We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[PASSED] OWL ministry alternative

The below Charter amendment and accompanying bill would create an executive-level Office of World Assembly Legislation.

THE CHARTER OF THE SOUTH PACIFIC

VI. THE EXECUTIVE

(4) The Office of World Assembly Legislation will be a permanent executive office, which will be led by a Director, responsible for coordinating the Coalition's activities in the World Assembly, providing assistance in drafting resolutions, and issuing voting recommendations on World Assembly proposals. At the start of each Cabinet term, the Director will be appointed by the Prime Minister for a term coinciding with the Cabinet's. In any vacancy, a new Director will be appointed by the Prime Minister to serve the remainder of the term.

(17) The Prime Minister, and, Cabinet ministers, and other executive offices may elect to appoint deputies and advisors, who will be considered junior members of the Cabinet their respective offices, but will not have voting rights in any executive decision.

World Assembly Act

An act to define the World Assembly procedures of the Coalition of the South Pacific

1. Powers

(1) The Delegate shall cast their vote on proposed World Assembly resolutions according to voting recommendations issued by the Office of World Assembly Legislation, except under circumstances in which the Office issued a recommendation for the Delegate to abstain from voting. If the Office's recommendation is contrary to the vote of all World Assembly nations in the South Pacific, the Delegate may choose to change their vote in collaboration with the Office.

(2) In the absence of a recommendation, the Delegate shall vote on proposed World Assembly resolutions according to the overall vote of all World Assembly nations in the South Pacific.

(3) The Cabinet may override a vote on a World Assembly resolution for security and diplomatic purposes.

2. Approval voting

(1) The Delegate may give an approval vote on proposed World Assembly resolutions freely or based on the instruction of the Office of World Assembly Legislation.

(2) The South Pacific Special Forces are prohibited from engaging in approval raiding, except as prescribed in the Charter.

3. Voting

(1) The Office of World Assembly Legislation shall determine the medium for voting on proposed World Assembly resolutions.

(2) Nations of the South Pacific that are World Assembly members or members of the South Pacific Special Forces may not be barred from eligibility in having their votes counted.

(3) If a nation resigns from the World Assembly or their membership in the South Pacific Special Forces before the voting period ends, their vote shall not count.

[-] The following 5 users Like sandaoguo's post:
  • Belschaft, Bleakfoot, Illaois, Moon, Poppy

This looks good to me.
[Image: AfI6yZX.png]
Aumeltopia ~

[Image: fKnK6O4.png]
Auphelia Wrote:Raccoons are bandits! First they steal your food . . .
and then your heart/identity!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Somyrion's post:
  • Poppy

I believe that last line should be Article VI, not Article IV? But otherwise, full support.
[-] The following 2 users Like Farengeto's post:
  • Poppy, sandaoguo

IMO, the Director should have to be confirmed by the Assembly. I don't want a PM appointing someone who shouldn't have Cabinet access.

Otherwise, full support.
Midwesterner. Political nerd. Chipotle enthusiast. 
Minister of Culture of the South Pacific // Former Prime Minister
[-] The following 1 user Likes North Prarie's post:
  • Poppy

What happens if a Director resigns before the end of the term?
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kris Kringle's post:
  • Poppy

I'm entirely in favour of this, as it formalises the excellent work that OWL has been doing whilst also not politicising what is essentially a bureaucratic and secretarial role.

Since the OWL Director would not be a permanent, life-time position I am also in agreement that it is appropriate for it to be an "at will" appointment.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Belschaft's post:
  • Poppy

(02-07-2021, 03:26 PM)Farengeto Wrote: I believe that last line should be Article VI, not Article IV? But otherwise, full support.

You're right.

(02-07-2021, 03:29 PM)North Prarie Wrote: IMO, the Director should have to be confirmed by the Assembly. I don't want a PM appointing someone who shouldn't have Cabinet access.

Otherwise, full support.

I'd like hear more about Assembly confirmation. But formalizing OWL like this wouldn't mean they have Cabinet access any more than they do now. They're an executive office, but not part of the Cabinet.

(02-07-2021, 03:34 PM)Kris Kringle Wrote: What happens if a Director resigns before the end of the term?

They're not allowed  Devil

Logically, the Prime Minister would just appoint a new one. I will add that in. The idea here is that new Cabinet = "new" Director, which I think keeps things very simple.
[-] The following 1 user Likes sandaoguo's post:
  • Poppy

Full support.
swifty
Nation: Imperial Dodo
Discord Tag: swiftygamer#1448

[Image: K732CSn.png][Image: IL1nUV5.png][Image: iEwICrf.png][Image: 5bDBXB8.png]
[Image: q6bfWoR.png] [Image: vJjA98X.png]
Other Achievements/Roles:
- Minister of Culture (October 2020 - February 2021)
- SPSF Tidal Force Coordinator (April 2021 - Present)
- Deputy Chair of the Assembly (September 2020 - October 2020)
- MoM Member (October 2020 - Present)
- MoE Member (October 2020 - Present)
- Cabinet Advisor (August 2020 - October 2020)
- A TSP Legislator (July 2020 - Present)
- SPSF Soldier (June 2020 - Present)
- Ambassador to South Pacific (August 2020 - October 2020)
- Ambassador to The League (April 2021 - Present)
- Local Council Candidate (July/August 2020)
- Chair of the Assembly Candidate (September 2020)
- The MasterMind behind SPSFphoenixcoup2020
- The Loyal Servant of Goddess Phoenix
- The Most Active Member of OWL
- A very cute bear on the outside but on the inside, well, no one knows...
[-] The following 1 user Likes Swifty's post:
  • Poppy

(02-07-2021, 03:18 PM)sandaoguo Wrote: Allow the Cabinet to override any World Assembly resolution for security or diplomatic reasons. The Cabinet shouldn't be handicapped in using TSP's World Assembly vote as part of a diplomatic strategy.

Could you give an example of a situation in which our vote in the GA would absolutely need to be overridden by the Cabinet on grounds of security or diplomacy? I was always under the impression that the GA only is a roleplay-ish institution without all the interregional political implications of the SC.
[Image: koC8Gf6.png]
[Image: Sl6mZCD.png] [Image: iEwICrf.png] [Image: IL1nUV5.png] [Image: RLU6NBO.png] [Image: MbXQuqv.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes anjo's post:
  • Poppy

(02-07-2021, 03:46 PM)sandaoguo Wrote: But formalizing OWL like this wouldn't mean they have Cabinet access any more than they do now. They're an executive office, but not part of the Cabinet.

The Secretary of OWL has always had access to #cabinet-office and most Cabinet forums, though of course not the Situation Room.
[Image: AfI6yZX.png]
Aumeltopia ~

[Image: fKnK6O4.png]
Auphelia Wrote:Raccoons are bandits! First they steal your food . . .
and then your heart/identity!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Somyrion's post:
  • Poppy