We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[PASSED] Voting by Military Members in Gameside elections

Recently, a member of the SPSF contacted me in my capacity as Election Admiral General to ask whether they could cast a vote in our ongoing Delegate elections despite currently being on deployment in Iran. As we have not yet established a protocol for this, I informed them that they had to be physically present in the region to cast a vote in the poll and that I am unable to accept 'postal votes'.

My question for the Assembly is whether we should make such an accomodation for our SPSF members with an amendment to the Elections Act?

Edit: Current Draft

Amendment to Article 3 of the Elections Act Wrote:
Elections Act

3. Office of the Delegate

(3) After receiving the top candidates in the forum election, an Election Commissioner will create a week-long regional poll accessible to Native World Assembly members, instructing them to vote for their preferred candidate.
a. A Dispatch containing the campaigns of all candidates will be created to aid voters in their choice.
b. Members of the South Pacific Special Forces who are on deployment for the whole duration of the regional poll are eligible to cast a vote. The Minister of Military Affairs shall provide a list of deployed personnel to the Election Commissioner. Members on the list who send the Commissioner their vote through a telegram and a public post on the Regional Message Board which tags the Election Commissioner and notes who their vote goes towards shall have it added to the final tally.
[-] The following 4 users Like Amerion's post:
  • Divine Owl, Jay Coop, Poppy, VecTa

Yes, we should. SPSF members on deployment should be exempt from this rule and be allowed to vote. It doesn't seem fair that we are not letting a citizen vote for his nation is in another region actually liberating it. I would be prepared to work on an amendment with you.
Al0neForever, joined 9th January 2020
Regional Fellow
SWAN Knight
Legislator
[-] The following 1 user Likes Al0neForever's post:
  • Nakari

Should we work on one together?
Regional Fellow
SWAN Knight
Legislator

It seems reasonable... moma might need to give a list of active participants to EC.... we dont want to disenfranchise our troops.

Yes, true.
Regional Fellow
SWAN Knight
Legislator

It's a rather rough draft. I would appreciate any help in clearing up the language.

Amendment to Article 3 of the Elections Act Wrote:
Elections Act

3. Office of the Delegate

(3) After receiving the top candidates in the forum election, an Election Commissioner will create a week-long regional poll accessible to Native World Assembly members, instructing them to vote for their preferred candidate.
a. A Dispatch containing the campaigns of all candidates will be created to aid voters in their choice.
b. Members of the South Pacific Special Forces who are on deployment for the whole duration of the regional poll are eligible to cast a vote. The Minister of Military Affairs shall provide a list of deployed personnel to the Election Commissioner. Members on the list who send the Commissioner their vote through a telegram and a public post on the Regional Message Board which tags the Election Commissioner and notes who their vote goes towards shall have it added to the final tally.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Amerion's post:
  • Nakari

I'm in favour of this - it's never really been an issue in the past since we haven't had such a long occupation at the same time as Delegate elections, and people who wanted to vote could just join WA in TSP between updates just before the vote would finish.

However, I'm not sure about the telegramming aspect. The final round of delegate voting has always been public, and this seems like a step away from that. It could lead to a slippery slope of "if SPSF members get to vote separately, why can't anyone with a WA?" (which maybe is something to be considered but isn't really in the scope of this discussion). Perhaps a combination of telegramming + an RMB post that pings the Election Commissioner?
[-] The following 2 users Like Nakari's post:
  • Amerion, Divine Owl

(01-14-2020, 06:38 AM)Nakari Wrote: I'm in favour of this - it's never really been an issue in the past since we haven't had such a long occupation at the same time as Delegate elections, and people who wanted to vote could just join WA in TSP between updates just before the vote would finish.

However, I'm not sure about the telegramming aspect. The final round of delegate voting has always been public, and this seems like a step away from that. It could lead to a slippery slope of "if SPSF members get to vote separately, why can't anyone with a WA?" (which maybe is something to be considered but isn't really in the scope of this discussion). Perhaps a combination of telegramming + an RMB post that pings the Election Commissioner?

Good catch Smile

I've amended the proposal accordingly.

Looks alright now. Don't really see anything wrong with it but going to examine it deeper.
Regional Fellow
SWAN Knight
Legislator
[-] The following 1 user Likes Al0neForever's post:
  • Amerion

Realistically speaking how many people does this effect and how often is it likely to occur? I'm reluctant to complicate our processes and reduce the transparency of our elections unless this is a major issue.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]
[-] The following 2 users Like Belschaft's post:
  • Amerion, Divine Owl