We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[PASSED] Cultural Act

A draft exists after a brief discussion on Discord.

Quote:
Cultural Act
An act outlining the customs of the South Pacific

1. Identity

(1) The official name of the region is the Coalition of the South Pacific.

(2) The capital of the region is Government Island.

(3) The citizens of the region shall be referred to as South Pacificans.

(4) The official currency of the region is the drama llama.

(5) The official plant of the region is the Cocos nucifera.

(6) The official beverage of the region is South Pacific Iced Tea, the recipe of which shall be composed of but not exclusive to--
a. Long Island iced tea,
b. Curaçao, and
c. Lemon-lime soft drink.

2. Colors

(1) The colors of the South Pacific shall be defined by a name and corresponding hex code.

(2) The official colors of the South Pacific are--
a. South Pacific Blue (#109AED),
b. White (#FFFFFF), and
c. Tropical Orange (#FF9900).
4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History
[-] The following 8 users Like Jay Coop's post:
  • Daytime to Night, Kanglia, phoenixofthesun14, Rabbitz, rosaferri, Seraph, Tin the Free, VecTa

Quote:(6) The official beverage of the region is South Pacific iced tea Iced Tea, the recipe of which shall be comprised of--
a. Long Island iced tea,
b. Curaçao, and
c. Lemon-lime soft drink.
Sorry, it bothered me.

Also, should we add some additional proportions to the mix? Just to make sure that the recipe is followed nicely, but we can add a clause that people can change the proportions to their liking.
~~Rose~~
You may know me as Eggraria!
Roleplayer and Writer

Minister of Culture
Legislator

Office of WA Legislation Staff
Roleplayer - the State of Eggraria

Citizen of The South Pacific above all else.

[-] The following 3 users Like rosaferri's post:
  • Divine Owl, Felis Silvestris Grampia, Rabbitz

I'm not sure about proportions, strength is circumstantial
[-] The following 3 users Like Daytime to Night's post:
  • Divine Owl, Rabbitz, Volaworand

I suggest "the official demonym is 'South Pacifican'" instead of the current wording. Partially to fit the wording better, and also cause "the South Pacificans" sounds awkward to me.

Perhaps make it clear that we don't expect people to use these in their own nation - I can imagine confused new people thinking they need to change their currency to 'drama llama' to fit in. Though we could always encourage them to for regional unity, like TP does with their currency Tounge

Also, the recipe for SPIT isn't right. Long Island Iced Tea isn't an ingredient. SPIT is made like Long Island Iced Tea, but with some of the ingredients substituted. I believe, having a quick look at Long Island Iced Tea recipes, the correct recipe for SPIT is vodka, rum, tequila, blue curacao, and lemon-lime soda. Perhaps we can also create a virgin version...
[-] The following 6 users Like Nakari's post:
  • deftraptor, Divine Owl, Penguin, Rabbitz, Seraph, Somyrion

It's supposed to be triple sec, blue Curacao and lemon and lime soda.
Founder of the Church of the South Pacific [Forum Thread] [Discord], a safe place to discuss spirituality for people of all faiths and none (currently looking for those interested in prayer and/or "home" groups);
And The Silicon Pens [Discord], a writer's group for the South Pacific and beyond!

Yahweo usenneo ir varleo, ihraneo jurlaweo hraseu seu, ir jiweveo arladi.
Salma 145:8
[-] The following 3 users Like Seraph's post:
  • Divine Owl, Nakari, Rabbitz

(03-19-2020, 02:48 PM)Seraph Wrote: It's supposed to be triple sec, blue Curacao and lemon and lime soda.

I'm basing this on the pinned post by Glen, where the blue Curacao seems to replace the triple sec?
[-] The following 3 users Like Nakari's post:
  • Divine Owl, Rabbitz, Roavin

I suggest the removal of Section 2, Part 6: “ Gradients shall not be used for any official graphic of the South Pacific.” While I can see the benefit of making sure our graphics appear bold and strong, I don’t see the need to ban a specific design choice. If a graphic uses a color gradient, then it can downvoted to oblivion if it doesn’t have the right tone. But there may be a graphic in the future that benefits from having a gradient: one that the chamber unanimously votes into use. I’m not advocating for the prominent use of gradients, but I want to protect gradients because I don’t believe in removing any tools from a graphic designer’s toolbox.
[-] The following 1 user Likes deftraptor's post:
  • Rabbitz

(03-19-2020, 12:54 PM)Nakari Wrote: ... the correct recipe for SPIT is vodka, rum, tequila, blue curacao, and lemon-lime soda. Perhaps we can also create a virgin version...

That moment when you realize that most NS players are probably below the legal age to drink (at least the American age), I love it.
-Griffindor/Ebonhand
-Current Roles/Positions
-Legislator 2/24/20-
-High Court Justice 6/7/20-
-South Pacific Coral Guard 11/17/20-
-Minister of Engagement 6/17/22-

-Past Roles/Positions
-Legislator 7/3/16-4/10/18
-Secretary of State 4/3/20-2/24/21

-Chair of the APC 9/24/16-5/31/17
-Vice-Chair of the APC 6/1/17-4/10/18
-Local Council Member 7/1/17-11/17/17
-Citizen 5/2012-12/2014 and  2/26/16-7/3/2016
[-] The following 2 users Like Griffindor's post:
  • Divine Owl, Rabbitz

(03-19-2020, 06:48 PM)deftraptor Wrote: I suggest the removal of Section 2, Part 6: “ Gradients shall not be used for any official graphic of the South Pacific.” While I can see the benefit of making sure our graphics appear bold and strong, I don’t see the need to ban a specific design choice. If a graphic uses a color gradient, then it can downvoted to oblivion if it doesn’t have the right tone. But there may be a graphic in the future that benefits from having a gradient: one that the chamber unanimously votes into use. I’m not advocating for the prominent use of gradients, but I want to protect gradients because I don’t believe in removing any tools from a graphic designer’s toolbox.

I understand your concern, but it's just a matter of graphical uniformity that already exists for TSP in an unofficial capacity. The average joe citizen doesn't get restricted on this, and it's just for the simplistic system that TSP uses for its design. Exemptions can be made, but if we decide to use it, we ought to have an exemption clause (i.e "the officials of each ministry can override graphical design if it suitably follows the graphical code of conduct of TSP")
~~Rose~~
Roleplayer and Writer

Minister of Culture
Legislator

[-] The following 2 users Like rosaferri's post:
  • deftraptor, Rabbitz

Quote:2. Colors

(1) The colors of the South Pacific shall be defined by a name and corresponding hex code.
a. Additional colours may be added in amendment after reasonable prior usage in graphics, however likely to be amended as a secondary color.

(2) The official colors of the South Pacific are--
a. South Pacific Blue (#109AED),
b. White (#FFFFFF), and
c. Tropical Orange (#FF9900).

(3) The secondary colors of the South Pacific are--
a. Beach Froth Blue (#88D5FF),
b. Pacific Sky Blue (#38B9FF),
c. Nemo Blue Medium (#0080C4),
d. Nemo Blue Dark (#0068A0), and
e. Nemo Blue Ultra (#005080).

(4) All designs officially representing the South Pacific must include South Pacific Blue.

(5) Unless a design is meant to represent a special program, event, or group which should stand out as separate from the South Pacific’s main identity, the three fundamental colours should be used before any others are included.

(6) Gradients shall not be used for any official graphic of the South Pacific.
a. A provision for gradients may be used if the ministry or office approving the graphical usage of the ministry or office votes in favour of its usage and adheres to the stylistic goals of the South Pacific's general aesthetical theme.
~~Rose~~
Roleplayer and Writer

Minister of Culture
Legislator

[-] The following 1 user Likes rosaferri's post:
  • Rabbitz