We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Jay for Foreign Affairs – Stronger than ever

[Image: mLg1Ksml.png]
Your favorite Captain America impersonator with his campaign staff

The world of NationStates has become a turbulent place as of late. We've seen the rise of blocs, and tensions seem to be rising between regions. However, the one constant has been our region's ascent. We led the charge to form the Partnership for Sovereignty, brought together some of the world's preeminent defenders, and solidified our status in the World Assembly. We are in Pax Australis, an era marked by peace in the South Pacific, and we are stronger than we have ever been before.

Let's keep it that way.

*Sticking to our principles*
Lemme lead by saying this: our principles are defender principles. It has been nearly two years since the Assembly passed the defender resolution, defining our principles as a region. We will never turn back the clock on that. We are the largest region in NationStates and the only feeder committed to this cause, leaving us with great responsibility. We have defined who we are as a region, and we have been able to define who our friends are as a consequence of that decision.

We have also been able to define ourselves in other ways, and that is the fact that we have been a democratic region since the earliest days of our history. We are not a region that undemocratically names a delegate or limits the social mobility of its members. We have consistently elected our regional leaders, a tradition that has outlived yesteryear's leaders and those we elect today, and we will promote these principles abroad.

*An informed ministry and region*
Within the ministry and our region, I hope to improve our awareness of events occurring abroad, and there are several ways I believe we can achieve this goal. First, I will encourage our ambassador corps to periodically check out ongoing discussions in the NSGP subforum and discuss whatever issues or controversies arise freely in #legislators-lounge to stimulate further regional discourse.

As part of this effort, I will put together monthly reports on the goings-on of other regions to help provide a summary of the current global landscape. These reports will highlight key events in regions with whom we maintain relationships or those that carry great significance, such as the recent controversy surrounding Force.

*Shoring up the PfS*
It was this time last year when I campaigned to become the Minister of Foreign Affairs, supporting the creation of a defender bloc, and we have come a long way since then. The Partnership for Sovereignty represents our most significant foreign policy achievement since passing the defender resolution in 2019, and I hope to continue working with our partners in the bloc to promote regional sovereignty through the World Assembly Security Council.

If elected, I hope to propose an amendment to the bloc's charter that introduces interregional security provisions protecting its members. The document should be explicit in not allowing its members to attack each other and provide for the defense of its members. These are issues I hope to discuss with my counterparts in the PfS if given a chance. Some would argue that this would be a duplicative effort because of existing bilateral treaties, but I do not believe that is a sufficient reason not to do it.

Besides the reforms I hope to propose, I believe that the PfS is an institution worth fighting for and maintaining. We have seen other blocs fall into stagnation, and it serves as a lesson for all those who desire a bloc. We cannot allow the PfS to endure the same fate, so I will work with the Cabinet and my counterparts in the PfS to discuss and form strategies to keep it active and not allow it to fall into disrepair. That is the challenge ahead of us with the PfS.

*Stronger than ever*
Five years ago, we survived a coup. Two years ago, we solidified our position as a defender region. Last year, we decided that a defender bloc was in our best interests. Today, the South Pacific is the strongest it has ever been in the past, and that is thanks to a consistent foreign policy committed and invested in defender and democratic principles. With this policy and continued cooperation with our friends and allies, especially in the defendersphere, our path is towards greater success.

Vote Jay to continue walking this path.

*My credentials*
Here, you will find a list of my credentials. If you wish to view a more comprehensive declaration, please press here.
  • Citizen of the South Pacific (2014–present)
  • Member of the South Pacific's Council on Regional Security (2020–present)
  • Former Minister of Regional Affairs of the South Pacific (2020)
  • Former Minister of Foreign Affairs of the South Pacific (2020)
  • Former citizen of The North Pacific (2020–2021, with Winston Island)
  • Former citizen of The Rejected Realms (2021, with Karasonia)
  • Former writer and editor at NationStates Today (2020)

*Frequently asked questions*

*Shameless plug*
4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History
[-] The following 7 users Like Jay Coop's post:
  • anjo, Free Las Pinas, moe, Qaweritoyu, Seraph, Stan Melix, Witchcraft and Sorcery

Who are our closest allies and why?

What does it mean to be a "good ally"? How will TSP be a good ally in your tenure so others return the favor?

Which alliances will you prioritize strengthening? Why? How?

What is your philosophy for working with Independent/unaligned regions?

Any new regions to consider alliances or embassies/consulates with?

As someone who is WA locked but prioritizes defending as the goal of foreign affairs, how will you ensure you have actionable information about what regions it would be best to work with to improve our battlefield defender successes?
Minister of Foreign Affairs
General of the South Pacific Special Forces
Ambassador to Balder
Former Prime Minister and Minister of Defense

[Image: rank_general.min.svg] [Image: updates_lifetime_3.min.svg] [Image: detags_lifetime_4.min.svg] [Image: defenses_lifetime_4.min.svg]

[Image: ykXEqbU.png]
[-] The following 4 users Like HumanSanity's post:
  • Jay Coop, Quebecshire, Stan Melix, Witchcraft and Sorcery

(06-05-2021, 12:49 AM)HumanSanity Wrote: Who are our closest allies and why?
Our friends in the defendersphere, especially TRR and XKI, represent our closest allies. TSP has worked extensively with these regions on various endeavors, particularly in R/D. This amicable relationship we have with TRR and XKI is why the three regions were the founding members of the PfS.

(06-05-2021, 12:49 AM)HumanSanity Wrote: What does it mean to be a "good ally"? How will TSP be a good ally in your tenure so others return the favor?
To me, a good ally keeps their promises and works with their neighbors truthfully and respectably. When I speak of promises, I refer to the treaties that we have ratified with other regions. For example, our agreement with the Pacific obligated us to either vote for or abstain from repealing the condemnation resolution against them. To that end, we fulfilled our obligation to that provision of the treaty, thereby keeping our promise to them.

As for the second part of being a good ally, we cannot lie or bite our lips when being accosted by people who are supposed to be our allies. We have seen a case of that in the past six months, and we must speak our truth to them, even if it leads to hostility and challenges the historical friendship between regions. Sometimes, allies have to confront these uncomfortable truths because that is the only way our relationship can improve. I cannot say that we will bear fruit the labors of being a good ally in my term, but it may reward us down the road if we follow these principles.

(06-05-2021, 12:49 AM)HumanSanity Wrote: Which alliances will you prioritize strengthening? Why? How?
I will look at furthering our connections in the defendersphere and strengthening the PfS. The PfS is a new institution, and we should work on maintaining and improving it wherever possible. We've built something great, and it is incumbent upon us to preserve it. We and our friends in the PfS should search for prospective members who could augment our position in the World Assembly and add another layer of richness to discourse within the bloc.

(06-05-2021, 12:49 AM)HumanSanity Wrote: What is your philosophy for working with Independent/unaligned regions?
I have a few friends in such regions, so I can say that there are opportunities for cooperation with Independent or unaligned regions. In the past, we have been able to work with TEP, for example, in liberations and other operations, and we should look for additional opportunities to do so again. However, there are a few so-called Independent regions that we have had a tenuous relationship with, especially this year with one of those regions, and we must stand our ground with these regions and stick to our principles. The point is: there isn't a one-size-fits-all approach with these regions because each of them has a unique relationship with us. We will work with them where we can and hold them to account whenever necessary.

(06-05-2021, 12:49 AM)HumanSanity Wrote: Any new regions to consider alliances or embassies/consulates with?
There are two areas where I would like to explore additional connections, one within the PfS and another elsewhere. As it currently stands, TSP has a treaty with all members of the PfS save for one: the Philippines. If elected, I would like to work with the Philippines on developing a closer relationship. I believe it is imperative to maintain relationships with all members of the PfS. If we are going to work together in this bloc, we should do so with mutual understanding and having bilateral relationships.

As for relationships beyond the PfS, I believe we should look into fostering relationships in NSLeft. Judging from previous conversations we've had in #legislators-lounge and one I recently had with another legislator, there is an appetite in our region for cooperation with some regions within NSLeft, and it's undeniable that there is potential for growth because of common democratic principles and our shared disdain for fascist regions. I believe it's a worthwhile effort to explore whatever connections we can develop in NSLeft.

(06-05-2021, 12:49 AM)HumanSanity Wrote: As someone who is WA locked but prioritizes defending as the goal of foreign affairs, how will you ensure you have actionable information about what regions it would be best to work with to improve our battlefield defender successes?
Before I answer your question, I would like to preface my response by saying that there are various ways one can contribute to the ultimate goals of defenderism. The most notable route is joining a defender military like the SPSF or TGW, for example, but there are other ways to contribute to the cause, like bringing the votes in the Security Council. Today, we now have the PfS to express ourselves formally and deliver the votes to liberate regions so our WA mobile defenders can go out and do what they do best.

As for the actual question, I look forward to working with the Prime Minister and Minister of Defense on these matters because they are more knowledgeable on these issues than I am. I firmly believe that there is no such thing as a dumb question, so if I ever find myself not knowing something that should factor into my decision-making, I will fall back on the Cabinet and the ambassadors to find the answers I need.

My History
[-] The following 2 users Like Jay Coop's post:
  • Luca, Stan Melix

Will voters receive a Disney+ subscription if they vote for you?

Funded by a Super PAC, of course Wink
[-] The following 3 users Like Amerion's post:
  • Jay Coop, Penguin, Stan Melix

(06-05-2021, 02:32 AM)Amerion Wrote: Will voters receive a Disney+ subscription if they vote for you?

Funded by a Super PAC, of course Wink

Erm, I'm gonna need to have a word with my donors. I'll make sure to get back to you on that.

My History
[-] The following 4 users Like Jay Coop's post:
  • Amerion, Moon, Stan Melix, Witchcraft and Sorcery

As someone who is very interested in learning more about foreign affairs but realizes the obstacles in getting newcomers involved, I'm curious to see whether you had any plans regarding integration of staff within this department. I'm very excited to see the proposed ideas of monthly reports and encouraging discussions. 

For perspective, I joined the foreign affairs department a couple of weeks ago, and while I've enjoyed participating in discussions and 'speculation', it could be hard for someone who is new to NSGP to jump in immediately. I also have not yet been assigned as an ambassador, although I believe that's just due to some unfortunate RL conflicts/timing issues. 

Essentially, I think my question here boils down to wondering how you see yourself managing the current staff, as well as what opportunities are available for them getting involved in/learning about foreign affairs, especially if there are any plans beyond typical ambassador assignments. 

I also think that the PfS has grown to be a very formidable voting bloc over time, and I'm glad to see a big emphasis on it within your platform. What do you think are some of the strengths (and weaknesses, if any) of the PfS bloc compared to other WA blocs, and do you feel that there are any improvements you'd like to work on during your term?

Edit: One last question, sorry!

You might've briefly alluded to this, but what do you see as the biggest "fa issue" confronting TSP currently, and how would you strive to address it as MoFA?
[-] The following 3 users Like moe's post:
  • Jay Coop, Moon, Stan Melix

(06-05-2021, 04:21 AM)moe Wrote: As someone who is very interested in learning more about foreign affairs but realizes the obstacles in getting newcomers involved, I'm curious to see whether you had any plans regarding integration of staff within this department. I'm very excited to see the proposed ideas of monthly reports and encouraging discussions. 

For perspective, I joined the foreign affairs department a couple of weeks ago, and while I've enjoyed participating in discussions and 'speculation', it could be hard for someone who is new to NSGP to jump in immediately. I also have not yet been assigned as an ambassador, although I believe that's just due to some unfortunate RL conflicts/timing issues. 

Essentially, I think my question here boils down to wondering how you see yourself managing the current staff, as well as what opportunities are available for them getting involved in/learning about foreign affairs, especially if there are any plans beyond typical ambassador assignments. 
I'll start by saying welcome to NationStates. It's safe to say that getting into NSGP and the nuances of it has a learning curve. There are times when people bring up historical events, and I fully understand what it's like to be completely confused and in the dark about these things. You just joined this wonderful game, and then someone brings up something that happened years before you even joined. All I can say is that if you ever find yourself not understanding what people are talking about, feel free to jump in and ask for clarification and explanation. There's no shame in asking those questions. Over time, you will learn and handle these issues, and someday a newcomer will be asking you these same questions.

As for your question on my agenda, I will have a "term reset" of sorts in which I ask all of the current ambassadors if they wish to maintain their assignments or become reassigned to another region or more. As ambassadors, you may find yourself on your assigned region's Discord server, forum, and RMB, and there are opportunities to get involved in interregional events. Furthermore, there is the NSGP Discord and subforum where you can interact with people around the world. Over time, you may also make acquaintances with prominent FA figures across NationStates or learn them through reputation. The options are limitless when it comes to getting involved in the game.

(06-05-2021, 04:21 AM)moe Wrote: I also think that the PfS has grown to be a very formidable voting bloc over time, and I'm glad to see a big emphasis on it within your platform. What do you think are some of the strengths (and weaknesses, if any) of the PfS bloc compared to other WA blocs, and do you feel that there are any improvements you'd like to work on during your term?
The greatest strength that the PfS has compared to the WALL and the Consortium is that its members have more potential for cohesion. We have far more in common with each other than what divides us. For most of us, we have a shared defender creed and democratic traditions that set us apart from the ideological divisions within other blocs. Granted, we may not agree on every issue that comes our way, but there is plenty of ground for us to come together. Outside of the PfS, some of us cooperate militarily and do so often. These are strengths where we are either comparable or exceed that of other blocs.

Today, the WALL suffers from stagnation, and several times, leadership candidates in those member regions have often lamented that fact. Furthermore, several leading candidates in TEP's delegate election, which is occurring concurrently with our Cabinet elections, have indicated their intent to scrap TEP's continuing participation in the Consortium, a decision that will likely mean the end of the bloc. At no point did I have any inside information on the goings-on of the Consortium, but the bloc had an unusual mix of regions. I believe we can draw lessons by analyzing the failures of the WALL and the Consortium to find and address potential weaknesses in the PfS.

As for improving the PfS, I mentioned in my OP that I hope to propose a few security provisions in the Charter to protect its members. Such provisions providing protection will enhance the PfS experience and give its members a greater sense of security, knowing that the other members will back them up if anyone attacks them.

(06-05-2021, 04:21 AM)moe Wrote: Edit: One last question, sorry!

You might've briefly alluded to this, but what do you see as the biggest "fa issue" confronting TSP currently, and how would you strive to address it as MoFA?
I believe that we should concentrate our efforts on the PfS and its development, but I would be remiss if I failed to mention The North Pacific. Since their incendiary statement in January, equating our defending operations as "sanctioned activities that...[aid] the causes of fascism", we have been in a diplomatic row with TNP. It's unfortunate that the relationship between two of the biggest regions in NS has taken this turn, but I am hopeful that we can turn things around for two reasons: they just elected a new delegate, and we worked together on the Genua raid. The Aurora Alliance is one of our oldest surviving treaties, and it would be a shame to see it burn to ashes.

I am proud that Roavin and Omega stood their ground and defended our region's principles, holding TNP to account for their January statement, and I hope to do the same if elected. We cannot and will not allow any region, even if it comes from an ally, to disrespect us and our principles and accuse us of enabling fascists. We are just as committed to the antifascist cause as them, and for a region to call our defending operations against their quorum raids, especially when done against regions that are not even fascist, an act that aids fascism is simply outrageous.

My History
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jay Coop's post:
  • Witchcraft and Sorcery

You and I agree on a lot when it comes to FA things. I appreciate your resoluteness in maintaining our commitment to defending first and foremost and your strong stance on practices like quorum raiding.

You mention wanting to create reports on activity in other regions. A couple questions that might be related to this:

- First, what is the target audience of these reports? Are these public Assembly-level reports, for the Cabinet, and/or for MoFA internally? I feel this is something that could have a dramatic effect on how the reports are used.

- What do you see as the role of ambassadors? Both in this process and when it comes to FA as a whole.

Witchcraft and Sorcery

Former Prime Minister and Minister of Defense. Formerly many things in other regions. Defender. Ideologue. he/they.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Witchcraft and Sorcery's post:
  • Jay Coop

(06-05-2021, 06:47 AM)Witchcraft and Sorcery Wrote: You and I agree on a lot when it comes to FA things. I appreciate your resoluteness in maintaining our commitment to defending first and foremost and your strong stance on practices like quorum raiding.

You mention wanting to create reports on activity in other regions. A couple questions that might be related to this:

- First, what is the target audience of these reports? Are these public Assembly-level reports, for the Cabinet, and/or for MoFA internally? I feel this is something that could have a dramatic effect on how the reports are used.

- What do you see as the role of ambassadors? Both in this process and when it comes to FA as a whole.
I intend to publish these reports in the Ministry's subforum, similar to the SPSF reports that the MoD puts together, available for public consumption. Our ambassadors will continue the same work that they have been doing with Roavin as MoFA, and I will make use of their reports to compile a region-by-region summary. If there are no ambassadors assigned to particular regions, I will research myself for those regions. The primary purpose of these reports is to increase awareness in the Assembly of events occurring outside the region and allow us to make informed decisions or intervene wherever and whenever necessary.

However, your question alluded to the type of content we may find in these reports depending on the intended audience. I want to assure you that I will provide specialized reports on sensitive situations in the appropriately-named Situation Room. I wouldn't want to make any untoward statements in the public reports without putting it through the Cabinet first. If it concerns both the Cabinet and the CRS, it will go to the Joint Security Room instead.

Altogether, I hope to continue the practice of bringing ambassadors to meetings with counterparts, which I believe is a welcome change made by Roavin. Becoming an ambassador is step one to becoming MoFA, so it should be natural to have ambassadors present and learn a few things about negotiations and other diplomacy-related matters. By the time they are elected MoFA, they will already know a few things that will allow them to get a head start on leading the region's foreign policy agenda.

My History
[-] The following 2 users Like Jay Coop's post:
  • Stan Melix, Witchcraft and Sorcery

I certainly agree with you about preserving our obligations under our treaties and with the fact that sometimes issues in a relationship must be addressed. You then bring up The North Pacific in a later response. We're at a stalemate there: they're one of our oldest allies, but there's been a pattern of unreliable, unhelpful, and disrespectful behavior from TNP towards TSP (and our defender allies) for quite some time. This is compounded by the increasingly less recent "quorum raiding / aiding the causes of fascism" issue which neither of us seem willing to compromise on. How would you seek to resolve this issue? This alliance seems to exist in name only at this point, so how would you reach an agreement/understanding on our significant issues with TNP or would you pursue other courses of action?

I am glad to see you isolate Philippines as an example of a region we should cooperate with. I am more of an NSLeft skeptic in terms of what those relations could potentially help us with, but I see merit in making an honest effort at it. 

What prospective members would you attempt to include in PfS? You talk a lot about fortifying the bloc, and you published an opinion piece about it recently, although you're not actively forwarding those ideas anymore (which is fine, sometimes we all have ideas we change our mind about it). What ideas do you still believe in for fortifying PfS?
Minister of Foreign Affairs
General of the South Pacific Special Forces
Ambassador to Balder
Former Prime Minister and Minister of Defense

[Image: rank_general.min.svg] [Image: updates_lifetime_3.min.svg] [Image: detags_lifetime_4.min.svg] [Image: defenses_lifetime_4.min.svg]

[Image: ykXEqbU.png]
[-] The following 4 users Like HumanSanity's post:
  • Free Las Pinas, Jay Coop, Moon, Quebecshire