We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Join the Staff of the Office of WA Legislation

[Image: qJ5AUzC.png]

WHAT IS OWL?

The Office is the South Pacific’s World Assembly program. Its main roles are to:
  • democratically run votes to determine the South Pacific’s regional stance on proposed World Assembly resolutions,
  • write recommendations and compilations of opinions on World Assembly legislation to help inform South Pacifican citizens, and
  • help new authors in the South Pacific write their own resolutions.

To learn the basics of how OWL operates, we recommend that you read through our Beginner's Guide.

WHAT DO OWL STAFF DO?

OWL welcomes anyone who has further interests in the WA no matter their experience and want to contribute to the wider community. The Office's staff are responsible for keeping the entire process ticking. The staff have two main roles: opening and closing votes on World Assembly legislation, and writing recommendations for our recommendation dashboards.

There are two primary ranks of seniority in the Office of World Assembly Legislation: senior staff and junior staff. Senior staff oversee all operations within the office, as well as events and group projects (like group resolution writing). Senior staff are responsible for opening votes on proposals and writing OWL’s analysis of each proposal, and are appointed directly by the WA Secretary (the head of OWL). Junior staff carry out the basic procedural responsibilities of the Office. A junior staff member’s responsibilities consist of regularly checking in on forums and proposals that have been submitted, notifying a senior staff member about any proposals likely to be submitted or reach queue. Junior staff are also responsible for preparing text for the recommendation dashboard, including compiling opinions, counting up votes, and formatting the dispatch.

If you're interested in learning even more about the specifics of OWL staff members' responsibilities, you can check out our Internal Procedure Guide.

HOW DO I JOIN THE STAFF?

Anyone with their WA nation in the South Pacific can apply to join the OWL junior staff. Just follow these three steps:
  1. Have a nation in the South Pacific. If your main nation is already somewhere else and you can't move it, you can just make a new nation.
  2. Register a Discord account (an instant messaging service that TSP uses). Join the South Pacific's Discord server. OWL is run via a private section of TSP's Discord server, which allows us to communicate and coordinate more efficiently. If you want to be a part of OWL's staff, you have to be on Discord!
  3. Register an account on this forum, if you don't already have one. Scroll down to the bottom of this thread to make a new post. Copy the form below into the new post, then fill it in.
Code:
1. Link to your main nation in the South Pacific:

2. Link to your nation in the World Assembly, if different:

3. Do you have any experience in writing on NationStates? If so, what have you written?

4. How often do you check the World Assembly forums currently?

5. If given the option, would you prefer to focus on the General Assembly or the Security Council (or no preference)?

Once you have completed these three steps, the OWL Secretary will process your application. If you are accepted, you will be notified on Discord and added to the OWL private area of the server. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to message the OWL Secretary (@anjo#3888) on Discord!

[-] The following 5 users Like Somyrion's post:
  • anjo, Apatosaurus, Free Las Pinas, Purple Hyacinth, Swifty

1. Link to your main nation in the South Pacific: https://www.nationstates.net/nation=concrete_slab

2. Link to your nation in the World Assembly, if different: Same

3. Do you have any experience in writing on NationStates? If so, what have you written? I have two GA resolutions, one SC resolution, and I co-authored another SC resolution

4. How often do you check the World Assembly forums currently? Not very much these days but I can get back into it. 

5. If given the option, would you prefer to focus on the General Assembly or the Security Council (or no preference)?  If I had to pick probably the SC but I don't have much of a preference.
Concrete Slab
Coral Guard Member
5x Local Councillor 
TSP Legislator and Citizen
Ambassador to the League 
Author of GAR #471, #479, and SCR #271
Co-author of SCR #300
Founded 1/25/18
[-] The following 1 user Likes Concrete Slab's post:
  • anjo

1. Link to your main nation in the South Pacific: Apatosaurus

2. Link to your nation in the World Assembly, if different: Varies due to R/D, but on the "A time traveller" puppet series usually (currently #20)

3. Do you have any experience in writing on NationStates? If so, what have you written? None, except I am currently drafting an SC resultion (see
here)

4. How often do you check the World Assembly forums currently? Not very

5. If given the option, would you prefer to focus on the General Assembly or the Security Council (or no preference)? Security Council
[-] The following 1 user Likes Apatosaurus's post:
  • anjo

1. Link to your main nation in the South Pacific: Doge Land

2. Link to your nation in the World Assembly, if different: Same nation

3. Do you have any experience in writing on NationStates? If so, what have you written? Nothing that applies to the WA

4. How often do you check the World Assembly forums currently? Not that often; sometimes I stroll through and look at the drafts

5. If given the option, would you prefer to focus on the General Assembly or the Security Council (or no preference)? I don't have a real preference, but I am leaning a little bit towards GA just because there'd be more to write about
"After he realizes this newfound power of his to override the hopes and dreams of republicans, he puts all of the united provinces under his control."
one time minister of culture

[Image: rank_trainee.min.svg] [Image: updates_lifetime_1.min.svg] [Image: detags_lifetime_2.min.svg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes im_a_waffle1's post:
  • anjo

1. Link to your main nation in the South Pacific: Qvait

2. Link to your nation in the World Assembly, if different: n/a

3. Do you have any experience in writing on NationStates? If so, what have you written?

I am a former writer at NationStates Today, in roleplay, and at the now-nonexistent Ministry of Regional Affairs. I do not have any experience writing World Assembly resolutions.

Between once a week or once a month.

5. If given the option, would you prefer to focus on the General Assembly or the Security Council (or no preference)?

Either.
4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History
[-] The following 2 users Like Jay Coop's post:
  • anjo, Somyrion

1. Link to your main nation in the South Pacific: https://www.nationstates.net/nation=southernsanity

2. Link to your nation in the World Assembly, if different: https://www.nationstates.net/nation=humansanity (cannot be relocated as currently Del of XKI, although leaving at end of term this week, will then be WA mobile for defending)

3. Do you have any experience in writing on NationStates? If so, what have you written? Miscellaneous articles/SC textwalls. Wrote "Liberate The Embassy".

4. How often do you check the World Assembly forums currently? 3-5 times per week

5. If given the option, would you prefer to focus on the General Assembly or the Security Council (or no preference)? SC.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HumanSanity's post:
  • anjo

1. Link to your main nation in the South Pacific: Alfy

2. Link to your nation in the World Assembly, if different: Alfonzo

3. Do you have any experience in writing on NationStates? If so, what have you written? Written one publication for TWP and some reports for TGW. I have also written legislation for my own region

4. How often do you check the World Assembly forums currently? At least once every three days

5. If given the option, would you prefer to focus on the General Assembly or the Security Council (or no preference)? no preference
[-] The following 1 user Likes Alfonzo's post:
  • anjo

1. Link to your main nation in the South Pacific:
Lucabaduka

2. Link to your nation in the World Assembly, if different:
Presently mobile for defending.

In general? I have no idea. I've written a half dozen dispatches that trended at #1 for a bit I guess.
Gameside, I've written GAR#473, GAR#505, SC#326, Issue#1420 and some assorted regional legislation in Refugia.

Between every day to every other day.

Either.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Luca's post:
  • anjo

1. Link to your main nation in the South Pacific: Moonfungus

2. Link to your nation in the World Assembly, if different: Presently WA mobile for defending.

3. Do you have any experience in writing on NationStates? If so, what have you written? Nope, haven't written anything yet.

4. How often do you check the World Assembly forums currently? Once or twice daily.

5. If given the option, would you prefer to focus on the General Assembly or the Security Council (or no preference)? The Security Council would be my preference.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Moon's post:
  • anjo

1. Link to your main nation in the South Pacific: https://www.nationstates.net/nation=osheiga

2. Link to your nation in the World Assembly, if different: n/a

3. Do you have any experience in writing on NationStates? If so, what have you written? None, unless my previous OWL votes count.

4. How often do you check the World Assembly forums currently? I've only checked the World Assembly forums once a proposal was already up for vote (so maybe 2 times a week if I had to give a concrete number), and I've never posted there, but I can check more often if it's necessary.

5. If given the option, would you prefer to focus on the General Assembly or the Security Council (or no preference)? General Assembly
[-] The following 1 user Likes Osheiga's post:
  • anjo