We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Interview with Bong Load

"I am glad to be back and see all the great things going on in the game."
An Interview with Bong Load

Bong Load is the earliest known Delegate of the South Pacific, whose election predated the formation of the Coalition itself. While estimates are difficult, due to the lack of active recordkeeping, his delegacy probably happened at some point between the first four months of 2003. He is less active nowadays, but he was kind enough to sit down with the Southern Journal and discuss his delegacy, his impression of NationStates today and his personal interests.

How did find NationStates? What made you stick around?
I remember reading about it somewhere. I can't remember where. I studied political science and history in college, so it piques my interest.

You are little known, but records indicate that you are the earliest known Delegate of the South Pacific, having served before the Coalition. Is there anything you could share with us about how the region was back then?
Cutthroat. Lots of scheming to be the Delegate. People would stay on for hors trying to get enough endorsements.

When exactly did you become Delegate? When did you step down from the position?
I remember it was 2004.* I'm not sure when. We didn't have the choice of "stepping down", it was decided solely on endorsements. I want to say I was Delegate for about a month.
*Based on estimates by the Historical Project, his delegacy most likely happened between January and April 2003.

Could you share with us a moment from your delegacy that you feel is, for better or worse, the most memorable?
Getting ad maintaining the endorsements was pretty big. We didn't have extended message boards or the extras the game has today. There was no other political office than the Delegate at that time. And there were only 4 main regions at the time North, South, East and West Pacific. Although others created other regions. The South Pacific was the first region anyone was put into to start the game when I started. The South Pacific started having issues with another region that was started simply called South Pacific (without the "the") and it became pretty large from what I remember ad tried to start a war, but it was only via messages and no one realy took it seriously.

What did you enjoy the most about serving as Delegate? Is there anything that you would change?
I enjoyed the exchanges with the other players. I would like to see a voting system like there is in the WA for electing delegates instead of endorsements to choose leaders.

How do you see the South Pacific now, in terms of culture and politics, as opposed to how it was during your delegacy?
It's a totally different game. You guys have come up with great interactions and extensions of the original game that have made it really cool. I remember with the game started we used to email Max and ask for this feature or that feature and he was like as soon as I can figure out how to do it I'll add it. Well, he's incorporated everything we were asking for back in the day and then some.

Would you get involved in the regional government or in other aspects of the region, if offered the opportunity?
I'm not sure. Maybe someday I will launch a campaign for Delegate again like Jerry Brown did for Governor of California, become governor, leave for a decade or so and then become governor again.

You have a curious nation name. Is there anything you are trying to say to us?
Yes. It is a curious name. Curiosity killed the cat.

I now have to ask the usual off-topic questions. What is your favourite book? Movie? TV show?
Book: The Sickness Unto Death by Søren Kierkegaard. Movie: Americathon. TV Show: Trailer Park Boys.

You are given a lampshade and a grass skirt. What do you do next?
Look for vodka.

Cake or Pie?
Pie.

Do you have any final comments? Something you would like to say to the South Pacific?
I left the game for a while and then came back, life happens and things get busy. But I am glad to be back and see all the great things going on in the game. Feel free to endorse me! Smile
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

First ever Delagate was a Pieist!

Pie at the start! Pie on the 1st of August 2015! Wooo!

All seriousness, very cool read. It would be interesting if they did come back.
#EC4Lyfe

I'm glad to see the Southern Journal doing interviews that link to TSP's history. Great job!

We appreciate that!
I got in touch with BL a while ago, but only got around to sending him the questions a few days ago. I am glad he found the time to follow up with us. Hopefully this will help us all get a better idea of how TSP was back then.

I checked again our sources, and he might have served between January and February 2003. Check the first comment in this blog, for reference.
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

(07-26-2015, 10:30 PM)Feirmont Wrote: First ever Delagate was a Pieist!

XD
Darkstrait  :ninja:

Former Justice, Former Local Councilor, Roleplayer, Former SPSF Deputy for Recruitment, Politically Active Citizen, Ex-Spammer Supreme, and Resident Geek

"Hats is very fashion this year."

(07-26-2015, 10:30 PM)Feirmont Wrote: First ever Delagate was a Pieist!

Down we may be but not out! Cake will one day re-take the delegacy! :tounge:

Excellent article Kris. It's nice to see the Southern Journal going from the current elections to the first delegate.

Don't worry, a devout cakeist in the Vice Delegacy will keep the Pieists in check. Tounge

Great interview Kris!

(07-27-2015, 06:37 PM)Arbiter08 Wrote: Don't worry, a devout cakeist in the Vice Delegacy will keep the Pieists in check. Tounge

Great interview Kris!

:O

Feirmont, is this true? You selected cakeist scum to run as your VD?
Darkstrait  :ninja:

Former Justice, Former Local Councilor, Roleplayer, Former SPSF Deputy for Recruitment, Politically Active Citizen, Ex-Spammer Supreme, and Resident Geek

"Hats is very fashion this year."

The Pie Inquisition shall remain vigilant.