We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Border Control Act

Dear Legislators of the South Pacific,

recent events have demonstrated a gaping hole in our security infrastructure - specifically, there are no legal methods by which the Council on Regional Security, responsible for keeping our region secure, can actually perform its duties in-game. This was readily apparent recently when there was an actual attempt by hostile forces to depose our sitting Delegate. As such, the Cabinet and the Council on Regional Security have together drafted this bill for the Assembly to review. The features, in plain language:
  • The CRS can eject or temporarily banject nations causing an imminent threat to the sitting delegate
  • The CRS can eject or banject nations that are repeatedly violating the endocap for up to two updates
  • The Local Council and/or Delegate can ban(ject) spammers and trolls
  • Anybody with border control is allowed to stop an invasion during the game update (the time when NationStates calculates who the Delegate should be)

Note: "low influence nation", with current game rules, means a nation with 4015 SPDR or less.

Given the delicate situation, especially now that it has been brought to the spotlight (even if in the private Halls), the Cabinet has preemptively signed off unanimously that we will, if necessary, submit this bill as an executive order, as per Article VI Section 11 of the Charter. We hope that this isn't necessary, of course, not just because we prefer things be handled through regular order in the assembly, but also because we hope we won't come into such a security relevant situation.

Quote:
Border Control Act
An act to establish processes for the use of in-game ejection and banning powers

I. Definitions

1. A border control officer is a nation in the South Pacific that, by virtue of being the legal World Assembly Delegate, or by being appointed as Regional Officer with Border Control powers by a legal Delegate, has the ability to eject or ban nations from the South Pacific.

2. A low influence nation is a nation in the South Pacific that holds an influence score in the South Pacific less than or equal to the maximum attainable influence score of a nation without endorsements.

3. A border control action is the act of ejecting or banning a nation from the South Pacific performed by a border control officer. A maximum valid length of a ban may be exceeded if a criminal complaint has been filed and assigned a case number in that time, in which case it may last until the court has issued a verdict and sentence.

II. Powers of the Council on Regional Security

1. The Council on Regional Security may order a border control action when they determine that a nation is contributing to a probable imminent threat of the World Assembly Delegate position being seized by nation other than the legal holder of that position, for up to a week or the time necessary for that nation's influence in the South Pacific to decay to the level of a low influence nation, whichever is longer.

2. The Council on Regional Security may order a border control action against a nation that continuously and defiantly violates the endorsement cap for up to 24 hours.

3. The Council of Regional Security may order a border control action against a nation which is, with probable cause, controlled by the same player as another nation currently subject to a border control action, for the duration of the original nation's border control action.

4. The Council on Regional Security must immediately inform the Cabinet and the Delegate, and inform the Assembly within 24 hours, of having ordered a border control action.

III. Powers of the Local Council and Delegate

1. The Delegate, or a majority of the Local Council, may order a border control action against a nation they determine to be spammers or trolls. The assent of the Council on Regional Security is required if the nation in question is not a low influence nation.

2. The Delegate or Local Council must inform the Council on Regional Security immediately after having ordered a border control action.

IV. Rights of Border Control Officers

1. Border control officers ordered to perform a border control action by an institution they are not a member of are granted immunity for executing that order.

2. Border control officers may unilaterally perform a border control action to prevent probable imminent invasions of the South Pacific in the minutes leading up to the game update of the South Pacific, which they must report to the Council on Regional Security immediately.

As usual, all bill and no questions make Roavin a sad boi.
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]

I strongly support this proposal, as it allows the CRS to enact necessary actions for the security of TSP without sacrificing fundamental liberties.

Questions to make Roa a happy fenda boi.

What exactly are you defining as defiantly violating the endocap?

Clarification, does this act grant the LC BC powers?

I think any one member of the LC should have the right to order the banjection of a nation they seems to be a spammer or a troll. A majority vote seems to be rather a time consuming option, and it is usually preferable to quickly wave goodbye to spammers and trolls. It does require trusting the discretion of each LC member a bit more...but I'd hope that that's something we all trust in.

Marius Rahl

Fortitudine Vincimus!

I like this a lot, this gives much needed in game "padding" to keeping the region secure. I have the same questions as Drall. 

Also, I would think that the CRS would want (and should be given) a bit more time before they must inform the various institutions of their border control actions so they can follow up or investigate.
-Griffindor/Ebonhand
-Current Roles/Positions
-Legislator 2/24/20-
-High Court Justice 6/7/20-
-South Pacific Coral Guard 11/17/20-
-Minister of Engagement 6/17/22-

-Past Roles/Positions
-Legislator 7/3/16-4/10/18
-Secretary of State 4/3/20-2/24/21

-Chair of the APC 9/24/16-5/31/17
-Vice-Chair of the APC 6/1/17-4/10/18
-Local Council Member 7/1/17-11/17/17
-Citizen 5/2012-12/2014 and  2/26/16-7/3/2016

(08-11-2017, 11:45 PM)Drall Wrote: What exactly are you defining as defiantly violating the endocap?

It's purposefully subjective, but the point is (in conjunction with the CRS being encouraged to be lenient in enforcing the cap) that if somebody is told multiple times to quit it, and they just don't care or even respond mockingly despite being super friendly.

(08-11-2017, 11:45 PM)Drall Wrote: Clarification, does this act grant the LC BC powers?

No, though DM may at his discretion - see the Regional Officer Act for that.

I also echo Drall's sentiments and want to put the emphasis on 'defiantly.' If one doesn't know the endocap existed, is that violation defiant? (Sure, you can say that ignorance of the law is no excuse, but they're not intentionally breaking the law! >_> )

Is there a procedure to telegram endocap violators to ensure their compliance without ejection/banjection?

From my reading this act gives the Local Council the authority to request that a nation be banjected, Drall. If that is the case then I agree with you that a singular LC member should be enough to make the request because whichever Border Control official sees the request could review it and be a check on any abuses.

I support this bill, TSP's laws need to further recognize the mechanics of the game and their role in our regional security.
Benevolent Thomas-Today at 11:15 AM
"I'm not sure if Altmoras has ever been wrong about anything."

I'd like to thank the Cabinet for taking threats to the region seriously. I'm glad some of us understand what's at stake here.
-tsunamy
[forum admin]

(08-12-2017, 12:00 AM)Atlae Wrote: I also echo Drall's sentiments and want to put the emphasis on 'defiantly.' If one doesn't know the endocap existed, is that violation defiant? (Sure, you can say that ignorance of the law is no excuse, but they're not intentionally breaking the law! >_> )

Is there a procedure to telegram endocap violators to ensure their compliance without ejection/banjection?

If somebody isn't aware of an endorsement cap, or just didn't see that they were over, then that is obviously not a defiant violation. And yes, the CRS does eventually TG people that are over, as they should.

Full support for this bill. I concur with Tsunamy that it's good to see security taken seriously. This is a well worked bill that avoids any knee-jerk risks and sets up effective checks and balances to ensure these situations are not taken lightly.
[Image: Lj1SunN.png]
Formerly Banned For Still Unspecified "OOC Toxicity"