We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Feb. 2021 Cabinet Inaugural Address
Rainbow 
CABINET INAUGURAL ADDRESS

Hello, South Pacificans! The February 2021 term for the Cabinet has officially started, and it's tradition that the Prime Minister gives an inaugural address to the Assembly at the start of the term. The spirit of this tradition is that the Cabinet sets expectations for the next four months at the helm of our regional government. And in four months, when the Assembly convenes to elect a Cabinet for a new term, we hopefully can look back at the inaugural address and see if the incumbents lived up to their promises.

This past week, my Cabinet colleagues and I have been working with the outgoing Ministers on the government transition plan. That has gone very well, with Ministers Omega, Swifty, and Phoenix coordinating ministry hand-offs with our new Ministers Roavin, North Prarie, and Witchcraft and Sorcery. The previous Cabinet left the offices nice and clean, so we could get to work right away. I want to take a moment to thank them for their work and service this last term. We're on a good footing thanks to them!

In addition to the transition planning, the Cabinet met and discussed our goals for the immediate future. I want to share some of these goals with you all:
  • In the Ministry of Defense, Minister Witchcraft and Sorcery has been focusing on inter-regional military operations, like those regarding the liberation of The Embassy region. The ministry will also be working on updating SPSF mission reports into something more digestible, and rebooting the Tidal Force.
  • The Ministry of Culture will be working on a Culture Calendar of events and activities. Minister North Prarie is looking into inter-regional connections with his counterparts in our Partnership for Sovereignty allies.
  • Minister USoVietnam, continuing to helm the Ministry of Engagement, is steadfastly finalizing the ministry's Dispatch Project and Cards Project. Additionally, coordinators within the ministry will be working on updated graphics for the region and on the wiki, TSP Encylcopedia.
  • The Ministry of Foreign Affairs will be focusing on the Partnership for Sovereignty. Minister Roavin will oversee our delegation to the alliance's governing body. In addition to that, he is working on revamping our ambassador programs and writing informational pages for TSP Encyclopedia.
  • Minister Islas, heading the Ministry of Media, is hard at work as the managing editor of its various publications. The ministry already put out a piece on the election results. They will be focusing on more journalism this term.
  • Lastly, the Prime Minister's Office will be working on revamping the Cabinet's internal organization and public accessibility. Of course, as Prime Minister I will also be keeping myself abreast of important security and foreign affairs issues, as well as working with the rest of the Cabinet to keep this term on track.
This isn't an exhaustive agenda, but rather a preview of what each ministry will be focusing on for this first month. We will be keeping the Assembly updated on the progress of all the various projects, as well as new ones down the pipeline. Please hold our ministers accountable by asking questions and requesting these updates, as well!

Internally, I would like to announce to the Assembly a major organizational change to how the Cabinet will function this term and possibly in the future if it works well. As Prime Minister, I've established two "councils" within the Cabinet.
  • The Domestic Affairs Council will be composed of the Prime Minister and the Ministers of Culture, Media, and Engagement, as well officially appointed deputies and top-level advisors. This team will be responsible for cross-ministry projects and overall domestic regional strategy, like recruitment and player engagement.
  • The Foreign Affairs Council will be composed of the Prime Minister and the Ministers of Foreign Affairs and Defense, along with their officially appointed deputies and top-level advisors as well. This team will be responsible for foreign policy strategy and implementation. Foreign affairs discussions and decision-making will take place primarily within this group.
These councils are basically demarcating the different policy-area responsibilities of the ministers, when it comes to executive policies and internal debates. Instead of everything be done on a whole-Cabinet basis, which is very inefficient and also doesn't respect the portfolios established in the Charter for each ministry, decisions and debates will happen within these councils. Anything of supreme importance or that legally requires a full Cabinet vote will, of course, still have one.

Additionally, with the passage of the Charter amendment creating the Office of World Assembly Legislation as an executive office of the region, it's my great pleasure to announce the appointment of Anjo as the first Director of O.W.L. Anjo has done an amazing job as Secretary of O.W.L. and I think we can expect that same level of dedication as Director. Congratulations, Anjo!

In the coming days and weeks, the Assembly should be hearing from the ministries on team openings, projects, and everything else going on in their offices. Ministers will be using the Cabinet Twitter page to post these announcements, so pay special attention there. The Prime Minister's Office will be finalizing transparency and public accessible measures this week, as well. Keep an eye out for that announcement, as I think the Assembly will greatly appreciate those endeavors.

With all that said, I want to thank the Assembly on behalf of the whole Cabinet for giving us this opportunity to lead the region. This is an amazingly strong and experienced Cabinet, and as Prime Minister I'll be working hard to make sure the results of this term as just as great. All that being said, let's end on this graceful note. As always, the Cabinet is just one Discord ping away!

Sandaoguo
Prime Minister

[Image: tsp-logo-color-3%404x.png]

I liking what I'm seeing here, especially when it comes to the formation of these councils. I'm sure this will allow for continuous and uninterrupted Cabinet discussion on these policy areas without them being drowned out or forgotten by one or the other, allowing for a more complete and wholesome discourse.
4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History
[-] The following 2 users Like Jay Coop's post:
  • Seraph, Witchcraft and Sorcery

I assume that, along with all that you've stated here for your first month, you'll be parsing through all the existing threads and releasing anything that can be as required by the Sunshine Act?
"...if you're normal, the crowd will accept you. But if you're deranged, the crowd will make you their leader." - Christopher Titus
Deranged in NS since 2011

One and ONLY minion of LadyRebels 
The OUTRAGEOUS CRAZY other half of LadyElysium
[-] The following 3 users Like Rebeltopia's post:
  • Griffindor, Langburn, Volaworand