall serve on the Local Council.
2. The election of councillors shall be decided by resident voters in The South Pacific.
3. The Local Council will serve a term lasting four months.
4. Procedures for the election of the Local Council must be defined in the Code of Laws.

Section 2 - Purpose and Mandate
1. The Local Council shall serve as a voice for residents to the Cabinet and the Assembly.
2. Primarily, the Local Council shall be concerned with local matters and policies which affect residents game-side. 

Section 3 - Powers and Responsibilities
1. The Local Council shall endeavor to improve communication to residents and promote more local awareness of the region's ongoing activities. 
2. Conduct violations should be reported to the judiciary by the Local Council. 
3. The Local Council may make recommendations to the Delegate with regards to the regulation of the Regional Message Board (e.g., permissions), the creation of new regional polls, in addition to any changes to the regional welcome telegram and the World Factbook Entry. 
4. In the event of a State of Emergency, the Local Council may assist the Committee for State Security (CSS) in communicating with residents at the CSS's request. 
5. The Local Council shall work with the Ministry of Regional Affairs to promote regional integration and to devise and organise regional cultural events and practices.
6. Municipal ordinances may be introduced by the Local Council unanimously as regional policies in cases where no law exists; Municipal ordinances may not conflict with the Charter, Bill of Rights, or Code of Law, and must be approved by the Assembly. 

Article 1: Elections

Section 1 - General Elections
1. Elections for all Cabinet positions shall commence on the fifteenth of every March, July, and November.
2. Elections for Court Justices shall commence on the first of every April, August, and December.
3. Elections for Local Councillors shall commence on the first of every June, September, and January. 
3. Terms for all Cabinet positions shall commence on the first of every April, August, and December; terms for Justices shall commence on the fifteenth of every April, August, and December, while terms for Local Councillors on the fifteenth of every June, September, and January. 
4. All elections shall consist of a pre-voting period lasting six days and a voting period lasting three days. Citizens shall have to declare their candidacy or accept their nomination within the first three days of the pre-voting period.
5. Runoff elections will begin within twenty-four hours of the initial vote closing and consist of a voting period lasting three days.
6. No one can run for or hold more than one Cabinet position, or more than one Justice position, or more than one Local Council position or both a Cabinet, Justice or Local Council position at any given time.
7. Candidates for elections may self-declare or be nominated by another Citizen. Candidates must file a Conflict of Interest Disclosure at the time of their acceptance of a nomination or self-declaration.
8. Nominations may be accepted in absentia, as long as they are sent to the Election Commissioner at most two weeks before the start of the pre-voting period, and include a Conflict of Interest disclosure.
9. Conflict of Interest Disclosures must include current World Assembly Nation, all past and present aliases used, all past and present involvement in other regions and organizations, and all current positions held across NationStates.

Section 2 - Position Specificities
1. The Delegate and Vice Delegate will run on a joint ticket and be elected by a majority vote. If no ticket receives a majority vote a runoff election with the two tickets receiving the most votes will occur.
2. Cabinet offices will be voted on separately and be elected by a plurality vote. Court Justices will be voted through a single ballot, with the three candidates who receive the most votes winning seats.
3. In all elections an option to re-open nominations will be included. For non-judicial elections, if this option receives the most votes the nomination period for that office will be restarted.
4. For Local Council elections, at least five residents must express their support for the nomination of every recognized candidate. Voting for the Local Council shall take place through a regional poll open to all 'native' WA residents. The Local Council will be voted through a single ballot, with the three candidates who receive the most votes winning seats.
5. For Court Justice and Local Council elections, if the option to Re-Open Nominations receives enough votes to be placed within the top four, then the nomination period will be restarted for all seats with lesser votes than this option. The candidates who receive the top votes will win however many seats are left to be filled.

Just a few comments:

1. The Delegate already has the explicit power to regulate adspam. Could we clarify that these permissions in Article 8, Section 2.5 refer to posting by foreign nations?
2. Article 8, Section 2.8 says that Municipal Ordinances must be approved by the Assembly. Wouldn't it be better to let the Assembly override Ordinances, or have the Court strike them down, if they conflict with any law?
3. What does Article 8, Section 2.8 mean by "regional policies"?
4. Since the Local Council would have three members, you might want to correct the wording of Article 1, Section 2.5, about RON getting to the top four, which is only for Justice elections.

Otherwise, I like the idea, an it should provide new dynamic to the region.

Legal Resources:

Quote:1. The Delegate already has the explicit power to regulate adspam. Could we clarify that these permissions in Article 8, Section 2.5 refer to posting by foreign nations?

Since they're just recommendations either way, I wouldn't want to expand the length of the legislation to explain that.

Quote:2. Article 8, Section 2.8 says that Municipal Ordinances must be approved by the Assembly. Wouldn't it be better to let the Assembly override Ordinances, or have the Court strike them down, if they conflict with any law?

I think it's easy to say the Assembly approves them - plus, it gives some attention to the activities of the Council. I don't anticipate too much animosity between the Assembly and the Local Council, given approvals are usually fairly easy to achieve in the Assembly.

Quote:3. What does Article 8, Section 2.8 mean by "regional policies"?

Policy means things that the region is expected to follow. It's deliberately vague, because I anticipate ordinances being used for things we can't predict right now - like, perhaps Zombie preparation and stuff like that.

Quote:4. Since the Local Council would have three members, you might want to correct the wording of Article 1, Section 2.5, about RON getting to the top four, which is only for Justice elections.

Should that not say 'top three' for Justices anyways? I'll try to reword it.

Article 8: The Local Council

Section 1 - Membership
1. Three citizens of The South Pacific shall serve on the Local Council.
2. The election of councillors shall be decided by resident voters in The South Pacific.
3. The Local Council will serve a term lasting four months.
4. Procedures for the election of the Local Council must be defined in the Code of Laws.

Section 2 - Purpose and Mandate
1. The Local Council shall serve as a voice for residents to the Cabinet and the Assembly.
2. Primarily, the Local Council shall be concerned with local matters and policies which affect residents game-side.

Section 3 - Powers and Responsibilities
1. The Local Council shall endeavor to improve communication to residents and promote more local awareness of the region's ongoing activities.
2. Conduct violations should be reported to the judiciary by the Local Council.
3. The Local Council may make recommendations to the Delegate with regards to the regulation of the Regional Message Board (e.g., permissions), the creation of new regional polls, in addition to any changes to the regional welcome telegram and the World Factbook Entry.
4. In the event of a State of Emergency, the Local Council may assist the Committee for State Security (CSS) in communicating with residents at the CSS's request.
5. The Local Council shall work with the Ministry of Regional Affairs to promote regional integration and to devise and organise regional cultural events and practices.
6. Municipal ordinances may be introduced by the Local Council unanimously as regional policies in cases where no law exists; Municipal ordinances may not conflict with the Charter, Bill of Rights, or Code of Law, and must be approved by the Assembly.

Article 1: Elections

Section 1 - General Elections
1. Elections for all Cabinet positions shall commence on the fifteenth of every March, July, and November.
2. Elections for Court Justices shall commence on the first of every April, August, and December.
3. Elections for Local Councillors shall commence on the first of every June, September, and January.
3. Terms for all Cabinet positions shall commence on the first of every April, August, and December; terms for Justices shall commence on the fifteenth of every April, August, and December, while terms for Local Councillors on the fifteenth of every June, September, and January.
4. All elections shall consist of a pre-voting period lasting six days and a voting period lasting three days. Citizens shall have to declare their candidacy or accept their nomination within the first three days of the pre-voting period.
5. Runoff elections will begin within twenty-four hours of the initial vote closing and consist of a voting period lasting three days.
6. No one can run for or hold more than one Cabinet position, or more than one Justice position, or more than one Local Council position or both a Cabinet, Justice or Local Council position at any given time.
7. Candidates for elections may self-declare or be nominated by another Citizen. Candidates must file a Conflict of Interest Disclosure at the time of their acceptance of a nomination or self-declaration.
8. Nominations may be accepted in absentia, as long as they are sent to the Election Commissioner at most two weeks before the start of the pre-voting period, and include a Conflict of Interest disclosure.
9. Conflict of Interest Disclosures must include current World Assembly Nation, all past and present aliases used, all past and present involvement in other regions and organizations, and all current positions held across NationStates.

Section 2 - Position Specificities
1. The Delegate and Vice Delegate will run on a joint ticket and be elected by a majority vote. If no ticket receives a majority vote a runoff election with the two tickets receiving the most votes will occur.
2. Cabinet offices will be voted on separately and be elected by a plurality vote. Court Justices will be voted through a single ballot, with the three candidates who receive the most votes winning seats.
3. In all elections an option to re-open nominations will be included. For non-judicial elections, if this option receives the most votes the nomination period for that office will be restarted.
4. For Local Council elections, at least five residents must express their support for the nomination of every recognized candidate. Voting for the Local Council shall take place through a regional poll open to all 'native' WA residents. The Local Council will be voted through a single ballot, with the three candidates who receive the most votes winning seats.
5. For Court Justice and Local Council elections, if the option to Re-Open Nominations receives enough votes to be placed within the winning selection, then the nomination period will be restarted for all seats with lesser votes than this option. The candidates who receive the top votes will win however many seats are left to be filled.