We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

#Moonfungus4MoM

#MOONFUNGUS4MOM

Hello ladies, gentlemen and non-binary pals of TSP! If you don’t know me, allow me to summarily introduce myself; I’m Moonfungus (you can call me Moon if you like!), your favorite anime-loving, raider-and-fascist-dunking, milestone-zooming Legislator. I’ve been a TSPer since the beginning of this year and I’m currently serving as a Deputy Chair of the Assembly under Purple Hyacinth for a month or so. And now I’m throwing my hat in the ring and asking for you to elect me as your new Minister of Media, so that I can serve this wonderful region that’s been my home at a much greater capacity!

Moon, aren’t you new here? Don’t you think that you’re going a bit fast in this whole election thingy?

Yep, and I like it that way. I might not have much going in terms of experience, but I aim to make up for it with my Optimism™, Stubbornness™ and Caffeine-Fuelled Energy™ (yes I’m trademarking that, just because I can).

Alright then, why should we vote for you and not for any other candidates?

That’s a great question. In fact, that is the question. Why should you vote for me specifically, and not for the other qualified candidates gunning for this position? It’s because I want to bring some changes to the things we do and how we do it.

As a lot of you might be aware by now, the Ministry of Media has taken some criticism for the lack of visible activity it has generated during the ongoing term. While I personally believe that Islas has done a decent job at guiding the ministry ship and our activity level has been certainly higher than before, I believe that a new hand is required at the rudder right now and I hope to be that new hand, with your support of course. I don’t expect to magically solve the ministry’s problems at a snap, nor do I expect to be a perfect Minister with no mistakes whatsoever. I do however promise you this; I will be fully dedicated to the constant improvement of the ministry to the best of my abilities, while also ensuring that we put out quality content out there on a regular basis. So without further ado, here are my plans laid before your eyes for judgement:

THE NEWS SERVICES

The Southern Journal:

I plan to move to a monthly, four-feature format with TSJ, instead of the current bi-monthly format that we have right now. I believe that we’re more than capable right now to put out a monthly issue of TSJ of a consistent quality that we can be happy with.

I plan to direct TSJ writers and journalists to write factually accurate articles which are concise in nature and easy to digest for our readers. Our readers read our articles because they want to know stuff and I intend to let them do so in peace.

[font]I also intend to advertise TSJ and spread it around NationStates as well. I would like cooperate with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and its diplomats to meet this goal. Working to create a “Dispatch Upvote Team” - volunteers whose role would be to upvote TSJ issues once they’re released (or even other releases by the Ministry of Media and other ministries) - would be in my agenda as well. I also plan to continue Islas’ “Regions Abroad” idea, which featured a single region each TSJ issue for its unique characteristics.[/font]

I would also like to focus on feature interviews, with the interviewees being someone who have contributed notably to the betterment of NationStates in any way. The candidates will vary from R/Ders to card players to RPers in order to let our audience know about the struggles and achievements in their years in this game, as well as some advice for new players looking to replicate their path. I also plan to start getting an instant reaction interview for individuals whose efforts have been officially recognized by the Security Council.

I also plan to encourage our journalists and other writers in both TSP and beyond to write opinion pieces on various subjects, ranging from NationStates stuffs to various real-life issues that our writers think needs addressing, while also having meaningful and hopefully eye-opening discussion with other MoM staffers while doing so. There are some things both in NationStates and in real life that needs to be brought to the attention of a wider audience and I intend to use our outreach abilities to do so.

The Llama Drama:

The Llama Drama has worked to bring the residents of our beautiful regions the latest news around NationStates in the past and it will continue doing so. Our intention with LD has always been to serve the latest news as quickly and accurately as we can and this will not change. As usual, journalists will be directed to write short but factually accurate articles written in a concise manner which is easy to understand and digest for our audience.

I would also like to encourage our new journalists to start writing for LD first, before moving them on to other projects. I personally believe that the nature and writing style of LD serve as a good fit for newcomers to gradually settle them in and would increase our production value by quite a margin.

The Southern Onion:

The Southern Onion will continue as it is, focused on producing onion-y pieces about various topics and individuals and hoping to bring some quiet laughter or giggles during stressful times. As much as we like to masquerade a level of seriousness and complexity while playing this god-forsaken game, I feel like it’s important to remind people that at the end of the day, it’s just that; a web browser game created in 2002 by a middling Australian author looking to promote his book.

How do I plan to accomplish that? Fourth-wall breaks. Expect a lot of fourth-wall breaks. And with some tinges of sarcasm and self-deprecation mixed in. Probably. Maybe. I’m not sure.

Real Time:

While Real Time as a concept was certainly novel, its execution has turned out to be less-than-great, contrary to all of our expectations. While I still believe that Real Time can absolutely work as proven by other regions in the past, it will take too much time and effort to do so, time and effort best directed to elsewhere for us to be more productive.

As such, I will eliminate the production of Real Time for the near-foreseeable future if I’m elected Minister.

Statistics:

Ah, the good old statistics. Everyone loves statistics. They tell us so many useful little things and usually pleases our eyes too while doing so. Usually.

I plan to continue Islas’ previous work of polling about regional debates and humorous things. I also plan to extend the polling to gameside more extensively than Islas did, and I hope to cooperate with the Local Councilors to fulfill this agenda of mine.

And while this might be just a pipe dream right now, but I would like to create an activity report based on various metrics like posts posted on the RMB, population count, endorsement counts etc. that would be released at the end of this upcoming Cabinet’s term. I intend to cooperate with every Ministry, the Local Council and the Chair of the Assembly in order to create such a report if I’m elected Minister.

Will it be a hassle to do so? Yes. Will it be worth it? I believe yes. It will serve as an objective metric for how well the upcoming Cabinet did in terms of generating activity and getting new people involved with the government and will allow us to easily identify our errors and improve upon them in the future.

SPINN:

I have a deep-rooted respect and adoration for SPINN as an institution and will not interfere with their activities if I’m elected Minister. I’m also open to collaboration with them if SPINN wishes so.

INTERNAL FUNCTIONS

Recruitment:

I intend to officially change the recruitment method from Google forms to Discord DMs and gameside telegrams. Anyone wishing to be a staffer of MoM may DM me in Discord, afterwards where I will ask them a few questions and clear them for masking.

I also intend to take applications through telegrams to my nation. I think that there is an unexplored talent pool of writers and journalists roaming only in gameside of our region and I intend to tap into it once I’m elected Minister.

Overall, I also hope to reduce the average wait time one has to now wait while applying for the Ministry and make the process a bit less frustrating for everyone involved.

Leadership:

While I might be the leader of MoM if I’m elected, a leader can’t exactly do everything alone. Hence I plan to rely on my staffers quite a lot of times, especially my Deputy Ministers and my Ministry Advisors. Sorry for the additional stress I will be giving you guys!

I would also like to hold monthly meetings with all the senior staffers in order to discuss our current state, progress on projects and various other things. I also intend to reach out to non-senior staffers to take feedback about MoM and discuss improvements with them. Overall, I intend to move forward with everyone on the same page, even if we move slowly.

I would also like to foster a friendlier and more welcoming environment inside the ministry, so that newcomers can get settled in quicker. I also encourage any staffer to reach out to me anytime and point out my flaws and areas to improve upon. MoM will be a place for constant self-improvement and constructive criticism and I hope to make everyone’s time in the ministry as enjoyable as I can.

Conflict of Interest:

I'm a MoM staffer, a SPSF Soldier, a OWL staffer, a MoFA Ambassador and a Deputy Chair of the Assembly in TSP.

I'm currently serving as a Warden-Lieutenant in The Order of The Grey Wardens.

I'm also a resident in Refugia and a citizen of Thaecia.

And yeah, that’s it. That is my plan for MoM if I get elected. I hope to have you along for the ride.

Happy Pride Month!
[-] The following 8 users Like Moon's post:
  • anjo, Floptop, Free Las Pinas, HumanSanity, Purple Hyacinth, Quebecshire, Stan Melix, Tin the Free

(06-05-2021, 03:02 AM)moonfungus Wrote:
I also intend to advertise TSJ and spread it around NationStates as well. I would like cooperate with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and its diplomats to meet this goal. Working to create a “Dispatch Upvote Team” - volunteers whose role would be to upvote TSJ issues once they’re released (or even other releases by the Ministry of Media and other ministries) - would be in my agenda as well. I also plan to continue Islas’ “Regions Abroad” idea, which featured a single region each TSJ issue for its unique characterstics.

Would your cooperation with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs include a program to distribute larger MoM updates/publications via our Ambassadors?

Note: This question is not to be taken as my opinion on the prospect, rather me simply seeking more information on MoM-MoFA goals.
[-] The following 2 users Like Quebecshire's post:
  • Moon, Stan Melix

(06-05-2021, 03:13 AM)Quebecshire Wrote:
(06-05-2021, 03:02 AM)moonfungus Wrote:
I also intend to advertise TSJ and spread it around NationStates as well. I would like cooperate with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and its diplomats to meet this goal. Working to create a “Dispatch Upvote Team” - volunteers whose role would be to upvote TSJ issues once they’re released (or even other releases by the Ministry of Media and other ministries) - would be in my agenda as well. I also plan to continue Islas’ “Regions Abroad” idea, which featured a single region each TSJ issue for its unique characterstics.

Would your cooperation with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs include a program to distribute larger MoM updates/publications via our Ambassadors?
Hi Quebec, thank you for the question.

Yes, it would. I intend to use our extensive network of Ambassadors to distribute MoM publications throughout NationStates and I hope that I can cooperate with the upcoming MoFA regarding this, if I'm elected MoM.
[-] The following 3 users Like Moon's post:
  • Luca, Quebecshire, Stan Melix

As a Legislator and private citizen I must confess that I always find myself a little surprised when new material is published from the Ministry. The content they produce is consistently excellent, but I find that it's not well publicized when we should expect content from the MoM or what content that will be.

In that vein, I note that you've chosen to move TSJ to a monthly release instead of bimonthly. Is there any plan to standardize publication of the other media outlets under the MoM's purview?

Witchcraft and Sorcery

Former Prime Minister and Minister of Defense. Formerly many things in other regions. Defender. Ideologue. he/they.
[-] The following 2 users Like Witchcraft and Sorcery's post:
  • Quebecshire, Stan Melix

This is quite an ambitious platform for a ministry that's supposedly had some visibility/activity issues, do you foresee any problems or difficulties with getting staffers involved and accomplishing these goals?
[-] The following 1 user Likes moe's post:
  • Stan Melix

(06-05-2021, 03:02 AM)moonfungus Wrote: I plan to continue Islas’ previous work of polling about regional debates and humorous things. I also plan to extend the polling to gameside more extensively than Islas did, and I hope to cooperate with the Local Councilors to fulfill this agenda of mine.
- Are our sometimes humorous, independently though-out gameside polls not good enough? ?
- I highly doubt that non-legislators would have any real interest in political/Assembly debates (if that is what you are referencing). It is also known that most legislators rarely step foot on the gameside. As such, if we were to run polls about debates, they would likely have inaccurate answers.

Quote:As a Legislator and private citizen I must confess that I always find myself a little surprised when new material is published from the Ministry. The content they produce is consistently excellent, but I find that it's not well publicized when we should expect content from the MoM or what content that will be.
I get your concern and I can assure you that MoM staffers are consistently trying their hardest to publish quality new materials as quickly as they can. While we might not've been the most consistent Ministry in TSP, I expect this to change soon, regardless of who's elected the Minister by the end of this election.

As for me, I will try to set a soft deadline of the first week of a month for the publication of TSJ, so that people can expect a new TSJ issue to drop as a new month starts.
Quote:In that vein, I note that you've chosen to move TSJ to a monthly release instead of bimonthly. Is there any plan to standardize publication of the other media outlets under the MoM's purview?
That's a tricky one. I only specified TSJ because TSJ is currently the only newspaper that is released on a periodic basis. LD is a reactionary newspaper that feeds on  first and foremost, so it would kind of redundant to standardize its publication. I'm not particularly sure if The Southern Onion has a periodic scheduled release and I would need to talk with other staffers to decide about this. Sorry.
Quote:This is quite an ambitious platform for a ministry that's supposedly had some visibility/activity issues, do you foresee any problems or difficulties with getting staffers involved and accomplishing these goals?
It will be difficult to motivate staffers to accomplish these, yes. But I like a challenge, so bring it on I guess?
Quote:Are our sometimes humorous, independently though-out gameside polls not good enough? ?
I did not say that and they're more than good enough  Tounge
Quote: I highly doubt that non-legislators would have any real interest in political/Assembly debates (if that is what you are referencing). It is also known that most legislators rarely step foot on the gameside. As such, if we were to run polls about debates, they would likely have inaccurate answers.
Understandable, I will defer to your opinion since you're in the Local Council.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Moon's post:
  • Stan Melix

I don't have any questions at this time but wanted to note I especially like your Dispatch Upvote Squad idea. I think that could have utility for the whole Cabinet and I hope you'll be able to accomplish it if elected
Minister of Foreign Affairs
General of the South Pacific Special Forces
Ambassador to Balder
Former Prime Minister and Minister of Defense

[Image: rank_general.min.svg] [Image: updates_lifetime_3.min.svg] [Image: detags_lifetime_4.min.svg] [Image: defenses_lifetime_4.min.svg]

[Image: ykXEqbU.png]
[-] The following 3 users Like HumanSanity's post:
  • Moon, Stan Melix, Witchcraft and Sorcery

I'm quite sure I had written up something in response to this campaign but I must have forgotten to post or something... Crying

Anyway, I do like your campaign Moon, and I believe you have done great work in TSP so far! Of course, there will be questions Smile

What steps will you take to ensure that content is written from many staffers?

How will you interact with staffers who are eager to contribute, but consistently produce low quality work?

How will you interact with guest writers who wish to write an article for TSJ?

What do believe Islas has done particularly well as MoM, and what do you believe they have done particularly poorly?

Why do you want to be the Minister of Media?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Purple Hyacinth's post:
  • Stan Melix

Do you believe that the MoM should have a dedicated team of editors?

Furthermore, would you encourage or require staff writers to put their works through Grammarly?
4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History
[-] The following 2 users Like Jay Coop's post:
  • Quebecshire, Stan Melix