We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

HumanSanity for MoD: The Art of the Dress

Thread by thread, stitching it together
Twilight's dress, cutting out the pattern snip by snip
Making sure the fabric folds nicely
It's the perfect color and so hip

Fellow South Pacificans,

I'm HumanSanity and I'm running for Minister of Defense. I'm running because I am strongly invested in the cause of defending and building regional communities around defending. I also believe I have the right experience and skills to lead the SPSF at this juncture and am genuinely excited for the opportunities and challenges the position will bring.

For those of you who don't know me, I am relatively new to the South Pacific but have been playing NationStates for a little over 11 years. I joined TSP in mid-March after a term as Delegate of 10000 Islands, a region which remains special to me but which I left due to issues with its authoritarian governance. This led me to seek out a more democratic government which still reflected my defender ideals, making the South Pacific a natural choice. Prior to my time as Delegate, I served in various executive positions in XKI and as Delegate and Chief Executive of the Renegade Islands Alliance. Since joining TSP, I have been an active updater in the South Pacific Special Forces, where I am currently an Officer-in-Training, and have been working as an Ambassador, OWL Staffer, and part of the MoE Cards Team.

Recently, General Nakari made a comment on Discord that the SPSF's past Ministers have largely been Officer-types, highly versed in the intricacies of update mechanics and operational leadership, but that far fewer Ministers have been organization-builders who create infrastructure, energy, and activity. I'm an organization-builder. Most of my NS experience is in recruiting, integration, and culture, and I want to bring those fundamental building-blocks of any successful NS endeavor to the SPSF.

When assessing what the Ministry of Defense requires right now, I think it's important to take stock of the Ministry's strengths and weaknesses. The Ministry of Defense currently has a core group of consistent, well trained, capable, active updaters. W&S’ term also saw a huge step forward with the finalization of the Tidal Force for piling and detags. However, we are lacking a deeper bench of SPSF members who are ready to serve in major liberations or defenses. This deeper bench of Soldiers, as well as the community and resources to support them as well as day-to-day updaters, is what I will seek to cultivate during my term.

My approach to the Ministry of Defense will be The Art of the Dress. The Art of the Dress, a song sung by the Pony who most represents me (queue all pony related jokes), is about vision, working on the basics before working your way to grand schemes, compromising and working with others, but most importantly about taking joy in the process of building something great. Going back to basics and focusing on building each component of the SPSF for the long term, especially in the areas of recruiting, retention, and community-building is both my platform and The Art of the Dress.

The remainder of this campaign will outline my agenda for how to achieve these goals. I have spoilered a TLDR at the top here to summarize:
With that...

Yard by yard, fussing on the details
Jewel neckline, don't you know a stitch in time saves nine?
Make her something perfect to inspire

1. Recruiting: Let's Try It All

The SPSF needs to be making greater efforts to recruit new members. Sticking to a WFE mention and a forum thread will only get us so far and largely restricts our recruiting to members who are already highly active. It also makes us dependent on people who are already "in" the gameplay bubble to drive our military instead of bringing in new members. We go to extensive efforts to get every new nation in the WA and endorsing the Delegate but make SPSF recruiting something for new nations to seek out. We're a feeder, which gives us access to tremendous resources, which we are currently doing very little to utilize.

I have a lot of ideas here. I'll be the first to admit that half may not work, but my philosophy is to try it all and see what works, because you don't know if it'll work or not until you've tried it.

Upkeep Work and Prominence

A lot of our SPSF promotional materials are out of date or are not publicized highly enough. As Minister of Defense, I would seek to rectify that by:

• Working with the Delegate to get a link to SPSF Dispatches included in the Welcome TG.
  • Working with the CRS and Ministry of Engagement to have a reference to the SPSF included in SWAN Dispatches. While SWAN's primary purpose is promoting Delegate endorsements, each member may have only one WA nation, and in the Dispatch where we aggressively ping all our new WA nations we should promote other options for how to use a WA nation to serve the South Pacific.
  • Working with the Ministry of Engagement to get SPSF information integrated into existing welcome guides.
  • Updating and simplifying the SPSF Informational Dispatches. The current Dispatches contain links to severely outdated information which does not reflect current SPSF structure or missions and are spread across multiple nations, making management more difficult. During my term, I will work with the Minister of Engagement to patch up these Dispatches and consolidate them to one easily transferred and managed nation, possibly run through the MoE's Dispatch Project.
  • Updating the on-forum SPSF application thread to reflect the SPSF as a defender military.

Promotion and Public Relations

The SPSF needs to work more on messaging. As defenders, we have a diverse toolkit to use for promotion (moralist and competitivist lenses, word of mouth, social and cultural engagement, multiple platforms, etc.) and we need to be using it more. My goal is to make SPSF membership more attractive and engaging for those who are currently on the fence about if they want to get involved. Strategies for this would include:

• Working with the Ministry of Media to get SPSF promotional materials out regularly. Currently, we only report on major engagements and in geopolitical terms. We need to be supplementing this with information about more regular updates (e.g. detagging/chasing runs) and articles that use a diversity of promotional tactics. On occasion updates can also be posted to the Gameplay forum to provide international promotion. The ability to produce these reports could be expanded beyond just the Minister of Defense to serve as a creative outlet for Soldiers and Officers and to represent diverse perspectives. SPSF promotional materials should forward a uniquely SPSF approach to defending, free from the extreme competitivism and putdowns rampant in some other organizations' propaganda but also distanced from the "silent knights in shining armor" who say nothing.
  • Giving SPSF Members a platform to talk about their work in the SPSF through interviews and Q&As. I'd work with the Local Council to host SPSF question and answer sessions on the RMB, with Discord administration and the Cabinet about holding them in #lampshade-bar, and posting Q&As on the forum for slower-paced interactions. I'd also work with the Ministry of Media to post interviews from active members of the SPSF.
  • Word of mouth is already a part of the PR strategy of the SPSF, but I would actively encourage SPSF members to do positive promotion of the SPSF and our activities in casual conversations on the RMB and Discord server. Where convenient, the SPSF should be promoted as an option to new players on the RMB/Discord.
  • The SPSF should run public events to promote its activities. In collaboration with the Ministry of Culture, I'd like to work towards open houses for the general public that don't require a WA to participate but focus on defending skills and give people more of a feel for why being part of the SPSF is a fun and engaging experience. In a feeder like TSP, it's sometimes hard to convince people to leave their endorsements in the main region to participate in defending, but events to give them a taste of the action without moving their WA can serve as a "hook" to get people involved.

Dressmaking's easy, for Pinkie Pie something pink
Fluttershy something breezy
Blend color and form,
Do you think it looks cheesy?

2. Retention & Community-building

After getting recruits, it is important for the SPSF to train and retain new members, which is traditionally an area of weakness for the SPSF when members do not originate from other organizations. We must address this because without bringing new nations into the cause of defending, it is hard for the SPSF to contribute or build up autonomous influence. This section of my campaign will articulate strategies and goals for how to train and retain members and continue building community in the SPSF.

Ranks & Training

The SPSF is a military with a simple set of ranks with promotions based on a set of objective and subjective criteria as required in the Military Code. As a result of the integration of interregional defending efforts through Libcord, the SPSF's ranks begin to lose their salience as a Command structure, since in most situations they are subordinated to the hierarchy within Libcord. On its own, this is not necessarily a matter of concern as that system enables more efficient interregional cooperation and avoids excessively rigid hierarchy. At the same time, we must remember the ranks we have and the way that the objective requirements can be used as a scaffolding for training new members.

At best, ranks can provide a set of objective goals for new recruits to strive for and be trained up to meet. At worst, ranks create arbitrary and useless social hierarchy which is distorted based on distorted social promotion systems. As Minister of Defense, I would work to ensure they are the former rather than the latter by conducting weekly checks of the progress of new Trainees to see if they've met sufficient requirements to become a Soldier and if Soldiers should move into Officer training, while making final decisions in consultation with the General Corps. Where Trainees are failing to understand requirements or need additional instruction, I would work to provide on or off-update instruction. By maintaining regular check-ins and guiding Trainees in tasks to complete their training, we can ensure our existing ranks perform a meaningful function.

Developing Culture

A central goal for my term will be the cultivation of a positive and autonomous SPSF culture which is oriented around its members, their interests and successes, and the goals and ideals of the SPSF. Developing this culture is not a simple to do list, rather it is an act of deliberate leadership I will prioritize and approach with balance and care. In some areas, guiding this culture will involve deliberately planning activities for the SPSF but overall, it involves actively attempting to be the spirit I wish to see in the SPSF. I believe this culture must be inviting to new members, adaptable to change, sustainable through operational headwinds, and primarily focused on its own members. Any strong internet community must be open to new members because real life obligations inevitably create a revolving door of membership and leadership, so the inclusion of new players early on and the way new players are given their own opportunity to shape the culture as well as be shaped by the culture, are particularly important. Shared community requires fine balances between different personalities and it's important that no one perspective or attitude becomes too dominant. A strong military community must be adaptable to change and sustainable through operational headwinds because external conditions will inevitably change outside of the community's control. And, perhaps most importantly, a strong internet community must be primarily focused on its own members. This does not mean it should be isolated from others but rather that it should look to itself to fulfill its core cultural needs and it should be a goal to be culturally autonomous and self-reliant. Finally, to develop an autonomous culture which is less reliant on other militaries, the SPSF needs to take limited opportunities to operate autonomously from other defenders so it can develop a unique cultural identity within defending writ large. While this should not be standard practice, as an occasional practice it will help with integrating new members into a smaller and more localized social group before the broader defender community, as well as continuing to develop a distinctive identity for the SPSF.

Involving Members in Off-Update Efforts

We often think of the function of military members as being solely the act of defending. This ignores the wealth of off-update work that is important for the functioning of a regional military. This work ranges from military community-building (events, social conversations, etc.), recruiting (efforts mentioned above), training new members, discussing possible targets to fortify, placing sleepers, doing outreach to natives, planning detags, developing or testing new technology, maintaining records, and more. Such efforts can be collaborative and on a volunteer basis among SPSF members which is the kind of attitude I will attempt to cultivate in the SPSF. By cultivating this attitude over time, it is my hope to foster a base of members to run for Minister of Defense in the future and to oversee military activities at a sub-Cabinet level.

Something brash, perhaps quite fetching
Hook and eye, couldn't you just simply die?
Making sure it fits forelock and crest
Don't forget some magic in the dress

3. Infrastructure

Part of running a military is the building and maintenance of appropriate infrastructure. Some of this (public Dispatches and information) has been discussed above. However, I wish to discuss two specific points here: private sub-forums for the SPSF and the SPSF record keeping system.

Forum Organization

The SPSF, along with most defender militaries, has largely foregone forum-based planning and discussion areas in favor of Discord-based communication. Overall, this is an inevitable and beneficial trend which adapts militaries to modern needs. However, post length planning for some endeavors is important. During my term, I would work with forum administration to develop a private area for the SPSF for the purpose of hosting private training guides and background information for new Trainees, standing orders for long-term missions, and larger SPSF community discussions about the structure and direction of the military. While these forums would likely not have daily posts, having secure private discussion places in a threaded format is beneficial for some discussions and developing resources.

Record-keeping System

A record-keeping system for the SPSF was a component of incumbent Minister Witchcraft and Sorcery’s campaign. He wrote about the importance of member-specific mission information and long-term documentation. This will continue to be a project under my term, but with more limited expectations. The goal by the end of the term is to create (either myself or delegated to another SPSFer) a spreadsheet which can count total missions based on available update reports for each SPSFer and provide periodic forum-side updates to that information based on new missions. This project is substantially more reasonable to set up than the long-term goal of a TITO-style War Records system (threads which document all missions of members) for a variety of reasons including the staffing required and the volume of missions processed.

Hour by hour, one more change
I'm sewing them together, take great pains

4. Operational Concerns

While most of this campaign so far has focused on proactive parts of my agenda as Minister of Defense, this section will focus on basic operational concerns for the operation of the SPSF, its priorities during my term, and my skills and abilities to execute those priorities.

• I believe the mission of the SPSF is to promote democratic self-determination abroad by promoting the principle of regional sovereignty for all regions, with exception of those that are fascist or espouse hateful ideologies. For any offensive use of force, there must be strong evidence the operation will serve the interests of the South Pacific. As it relates to fascist regions, our priority should be anti-fascist efforts with the explicit goal of deplatforming fascists. I do not believe the mission statement of the SPSF includes offensive operations against raider/raiding regions and, if operationally feasible, will deploy the SPSF to oppose such raids.
  • Not all SPSF operations can or should be planned by me and I intend to empower our Officers and Commanders to autonomously plan operations.
  • For the most part, the SPSF will continue to operate out of the Antifa server for anti-fascist operations and the Libcord server for defensive operations. Scenarios where we would deviate from this would be on specific occasions as a community-building activity or in the case of explicit joint operations which operate outside of Libcord/Antifa (i.e. defenses of certain quorum raids, differently planned/organized anti-fascist operations, joint detag runs which serve FA purposes, etc.).
  • Given some of the unique dynamics in our normal operations areas relating to defenses of quorum raids, the SPSF needs to be prepared to update independently or in a shared channel with other organizations that prioritize quorum raid defenses (RRA, TITO, and LDF primarily) rather than through Libcord and should initiate dialogues about planning those operations as soon as a potentially controversial proposal is submitted to the queue. Such operations should also include efforts to contact native regions that we are unsuccessful in defending about restoring their approval.
  • I am an active updater with the SPSF, attending in between 7-12 updates consistently each week. This will enable me to provide in the field guidance and be responsive to the operational needs of the SPSF in guiding strategic planning.
  • As it relates to the pseudo-Foreign Affairs elements of the SPSF, I have good interpersonal relations with most active military leaders and operational access to both Libcord and TITO channels. I look forward to cooperation with the full array of defender militaries and Independent or unaligned militaries such as EPSA, NPA, Thaecia, TWPAF, and Legio Pacifica.
  • I believe the Partnership for Sovereignty presents many opportunities for future collaboration and represents a strong framework for interregional political and intellectual defender cooperation. However, I do not currently think it is appropriate for it to host defender operational infrastructure. I do intend to focus on bilateral military cooperation with other members of the PfS.

Piece by piece, snip by snip
Croup, dock, haunch, shoulders, hip
Thread by thread, primmed and pressed
Yard by yard, never stressed
And that's the Art of the Dress!

Conclusion

In conclusion, I am very excited for the opportunity to serve as Minister of Defense. I enjoy NS government positions because of the challenges they bring and the sense of accomplishment at a job well done. I think I bring the right organization-building skillset and approach for the current challenges the SPSF faces and look forward to working with everyone to help build the capabilities and culture of the SPSF so it can effectively advocate for South Pacifican defender values.

Conflict of Interest Statement
I am currently a legislator of the South Pacific. Additionally, I am a Soldier and Officer-in-Training in the SPSF, a member of OWL staff and Ministry of Culture staff, Ambassador to Balder, and I work with the Ministry of Engagement primarily on its Cards programs.

I am also currently a Member State of Refugia, a neutral region with an environmental and social focus. I am the Security Council Correspondent to the Councillor of WA Affairs of Refugia, which is an appointed position which issues voting recommendations on SC proposals. Past recommendations I have issued can be found here. My position is as an appointed deputy to the current Councillor of WA Affairs whose term ends on July 5 and I will not volunteer to be re-appointed if I am elected. After elections and transition time, there would only be two weeks of overlap in which I would hold both the role of Minister of Defense and SC Correspondent in Refugia. Additionally, if either in my own judgement or the assessment of the OWL Director or MoFA it was believed issuing a recommendation in Refugia may adversely effect the Foreign Affairs of TSP, I would ask my boss to issue the recommendation instead without my assistance.

In the past, I have served as Delegate, Chief Executive, and various Officer positions in the Renegade Islands Alliance. I am also a former citizen of 10000 Islands where I served as WA Delegate and various Minister and Senator positions. I am no longer a citizen of either region.
Minister of Foreign Affairs
General of the South Pacific Special Forces
Ambassador to Balder
Former Prime Minister and Minister of Defense

[Image: rank_general.min.svg] [Image: updates_lifetime_3.min.svg] [Image: detags_lifetime_4.min.svg] [Image: defenses_lifetime_4.min.svg]

[Image: ykXEqbU.png]

How do you envision the work of community building being spread among the members of the SPSF? For example, how much of the work do you want to do yourself vs. delegating to others, how much of a leadership role you will give to members, etc.

How will you promote transparency and accountability?

What steps will you take to ensure that all of these objectives get done on time?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Purple Hyacinth's post:
  • Stan Melix

As a candidate in the MoD election, will you commit to abstaining in the MoD election?
4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jay Coop's post:
  • Stan Melix

(06-06-2021, 03:34 PM)Purple Hyacinth Wrote: How do you envision the work of community building being spread among the members of the SPSF? For example, how much of the work do you want to do yourself vs. delegating to others, how much of a leadership role you will give to members, etc.
I have a piece I submitted to TSJ about the idea of community building in a regional military which will hopefully come out shortly and can maybe provide more detail about the theory behind my ideas for community building. (Part of my existing section on community building is reframed language from that article, although the full article will provide more context.)

As to how to do it, this is the area of my platform that is least able to be handled via a set of policy proposals, so the concept of “delegating” it is odd. As I explain in my main platform, culture is something you create not only by maintaining a friendly presence and persona in the chat but also in collaboration with other members of the community. Community and culture amounts to how we interact with one another on a daily basis, and as a result it is the thing least in the control of the Minister of Defense to simply wave their hands and "create" it.

Despite this, the leadership of a community plays a meaningful role in shaping its direction, and I’d do my best to be the culture I wish to see and use the influence of a position of leadership to institutionalize and maintain that community. As to the characteristics of that community, I have described them above: a strong military r/d community should be positive, autonomous, and self-reliant. To this end, I would make regular efforts to congratulate SPSF members on their accomplishments (spotting raids, contributing in a group discussion, a fast chase speed, etc.), encourage SPSF members to talk about their non-r/d or even non-NS interests casually with other SPSFers, and I would prioritize the development of an SPSF internal barracks discussion culture rather than exporting our off update chat culture fully to Libcord’s general chat or the NSGP server. I have thus far tried to avoid relying on my past experience elsewhere to support this campaign, but since these elements are largely about performance in day-to-day interactions I will point to my time as Delegate of XKI where I made a pointed “return home” relative to my predecessor in terms of the Delegate's presence in the community by maintaining activity on the Discord, forum, and RMB in non-governmental situations, which I believe contributed in part (although certainly not in whole) to XKI’s internal cultural revival during my term and the few months prior.

Another element of this is structured efforts to build community. This would take the form of periodically (likely once every 2ish weeks) having the SPSF conduct low stakes operations (e.g. detags, Officer training, chasing a smaller tagging party, etc.) out of its own channels rather than Libcord in order to help create a distinctive sense of SPSF community and running cultural events for the SPSF (e.g. tetrio or skribblio games before or after update). Additionally, the work done with Media/Engagement will give individual SPSFers a greater platform to define their experience within the SPSF and work in tandem with the community vision I describe above, where members are given opportunities to celebrate their work and accomplishments.

As to who will conduct these things, I am willing to do the work on these cultural items but if others would like to, I certainly will not decline help. Part of my goal for this culture is openness and people feeling they can step up and help "run the Ministry".
(06-06-2021, 03:34 PM)Purple Hyacinth Wrote: How will you promote transparency and accountability?
Transparency and accountability are particularly important for the Ministry of Defense. Of the 5 Ministries, its work requires the highest amount of technical knowledge and expertise to understand its work product. I agree with Quebec that providing Assembly-digestible statements about our operations is important for Assembly oversight and will endeavor to provide that. In past government work, I’ve maintained a public “office thread” where I post periodic updates on projects and accomplishments, often in list format. I would continue that if elected Minister of Defense and include both specific information about large operations (e.g. major defenses/liberations/anti-fascist operations) and aggregate information about smaller operations (e.g. chasing/detag runs). I would also be willing to take questions from the Assembly in the office thread or in #legislators-lounge.

An area where I do not agree with Quebec is about moving SPSF mission reports to Discord. While Discord is a strong method of communication for the SPSF and is frequented by many legislators, it is not appropriate as a platform of record. Further, an SPSF records channel in the MoD section would only be viewable by SPSF members and thus would not satisfy public oversight. While the existing public update records thread has fallen out of date, I believe this is an issue of upkeep rather than structure. As Minister of Defense, I would clarify the personnel authorized to update the reports thread includes the full team of Officers (which, after Luca and I finish training, will include 5 regularly updating SPSFers of Officer rank or above) and also make updating the thread part of my personal weekly to do list (elaborated below) should it have fallen behind. Fortunately, updating this thread is not strenuous work, it simply requires periodically devoting a few minutes to it. While these records are technical and possibly not useful to many legislators, providing the “raw data” in a public format in addition to Minister/Ministry commentary via the Ministry of Media and/or my office thread means that the Assembly can have the raw information to provide critical oversight of the MoD. It’s the same reason RL government agencies put out both raw data and interpreted data.

As to transparency more broadly, I do not believe it would be appropriate to release officer planning or soldier update chats. Firstly, releasing this information would be incredibly cumbersome as a lot of these chats are casual in nature and thus contain personal information, which would be excessively laborious to redact relative to potential benefit of releasing logs. Second, much of the information is operationally secure even after an operation is complete and even minute details in an update chat can be used by military opponents to undermine future SPSF operations.

I think that came out jumbled, so let me know if you have further questions.
(06-06-2021, 03:34 PM)Purple Hyacinth Wrote: What steps will you take to ensure that all of these objectives get done on time?

So, I’ll start by saying, if I accomplish 50% of what’s in here, I think that’s a “good” term. An “exemplary” term or a term I’m truly proud of is 75+% of it. Disruptions to workflow are especially likely in the Ministry of Defense where a major occupation could cause a days or weeks long headache and stall infrastructure building work. At the same time, I am blessed with an outgoing Minister of Defense who is an active updater and a growing Officer corps that can take the lead in major operational spots, thus giving me more flexibility to focus on the long term and hopefully minimize those disruptions to my workflow. I’ve laid out an ambitious agenda here where we’re not going to truly run out of work to do, and I intend to keep working to get as much of it done as possible.

With that said, I’ll break things into two chunks: weekly tasks and long term projects. Early in my term based on my RL schedule I'll designate a day of the week to take care of certain "upkeep tasks". In the context of my campaign, weekly tasks include:
  • Updating the public forum records thread. After it has been set up, this would also include updating the comprehensive member-specific record spreadsheet, provided that has not been delegated to another individual.
  • Checking on the status of training for new Trainees and for Officers-in-Training and contacting them as appropriate to set up additional training
  • Updating my office thread with progress on tasks.

For long-term projects, I'll break up my priority list into three chunks--early term projects, mid-term projects, and late-term projects. Most of these things are discussed in the main campaign post and then are just referred to here. Let me know if I left anything out, and thank you for the question because writing this down in triaged form is a useful planning exercise on its own.

Early term:
  • Coordinate with the Delegate and Minister of Engagement about SPSF promotion in the welcome Dispatches, SWAN, and organizing and updating promotional Dispatches. I would allow other SPSF members to assist with this project if they wish.
  • Conduct a roster audit. While I don't believe in imposing strict activity requirements, this also serves as an opportunity for me to reach out to our full roster privately about their future plans and how to move them to the next stage of their participation. Perhaps some people will be called back to the SPSF who were previously disengaged. Others may be put on a more forward-oriented track for their training and participation.
  • Initiate work on a new SPSF spreadsheet-based member-organized record keeping system to supplement the existing records thread. I would offer for another SPSFer to work on this or I will learn how to do it myself and begin the project (would probably be good for me Tounge)
  • Initial round of MoM publications and public recruiting events.
  • Begin discussions with other defender leaders about how to prepare for future quorum defenses. Begin work on any potential solutions.

Mid-term:
  • Continue MoM publications and public recruiting events. Start work with Local Council to host at least one on site event if possible.
  • Do a check in with Officer Melix about the Tidal Force program. I don't want to do this at the start of the term because TF is still somewhat in its infancy, but after 3-4 months of maturity in the program, we're in a position to assess potentially ramping it up, expanding on-site recruitment, possibly involving more or different people in running it, and moving to working at 2 updates per day.
  • Begin work with forum administration on potentially adding a private SPSF sub-forum for record-keeping and long-form conversations. Start drafting work for private guides for that sub-forum.
  • Finalize work on spreadsheet for SPSF record organization by member. Start data entry of past SPSF records.

End of term:
  • Re-evaluate goals based on available SPSFers as well as their interests and our current operational standing/function.
  • Potentially do targeted bilateral defender operations with Independent/unaligned militaries and other defender militaries to strengthen targeted military-to-military ties independently of traditional Libcord operations. Adjust this plan based on current happenings.
  • Continue MoM publications and public recruiting events.
  • Finalize SPSF record keeping spreadsheet and prepare to hand off to next Minister and the General Corps.
  • Finish guides for the private SPSF sub-forum so it is ready to use for the next Minister.

(06-06-2021, 04:22 PM)Jay Coop Wrote: As a candidate in the MoD election, will you commit to abstaining in the MoD election?
No, I intend to vote for myself in the election. I agree largely with Luca and Quebec's responses in each of their threads to this question.

In a democracy, the public gets to vote, and as a member of that public I don't see why I forfeit that right because I'm a candidate. I think I'd be a good MoD, that's why I'm running, and if I didn't then I shouldn't be running. The integrity of the election is not questioned by me voting as it should not be revolutionary to people that I vote for myself. If my campaign platform, past experience, and general character doesn't convince someone to vote for me, I don't see why my own self-belief would. Not to mention, it all cancels out in a wash since my opponent will also likely vote for themselves, so it has the same effect as if we both abstained. Finally, while this is (likely) a 2 candidate election, in a 3 candidate election if I were eliminated in the first round of IRV, a notion that I should abstain would mean my preference between the other two candidates is invalidated, which takes away my right to have input as a voter.

I do intend to vote privately both due to my personal comfort and because, if I am elected, I want to be able to have strong collegiality with all the other members of the Cabinet regardless of election results.
Ambassador to Balder

[Image: rank_general.min.svg] [Image: updates_lifetime_3.min.svg] [Image: detags_lifetime_4.min.svg] [Image: defenses_lifetime_4.min.svg]

[-] The following 3 users Like HumanSanity's post:
  • Apatosaurus, Free Las Pinas, Stan Melix

(06-06-2021, 11:15 PM)HumanSanity Wrote: Another element of this is structured efforts to build community. This would take the form of periodically (likely once every 2ish weeks) having the SPSF conduct low stakes operations (e.g. detags, Officer training, chasing a smaller tagging party, etc.) out of its own channels rather than Libcord in order to help create a distinctive sense of SPSF community...

I like all of the cultural and community suggestions you've made, though I have one concern with the above. I think on a conceptual level this is absolutely a great idea, and that we absolutely should conduct Officer training from our own channels unless the Minister discusses with other Libcord commanders to Libcord to help advance their training through something. Detagging as well is entirely something we can pursue on our own every now and then to build some internal SPSF function.

However, chasing is where my concern arises. Defenderdom's overall strength is in its common interests and numbers. What do you define as a small tagging party? Ultimately, I much rather we chase with Libcord, as it increases our chance for shutouts or higher win-rates, where it's a higher risk to do it outside of Libcord, even if the tagging party is not considered large. I suppose it depends on the organization we're chasing and what we consider large or not, but still, I felt that worth mentioning. I know you're not advocating it as a frequent practice, and of what you did suggest, not much of it may be chasing, but I felt like asking regardless.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Quebecshire's post:
  • Moon

(06-07-2021, 10:33 AM)Quebecshire Wrote:
(06-06-2021, 11:15 PM)HumanSanity Wrote: Another element of this is structured efforts to build community. This would take the form of periodically (likely once every 2ish weeks) having the SPSF conduct low stakes operations (e.g. detags, Officer training, chasing a smaller tagging party, etc.) out of its own channels rather than Libcord in order to help create a distinctive sense of SPSF community...
I like all of the cultural and community suggestions you've made, though I have one concern with the above. I think on a conceptual level this is absolutely a great idea, and that we absolutely should conduct Officer training from our own channels unless the Minister discusses with other Libcord commanders to Libcord to help advance their training through something. Detagging as well is entirely something we can pursue on our own every now and then to build some internal SPSF function.

However, chasing is where my concern arises. Defenderdom's overall strength is in its common interests and numbers. What do you define as a small tagging party? Ultimately, I much rather we chase with Libcord, as it increases our chance for shutouts or higher win-rates, where it's a higher risk to do it outside of Libcord, even if the tagging party is not considered large. I suppose it depends on the organization we're chasing and what we consider large or not, but still, I felt that worth mentioning. I know you're not advocating it as a frequent practice, and of what you did suggest, not much of it may be chasing, but I felt like asking regardless.
Before I put forth my broader methodological disagreement, the answer to "what is small" is "small enough for us to handle". If we have 6 people at update and there's a tagging party of 3, then we can take 'em just fine. Sometimes multiple orgs are tagging/raiding at one update, if that's the case why shouldn't we split off to defend as the SPSF instead of as a conglomerate within Libcord? I also want to clarify this suggestion in the parenthetical was assuming that we had planned to operate separately, prepared a detag run, but decided to switch to chasing a second group so Libcord could handle another group.

Update operations have to be flexible in any scenario, and the Officers on duty would have broad operational prerogative to change if there was a clear and imminent threat more important than our community building exercise (e.g. a clear occupation stage). Tag runs serve the operational purpose of getting our chasers practice for more significant occupation-size defenses, helping keep defender morale high and raider morale low, and are a low priority stand-alone defense item. However, in and of themselves tags are a low priority defense operation.

This leads me to my broader point that advancing the SPSF's community (and by extension numbers) so we can handle more significant operations (major defenses/liberations) is simply more important than a few tags slipping through. It's about a short term vs long term payoff. Developing an autonomous SPSF community within the broader Libcord and defender community is the long-term goal, and taking an update every 2-ish weeks (1 in 28 updates!) to carve out our own community is simply a smart investment in ourselves over the long term.
Ambassador to Balder

[-] The following 2 users Like HumanSanity's post:
  • Moon, Quebecshire

If they were raided, can you say whether or not with explanations whether you would defend:
 - Chicken overlords
 - The Embassy
 - TBH
 - NationStates
 - A Warzone
Local Councilroar.

(06-09-2021, 06:33 PM)Apatosaurus Wrote: If they were raided, can you say whether or not with explanations whether you would defend:
For all of these, I would keep in mind operational considerations. You have obviously asked these because they're somewhat "hot button" controversies recently and discussing them can get at the finer points of defender philosophy, which I think is valid. However, if we do not have the numbers to pull off a liberation in a non-banjection/griefing occupation situation, then I'm not going to expend SPSF energy and resources on fights we simply cannot win. That said, if there's any reasonable hope (reasonable being a key term), then any region I say "yes" to is something I'd support us working on.
(06-09-2021, 06:33 PM)Apatosaurus Wrote: - Chicken overlords
Yep, we're defending that.
(06-09-2021, 06:33 PM)Apatosaurus Wrote:  - The Embassy
Yep, we're defending that. I wrote the SC liberation for it to prevent even worse damage being done to the region.

(06-09-2021, 06:33 PM)Apatosaurus Wrote:  - TBH
While in principle I am willing to defend raider regions, TBH specifically is not a region I believe the SPSF should defend. The SPSF is a military which represents the sovereign interests of the Coalition, and I believe this includes not defending regions which have committed repeated acts of hostility against the Coalition.

(06-09-2021, 06:33 PM)Apatosaurus Wrote:  - NationStates
Yep, we're defending that.

As Delegate of XKI, I was publicly supportive of the NationStates Delegate bump because it was in line with the mission statement and sentiment of the region. As Minister of Defense of the SPSF, I would deploy the SPSF against any act of aggression against NationStates. Not only because the SPSF mission statement does not include a carve out for raiders or raider-sympathizers, but also because NationStates is an embassy of TSP's, and I would find it strange that we're willing to defend infinite regions we have no relationship to but not a region we have a longstanding (albeit loose) tie to.
(06-09-2021, 06:33 PM)Apatosaurus Wrote:  - A Warzone
I would be willing to devote resources to defending and/or liberating a warzone, although at lower priority than any occupation being run at the same time (likely at higher priority than a tag run, but it would vary based on which warzone and the native community present). I'll also note I find the idea of liberating a Warzone kind of odd because in theory if it is taken over at one update and then destroyed immediately, the raiders should move out (alas, they did once attempt to occupy one, but I don't think we'll see a repeat of that).
Ambassador to Balder

[-] The following 1 user Likes HumanSanity's post:
  • Apatosaurus

Hi all, 

I want to thank everyone who participated in the democratic process. One of the things that makes the SPSF unique as a major NS military is that it is led by an official directly elected by the electorate writ large, rather than one appointed or elected by its own members, and is therefore accountable to external oversight and review.

It is my hope to live up to the promises I have made in my campaign as Minister of Defense and I'm excited for the opportunity to serve. If anyone has any questions at any point during my term, they need only reach out to me and ask.

I want to thank Quebec for running an excellent campaign with a lot of passion, energy, and good ideas. I look forward to working with the Cabinet, the General Corps, and all of the SPSF's Officers and Soldiers, including Quebec, in the upcoming term.

HS
Ambassador to Balder

[-] The following 4 users Like HumanSanity's post:
  • Jay Coop, Moon, Purple Hyacinth, Witchcraft and Sorcery