We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[DISCUSSION] Non-Aggression Pact with Lazarus

[Image: L3phLbK.png]

PAX POUKAI

Desiring friendship and tranquillity between Lazarus and The South Pacific, both parties ratify this treaty and thereby affirm their mutual respect.

Article I. Recognition of Sovereignty

Section 1. Both signatories recognize the government of the Coalition of the South Pacific as set forth in the Charter and the government of Lazarus as set forth in the Twelfth Mandate as the legitimate ruling bodies of their respective regions

Section 2. Both signatories shall recognize each others' legal successors as the legitimate ruling states of their respective regions.

Article II. Pact of Non-Aggression

Section 1. Both signatories pledge not to declare war against one another.

Section 2. Both signatories pledge not to endeavor, conspire or withhold knowledge of any third party's intentions to invade, raid or otherwise attack their counterpart's home region or possessions.

Section 3. Both signatories pledge not to direct or encourage any person to adopt false pretenses in their counterpart’s on-site or off-site property.

Section 4. Both signatories reserve the right to deploy military forces to regions other than their counterpart's home region and possessions when on opposing sides in military gameplay.

Article III. Cultural and Diplomatic Ties

Section 1. The governments of both parties pledge to seek cooperation on cultural matters.

Section 2. Both signatories will maintain in-game and off-site embassies with each other and will maintain diplomatic representatives in each other’s regions.

Article IV. Amendment, Interpretation, Display, and Repeal

Section 1. All amendments to this treaty must be made bilaterally following negotiations between signatory governments.

Section 2. The parties to this treaty may clarify the terms of this treaty through memorandums of understanding, which shall be posted alongside the treaty.

Section 3. Should either signatory state voluntarily disband without leaving a legal successor or dissolve this treaty in accordance with their own laws, both parties shall be relieved of the commitments made herein.

Section 4. This treaty shall be displayed in a publicly accessible area of the community forums of both parties.

Earlier today, the Cabinet gave its unanimous support to this treaty. As such, I present it to the Assembly for ratification.
[-] The following 8 users Like Omega's post:
  • Beepee, Belschaft, Jay Coop, Roavin, Ryccia, Seraph, Somyrion, VecTa

Can someone give the Assembly a quick update on the government officials and all currently in Laz?

While this seems unproblematic, I'd certainly like more information given our complicated history with the region and some of the people there.
-tsunamy
[forum admin]

(01-30-2020, 06:19 PM)Tsunamy Wrote: Can someone give the Assembly a quick update on the government officials and all currently in Laz?

While this seems unproblematic, I'd certainly like more information given our complicated history with the region and some of the people there.

Delegate: Tubbius
Vice Delegate: New Rogernomics
Prime Minister: Sylven Razedusk
MoFA: McChimp
Director of Military: Whatermelons

(01-30-2020, 09:00 PM)Omega Wrote:
(01-30-2020, 06:19 PM)Tsunamy Wrote: Can someone give the Assembly a quick update on the government officials and all currently in Laz?

I'm going to trust that the esteemed minister did not mean to be a dismissive as it certainly seems.

Would you care to share about your interactions with them? Or thoughts about potential future interactions? I'd appreciate a bit more than this seeming like a rubber stamp.
-tsunamy
[forum admin]

(01-30-2020, 10:07 PM)Tsunamy Wrote:
(01-30-2020, 09:00 PM)Omega Wrote:

I'm going to trust that the esteemed minister did not mean to be a dismissive as it certainly seems.

Would you care to share about your interactions with them? Or thoughts about potential future interactions? I'd appreciate a bit more than this seeming like a rubber stamp. 
Oh, I was under the impression you simply wanted a list of government officials. 
During negotiations I found all parties in Lazarus to engage in good faith seeking something fair and equitable. I believe moving forward, due to the return of Native rule in Lazarus, it may be prudent to investigate a closer relationship with them. I know their culture has been on the upswing and I would hope we are able to engage with them outside of R/D. Lazarus, of course, does hold a special place in my heart as it was where I matured as a player and they are, and almost always have been, a very welcoming region and one with people we can almost always get along with, even though we may disagree on things like ideology.

In terms of R/D, Lazarus only really engages in Warzones and is currently at war with the NPO. I could see the SPSF doing training ops with them as a way to further cooperation, however, this would be up to the MoMA.
Above all else, I hope to be a decent person.
Has Been
What's Next?

CoA: August 2016-January 2017
Minister of Foreign Affairs: October 2019-June 2020, October 2020- February 2021
[-] The following 2 users Like Omega's post:
  • Seraph, VecTa

(01-30-2020, 11:13 PM)Omega Wrote: Oh, I was under the impression you simply wanted a list of government officials. 
During negotiations I found all parties in Lazarus to engage in good faith seeking something fair and equitable. I believe moving forward, due to the return of Native rule in Lazarus, it may be prudent to investigate a closer relationship with them. I know their culture has been on the upswing and I would hope we are able to engage with them outside of R/D. Lazarus, of course, does hold a special place in my heart as it was where I matured as a player and they are, and almost always have been, a very welcoming region and one with people we can almost always get along with, even though we may disagree on things like ideology.

In terms of R/D, Lazarus only really engages in Warzones and is currently at war with the NPO. I good see the SPSF doing training ops with them as a way to further cooperation, however, this would be up to the MoMA.

Thanks Omega; I could've been clearer in my request. A list of names just wasn't helpful to those not intricately involved, but this great summation. Seems like a great direction here. Nice work.
-tsunamy
[forum admin]
[-] The following 2 users Like Tsunamy's post:
  • Omega, Seraph

Seeing the lapse in debate, I move for a vote as soon as the debate period expires.
Above all else, I hope to be a decent person.
Has Been
What's Next?

CoA: August 2016-January 2017
Minister of Foreign Affairs: October 2019-June 2020, October 2020- February 2021

I second that motion.
Founder of the Church of the South Pacific [Forum Thread] [Discord], a safe place to discuss spirituality for people of all faiths and none (currently looking for those interested in prayer and/or "home" groups);
And The Silicon Pens [Discord], a writer's group for the South Pacific and beyond!

Yahweo usenneo ir varleo, ihraneo jurlaweo hraseu seu, ir jiweveo arladi.
Salma 145:8

Take my word for what it’s worth nowadays, but...

I don’t get how this is in TSP’s strategic interests. Lazarus isn’t defender, and has historically been ambivalent towards defenders. I think the only time they weren’t was when they were under NPO influence.

What foreign policy priority does a nonaggression pact with Lazarus fulfill? Lazarus is allied with Osiris and TWP, both of which are on the opposite pole of TSP in interregional alignment. Given the ample history of Lazarus going back on its word to multiple *allies*, what is a reasonable confidence level that Lazarus will remain non aggressive if Osiris or TWP re-engage with TSP?

Lazarus is part of an open-ended war with the NPO. How would this treaty impact any future relationship between TSP and the NPO? And before anyone brings up NPO’s transgression against us, Lazarus (particularly its historic leaders) and its allies have done tenfold worse in the grand scheme of things. If we’re extending an olive branch to Lazarus, one to the NPO isn’t unthinking and the NPO is by and far a more valuable partner in the long term when considering military and intel strength.

Is Tubbius really all that trustworthy of a partner? Did they ever purge the Wolf crew, or are they all still welcome in Laz?

Traditionally, NAPs are stepping stones to treaties. Do we view this one as such? What about Lazarus makes them a viable future ally? How does that fit with TSP’s defender identity?

(02-06-2020, 09:56 AM)sandaoguo Wrote: Take my word for what it’s worth nowadays, but...

I don’t get how this is in TSP’s strategic interests. Lazarus isn’t defender, and has historically been ambivalent towards defenders. I think the only time they weren’t was when they were under NPO influence.

So we should only engage with regions that are defender? Cool. That certainly seems as if that stance shall not antagonize regions that do not wish to follow the defender ideology or limit our scope abroad.

Moreover, Lazarus does not have an alignment due to its history. After seeing outsider raiders, defenders and others tear the region apart, is it no surprise that Lazarus has abandoned the defender ideology and refused to adopt any alignment? Or shall you tell me that TSP can only be friendly to committed defenders and no one else?

Being ambivalent is not the same as outright hostility. Hell, even after the NLO coup, Lazarus remained defender for a while. There is a difference between the two terms, and they have different effects on relationships. In our foreign policy, do we work for ourselves or for defender orthodoxy? Why is Lazarus not being defender such a disadvantageous quality for you?
Quote:What foreign policy priority does a nonaggression pact with Lazarus fulfill? Lazarus is allied with Osiris and TWP, both of which are on the opposite pole of TSP in interregional alignment. Given the ample history of Lazarus going back on its word to multiple *allies*, what is a reasonable confidence level that Lazarus will remain non aggressive if Osiris or TWP re-engage with TSP?

With all due respect, the past is the past. Time moves faster in NS than real-life. If you get to know the community of Lazarus today, you shall be aware that it has changed. A region is made up of individuals, and the content of this group of individuals tends to change. Do you really believe that the Lazarene community of today is the same as in 2017, or even 2011? If so, you fail to grasp just how regions can evolve in NationStates. You of all people should know that. After all, did you not live in a capital-I Independent TSP once?

Look around you in this region and tell me: how many people who are politically influential now did you see when TSP was Independent? Few remain.
Quote:Lazarus is part of an open-ended war with the NPO. How would this treaty impact any future relationship between TSP and the NPO? And before anyone brings up NPO’s transgression against us, Lazarus (particularly its historic leaders) and its allies have done tenfold worse in the grand scheme of things. If we’re extending an olive branch to Lazarus, one to the NPO isn’t unthinking and the NPO is by and far a more valuable partner in the long term when considering military and intel strength.

Really? Was it not the other way around: Lazarus has been but a mere pawn in the schemes of others? One person's actions does not a region make, especially those in a past that does not correlate to the circumstances of the present. If so, then every region is to be viewed as evil and with extreme, paranoic suspicion, including TSP because of the actions of a few in the past.
Quote:Is Tubbius really all that trustworthy of a partner? Did they ever purge the Wolf crew, or are they all still welcome in Laz?

Imki cleared the slate clean. That is what the Twelfth Mandate was supposed to do. In any case, you shall not find many people who are fond of the Wolfist days or that would give EW the delegacy, no questions asked. I do not believe Funk, Lamb Stone and crew are present. Besides, the residence of EW in Lazarus is an internal affair, not one that directly impacts TSP.

Tubbius is not even tainted with past Lazarene NSGP history despite his long years of residence in the region (I think he has been in NS for a decade or so?). He was (at least partially) chosen by Imki as her successor because of that, if I recall accurately. If anyone is less trustworthy than Tubbius, it's you, a vast majority of NSGP, and me.

I know you were opposed to it, but after Hileville's coup, we did not purge those who supported him. We offered amnesty to heal the region. Why should Lazarus be any different?
Quote:Traditionally, NAPs are stepping stones to treaties. Do we view this one as such? What about Lazarus makes them a viable future ally? How does that fit with TSP’s defender identity?

Perhaps accept that regions have the right to choose their own alignment, and that being friendly with non-defenders is not the end of the world or a foreign policy catastrophy?

Regions have their own identities. You said so yourself: TSP has a "defender" identity. However, one must accept that other regions have other values and customs that do not align with our own. Our region itself is not monolithical: I am not a defender nor do I adopt the defender values and way of thinking. Is that so bad? A region acting freely and democratically on what it wishes? Is that not what you stood for when you gave your alignment speech, or am I mistaken?

Moreover, this is only a non-agression treaty. I do not see us becoming allies soon. Being friendly or on speaking terms is not the same as being an ally.
Deputy Regional Minister of the Planning and Development Agency(March 8-May 19, 2014)

Local Council Member(April 24-August 11)

Court Justice of TSP(August 15-December 7)

[-] The following 2 users Like Ryccia's post:
  • Belschaft, Daytime to Night