We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[Treaty] Pax Capricorn

Members of the Assembly,
Following the discussion and unanimous approval of the Cabinet, it is my pleasure to present the following non-aggression pact between ourselves and the NPO. Please reach out with any questions relating to the agreement.

Faithfully yours,
Omega
Minister of Foreign Affairs

[Image: L3phLbK.png]

PAX CAPRICORN

Article I. Mutual Recognition of Government Legitimacy.

Section 1. The signatories to this treaty recognize as legitimate governments that government espoused by the authoritative representatives of each region, and will not extend that recognition to any government otherwise represented.

Section 2. The Pacific shall be authoritatively represented by the Emperor in their function as the authoritarian head of its governance, or in their absence by the Consul as the Emperor-appointed deputy of the Emperor.

Section 3. The South Pacific shall be authoritatively represented by the government of the Coalition of the South Pacific, embodied principally for these purposes jointly by the Prime Minister as head of government and the Minister of Foreign Affairs, unless the Council of Regional Security, as the Coalition’s security institution, lawfully declares a state of emergency, in which case it shall be authoritative for the duration of the state of emergency.

Section 4. Should the government of either signatory change, authoritative representation will be performed by the corresponding functionally equivalent positions or institutions.

Article II. Security and Decorum.

Section 1. The signatories shall not attack the home region or any territory of the other signatory.

Section 2. The signatories shall not seek to destabilize or overthrow, either directly or through a third party, the governance of the home region or any territory of the other signatory.

Section 3. The signatories shall not conduct clandestine operations, espionage, or other forms of spying against the other signatory.

Section 4. The signatories shall not publicly censure the other signatory. Views expressed by individual members of the signatories, who are not speaking on behalf of the government, are not to be considered reflective of the government’s stance.

Section 5. The signatories shall not vote for or against a Security Council resolution if doing so directly damages the home region or any territory of the other signatory. The signatories shall either oppose or abstain for condemnations and support or abstain in repeals of condemnations of the other signatory unless explicitly requested by that other signatory.

Section 6: The signatories shall not conspire to commit any of the acts proscribed herein.

Section 7. The signatories shall, in good faith, report any known threat or concern related to the other signatory's security, to the other signatory.

Article III. Cooperation.

Section 1. The signatories will endeavor to conduct communal cultural activities, to the benefit of the people of both signatories.

Section 2. The signatories shall share in-game and off-site embassies in order to allow cross-posting. If an illegal delegate of a signatory region closes the in-game embassy with the signatory region's counterpart, embassies shall be restored immediately following the restoration of the legitimate delegate.

Article IV. Deposit and Clarification.

Section 1. This treaty shall be deposited in the community forums of each signatory such that the authoritative representatives can access it.

Section 2. The signatories to this treaty undertake to settle any and all disputes between them through peaceful means and to refrain from using the threat of force or sanction against one another while this treaty is in force.

Section 3. At any time, the signatories may meet to clarify the terms of this treaty through memorandums of understanding, which shall be posted alongside the treaty.

Article V. Suspension of Terms and Termination of the Treaty.

Section 1. Either signatory may suspend the terms of the treaty if the other signatory has materially breached its terms, until such a time that both signatories peacefully settle the dispute and adopt a memorandum of understanding that the treaty is again in force.

Section 2. Either signatory may terminate the treaty with a public notice to the other signatory, effective after five days.

Article VI. Sunset Provisions.

Section 1. Every twelve months following the adoption of the treaty, it must be renewed through the process laid out for the adoption of new diplomatic agreements in each region’s laws and regulations.

Section 2. The failure to renew the treaty by either party will suspend the treaty’s terms for at most thirty days.

Section 3. Should the treaty not be renewed by both parties by the end of those thirty days, it is to be considered repealed for all intents and purposes.

Above all else, I hope to be a decent person.
Has Been
What's Next?

CoA: August 2016-January 2017
Minister of Foreign Affairs: October 2019-June 2020, October 2020- February 2021
[-] The following 4 users Like Omega's post:
  • Jay Coop, Penguin, phoenixofthesun14, Seraph

Very well-drafted! I especially like the sunset provisions.
-Griffindor/Ebonhand
-Current Roles/Positions
-Legislator 2/24/20-
-High Court Justice 6/7/20-
-South Pacific Coral Guard 11/17/20-
-Minister of Engagement 6/17/22-

-Past Roles/Positions
-Legislator 7/3/16-4/10/18
-Secretary of State 4/3/20-2/24/21

-Chair of the APC 9/24/16-5/31/17
-Vice-Chair of the APC 6/1/17-4/10/18
-Local Council Member 7/1/17-11/17/17
-Citizen 5/2012-12/2014 and  2/26/16-7/3/2016

(04-15-2020, 09:13 PM)Omega Wrote: Section 4. Should the government of either signatory change, authoritative representation will be performed by the corresponding functionally equivalent positions or institutions

There's a period missing at the end.
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

I have an issue with Article II, Section Five mandating that we vote for a repeal of the Pacific's Condemnation. I'd have no issue with us abstaining on such a vote, or voting for it if that represented the wishes of the region, but I don't think it is appropriate to bind our WA vote in such a manner.

I would suggest that the second sentence of the section should be cut, leaving us the option of abstaining. I can understand the Pacific wanting us to not vote against them as part of a non-aggression pact, but I'm not sure they can reasonably request that we vote with them.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Belschaft's post:
  • Somyrion

(04-16-2020, 12:55 PM)Belschaft Wrote: I have an issue with Article II, Section Five mandating that we vote for a repeal of the Pacific's Condemnation. I'd have no issue with us abstaining on such a vote, or voting for it if that represented the wishes of the region, but I don't think it is appropriate to bind our WA vote in such a manner.

I would suggest that the second sentence of the section should be cut, leaving us the option of abstaining. I can understand the Pacific wanting us to not vote against them as part of a non-aggression pact, but I'm not sure they can reasonably request that we vote with them.
I'll be happy to reach out about that.

Kris that is a good catch and I'll be sure to fix it.

UPDATE: The NPO accepted the change and it has been reflected. There might be a small change to ensure it is clear that abstaining is acceptable while voting against the repeal is not.

Update 2: the wording has been clarified by both parties to ensure the intent is clear.
Has Been
What's Next?

Minister of Foreign Affairs: October 2019-June 2020, October 2020- February 2021
[-] The following 1 user Likes Omega's post:
  • Penguin

With Belschaft's amendment I can fully support this
[-] The following 1 user Likes Daytime to Night's post:
  • Omega

I really like this treaty! It's concise and works well to get everything in order.
~~Rose~~
You may know me as Eggraria!
Roleplayer and Writer

Minister of Culture
Legislator

Office of WA Legislation Staff
Roleplayer - the State of Eggraria

Citizen of The South Pacific above all else.

[-] The following 1 user Likes rosaferri's post:
  • Omega

Madame Chair, I move for a vote.
Has Been
What's Next?

[-] The following 1 user Likes Omega's post:
  • phoenixofthesun14

Second.
Founder of the Church of the South Pacific [Forum Thread] [Discord], a safe place to discuss spirituality for people of all faiths and none (currently looking for those interested in prayer and/or "home" groups);
And The Silicon Pens [Discord], a writer's group for the South Pacific and beyond!

Yahweo usenneo ir varleo, ihraneo jurlaweo hraseu seu, ir jiweveo arladi.
Salma 145:8
[-] The following 1 user Likes Seraph's post:
  • phoenixofthesun14

Given that the provision regarding the condemnation repeal was altered I too can support this.