We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Amendment to the Cultural Act: Defending our glorious flag from the spiral menace

Amendment to the Cultural Act, New Section 4 Wrote:
Cultural Act
An act outlining the customs of the South Pacific

4. Regional Symbols

(1) The official flag of the South Pacific shall be a white palm tree upon a black sail, with a white star in the lower left corner. The black sail shall surmount a white ring and fly upon a blue background.
a. An example of this flag is as follows;

[Image: kicTdS7.png]

(2) The official logo of the South Pacific shall be a white palm tree upon a black sail, with a white star in the lower left corner. The black sail shall surmount a blue circle, with a white ring surrounded by a thinner blue ring.
a. An example of this logo is as follows;

[Image: XbSZay5.png]
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]
[-] The following 4 users Like Belschaft's post:
  • Jebediah, Poppy, QuietDad, Rebeltopia

I, for one, welcome our spiral overlords.
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]
[-] The following 6 users Like Roavin's post:
  • Damination, North Prarie, Omega, Poppy, Seraph, Somyrion

I think it would be a shame to discard our symbols after more than 17 years of history. The palm tree on a black sail and the blue flag are staples of our regional history and should be preserved. While some might find the spirals aesthetically pleasing, they do not carry the weight of history and accomplishments that our current symbols do. To paraphrase Rex, in this particular case I think experience outranks aesthetics.
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System
[-] The following 8 users Like Kris Kringle's post:
  • Belschaft, Comfed, Illaois, Jebediah, Penguin, Poppy, QuietDad, Rebeltopia

I know how difficult change is for some people, but change is something that should be cherished. It is the natural evolution of the South Pacific where we can watch the regional symbology change over time. After all, the South Pacific was once an "Independent" region that has since become one of the preeminent defender regions of NationStates. I have no issue with retiring the current flag to the South Pacific Museum of Vexillology, that is, the official repository of the Ministry of Engagement.
4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History
[-] The following 5 users Like Jay Coop's post:
  • Damination, North Prarie, Poppy, Somyrion, Witchcraft and Sorcery

Comparing a flag that we’ve had for 17 years to a tag that we had for 2 years is completely out of place. This is our regional identity, not a policy that has fallen out of favour.
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System
[-] The following 7 users Like Kris Kringle's post:
  • Belschaft, Illaois, Jebediah, Poppy, QuietDad, Rebeltopia, The Maddest of Jacks

(01-22-2021, 11:23 PM)Jay Coop Wrote: I know how difficult change is for some people, but change is something that should be cherished. It is the natural evolution of the South Pacific where we can watch the regional symbology change over time. After all, the South Pacific was once an "Independent" region that has since become one of the preeminent defender regions of NationStates. I have no issue with retiring the current flag to the South Pacific Museum of Vexillology, that is, the official repository of the Ministry of Engagement.

And to think that people called me paranoid when I suggested that some people wanted to erase TSP's history as part of their grand defender project.....

[-] The following 2 users Like Belschaft's post:
  • Poppy, Rebeltopia

I've made some adjustments in regards to alternative symbols being used in events, activities, festivals and so on and for branches of government to use their own symbols.

Amendment to the Cultural Act, New Section 4 Wrote:
Cultural Act

An act outlining the customs of the South Pacific

4. Regional Symbols

(1) The official flag of the Coalition of the South Pacific consists of a white palm tree upon a black sail, with a white star in the lower left corner of the sail. The black sail surmounts a white ring and flies upon a South Pacific Blue background.
a. An example of this flag is as follows;

[Image: eepMkCk.png]

(2) The official logo of the Coalition of the South Pacific consists of a white palm tree upon a black sail, with a white star in the lower left corner of the sail. The black sail surmounts a a South Pacific Blue circle, with a white ring surrounded by a thinner South Pacific Blue ring.
a. An example of this logo is as follows;

[Image: ut1hIwd.png]

(3) Alternative symbols may be used on flags, logos and other graphics for events, festivals, activities and other purposes as deemed suitable by the relevant branches of government.

(4) Individual branches of government may adopt alternative symbols for their own use, such as a military Battle Flag or a Ministry logo.

So ... since I soapboxed a bit in Somy's thread about how culture works, I figured I'd post this over here.

Look — I get being defensive of the flag. It's been something that has been ingrained in the community for nearly two decades, which, in internet and NS terms might as well be forever.

I also get that this feels very much like a very personal rejection of the community and the region Bel, Kris and I (among many, many others) helped create. I mean, I still use the original forum style which uses Bel's "official logo," which I'm sure many others have never used.

That said, despite our feelings on the situation, we have to be willing to allow new people to make decisions and guide the region in their own right. It's always bittersweet, but allowing the region to change and grow with new people is what made TSP what is it today and really the only way to make sure it stays active into the future.
-tsunamy
[forum admin]
[-] The following 4 users Like Tsunamy's post:
  • Damination, Poppy, Seraph, Somyrion

I agree with you entirely Tsu. I think it would be a grave error to do away with seventeen years of history - especially for something as nebulous, generic and unrooted in TSP's culture as a spiral - but if that is what people want to do then so be it. I'll hate it but I'll live with it.

However, what is actually happening is that a small group of people are slowly trying to change our flag and symbols without the consent or agreement of TSP or the Assembly. I don't remember anyone coming to the Assembly and proposing that TSP was now going to be represented by a spiral, but for some reason people seem to think they have the right to unilaterally change what our flag and symbols are and replace them with something they prefer. 

That isn't something I'm willing to accept - if a majority of the Assembly wants to throw away our history, then that is that. Fine. But the undemocratic and unauthorised "creeping spiralisation" needs to end - and I believe a majority of TSP wants it to end as well.

[-] The following 2 users Like Belschaft's post:
  • Poppy, Rebeltopia

While I'm not too fussed about what flag we have, I think Belschaft's proposal is reasonable. All it seems to say is "this is the current flag, change requires permission" (i.e. an amendment). Contrary to Somy's claim on the other thread this proposal does not rush things unnaturally, but rather ensures the status quo won't be discarded without widespread support. The only issue I can see with this proposal is that it reserves a decision on the flag to the Assembly rather than the entire TSP community. As such, may I suggest:

Quote:(5) Once the official flag or offical logo changes, the Delegate must conduct a regional poll on this change and must communicate the results to the Assembly for its consideration.

The idea behind this is that if we vote to change the flag, then gameside will get an after-the-fact advisory vote. This is the best I think we can do without running into the Legislative Procedure Act (the Court found in 1918 Voting Thresholds made that it sets the passage requirements for general laws). Happy to hear other ideas though (especially ways to get a gameside vote in before the change is made). Also, while I would appreciate that gameside gets a vote, I understand if the Assembly does not agree with me.
Former Associate Justice of the High Court of the South Pacific (4 December 2019 to 5 February 2021)
[-] The following 2 users Like Nat's post:
  • Comfed, Poppy