We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[FAILED] CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT - §IV (CREATION OF A PARLIAMENTARIAN)

Fellow Legislators,

I hereby submit this Amendment to the Coalition's Charter, hereto detailing the creation of the role of a "Parliamentarian of the Assembly", who shall serve in the fashion, and be elected in the form, so enumerated and articulated.

It is illustrated here for your consideration.

Charter of the Coalition of the South Pacific Wrote: 
THE CHARTER OF THE SOUTH PACIFIC

IV. THE ASSEMBLY

(4) A Parliamentarian of the Assembly shall be elected in the same fashion as, and for the same term of, the Chair of the Assembly, as established and set forth in the relevant sections above, for the purposes of; issuing impartial analysis of each proposal as it is submitted (i.e; identifying effect, potential conflicts, legislative duplications, etc), in addition to advising the Chair on matters pertaining to the Rules, and, finally, to suggest edits and clarifications to existing legislation for consideration of the Assembly.

(4)(5) ...

Legislator Eligibility

(5)(6) ...
DELEGATE MINISTER to the SOUTH PACIFIC
from the FRR OF ADRIATICAN
CULTURE LEAD - NSCW
LEGISLATOR of the ASSEMBLY

Some quick formatting notes:

1) Please include the title of the law (in this case, "THE CHARTER OF THE SOUH PACIFIC") at the top of the bill
2) Please bold articles ("IV. THE ASSEMBLY") and italicize subheadings ("Legislator Eligibility")
3) You can exclude the section numbers for sections 1, 2, and 3 if you would like
[-] The following 1 user Likes Purple Hyacinth's post:
  • Delegate Vanderpool

(11-15-2020, 04:58 AM)Purple Hyacinth Wrote: Some quick formatting notes:

1) Please include the title of the law (in this case, "THE CHARTER OF THE SOUH PACIFIC") at the top of the bill
2) Please bold articles ("IV. THE ASSEMBLY") and italicize subheadings ("Legislator Eligibility")
3) You can exclude the section numbers for sections 1, 2, and 3 if you would like

Thank you, Madame Chair, input; noted, heeded, and appreciated! Smile
CULTURE LEAD - NSCW

Is there a reason one couldn't request that the Chair appoint a parliamentarian instead of having to spend resources on an election?
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System
[-] The following 2 users Like Kris Kringle's post:
  • Delegate Vanderpool, USoVietnam

One spelling correction: relevant*

It's one I often muddle up myself, so I tend to notice it.
Founder of the Church of the South Pacific [Forum Thread] [Discord], a safe place to discuss spirituality for people of all faiths and none (currently looking for those interested in prayer and/or "home" groups);
And The Silicon Pens [Discord], a writer's group for the South Pacific and beyond!

Yahweo usenneo ir varleo, ihraneo jurlaweo hraseu seu, ir jiweveo arladi.
Salma 145:8
[-] The following 1 user Likes Seraph's post:
  • Delegate Vanderpool

(11-15-2020, 10:35 AM)Kris Kringle Wrote: Is there a reason one couldn't request that the Chair appoint a parliamentarian instead of having to spend resources on an election?

A determination was made, that, an application of democratic principles, in this case, vis a vis mandating this role be elected, should always be the default posture when creating a new role.

Moreover, (and this concern was uniquely mine, but not opposed), preservation of the role's integrity, is dependent, in my opinion, on both its accountability to the Chamber it serves (via popular election by the members thereof), and it's independence from a Chair who may, in the future, dismiss, without immediate check, any Parliamentarian who he, or she, disagrees with (though I must stress, this is more of a safeguard for the future, and not, in any way, anticipatory of how the present Chair may act).

Therefore, it was decided that aims stated, and concerns expressed, in the above, could be satisfied and quelled, respectively, and with minimal disruption to present elections protocol, infrastructure, and procedures, if the Parliamentarian was indeed, elected; so long as said election occurred in tandem with, and was for a term identical to, the Office already being voted on (in this case, the Chair).

I thank you for your input, and welcome further engagement by you, and others, as you, and they may deem necessary and appropriate.
CULTURE LEAD - NSCW

What need or ill is this intended to address?
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]

I don't know where you're getting this idea that a consensus determined that all new roles should be elected. What's more, there is nothing stopping the chair from appointing deputies who could assume roles similar to parliamentarians.
4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History

(11-15-2020, 04:33 PM)Belschaft Wrote: What need or ill is this intended to address?

It's established in the amendment itself, sir.

To provide the Chair dedicated and impartial assistance in interpreting the rules, and to provide the Chamber with suggested edits to existing legislation, as well as to identify potential conflicts and duplications, and to provide analysis of effect of submitted legislation.

This considering the many issues, of varying severity, that Hya has identified in the months that I've been here, and before, and in anticipation of future needs, as well as to alleviate any present stress in the above areas which may exist, and hasn't been aided by a Deputy.
CULTURE LEAD - NSCW

(11-15-2020, 04:34 PM)Jay Coop Wrote: I don't know where you're getting this idea that a consensus determined that all new roles should be elected. What's more, there is nothing stopping the chair from appointing deputies who could assume roles similar to parliamentarians.

It was a consensus reached in conversation between myself and several other legislators, which occurred yesterday/early this morning, via Discord.

And dedicated and focused support, familiar with law, and accountable to the Chamber it serves, in these areas, which are robustly demanding, cannot, in my opinion, be equal to a Deputy, in what essentially amounts to a patronage post.
CULTURE LEAD - NSCW