The South Pacific
PASSED: Regional Communications Act - Printable Version

+- The South Pacific (https://tspforums.xyz)
+-- Forum: Hall of Historical Records (https://tspforums.xyz/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://tspforums.xyz/forum-141.html)
+---- Forum: Fudgetopia Hall of Government (https://tspforums.xyz/forum-12.html)
+----- Forum: Assembly of the South Pacific (https://tspforums.xyz/forum-91.html)
+----- Thread: PASSED: Regional Communications Act (/thread-4385.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: Proposal: Regional Communications Act - Roavin - 08-18-2016

That's true, though I'm sure whatever specific numbers we can come up, they will be problematic in some situations.

I think the idea is that the Delegate would have a watchful eye and possibly implement his or her own policies. So Tsu may say no more than one mass TG a day and no more than 8 TGs total in a month, but is free to then lift that restriction if needed.

RE: Proposal: Regional Communications Act - Drugged Monkeys - 08-18-2016

(08-18-2016, 08:21 AM)Roavin Wrote: That's true, though I'm sure whatever specific numbers we can come up, they will be problematic in some situations.

I think the idea is that the Delegate would have a watchful eye and possibly implement his or her own policies. So Tsu may say no more than one mass TG a day and no more than 8 TGs total in a month, but is free to then lift that restriction if needed.

I get that, but do we really want to write this issue into legislation where we already have problems with it on another piece of legislation?
Should I put up a poll in-region and see what frequency people prefer to receive mass communication?
Should we write it in here that the Delegate will set the policy on frequency?

RE: Proposal: Regional Communications Act - Belschaft - 08-18-2016

(08-17-2016, 07:48 PM)Roavin Wrote:
(08-17-2016, 06:03 PM)Belschaft Wrote: I'm hoping to get some input from the region at large on this, so would appreciate if there's no rush to vote.

That'd be great. How are you planning on doing so?

Regional TG's are, in my opinion, the only effective means of mass communication we have for one simple reason - they're the only form which people actually received notifications about. If you take the dispatch for the Charter as an example, it has been read 105 reads times in 77 days - less than twice a day on average. Several of these have been myself. They're useful for putting up information that doesn't fit in the WFE, but not for much else - certainly not for prompt notification. The simple reality is that any issue we wish to get a quick response on has to be dealt with via TG.

What I intend to do is post on the RMB, and then provide a link to that post and a secondary explanation - linking to this debate, providing a brief outline of the issues as I see them, and then asking for feedback either via the RMB or TG to myself. I'll then compile that feedback, and take it to the Assembly. If there's queries or questions I'll also address them to the best of my ability.

There will obviously be some implicit bias as it's impossible for any individual to divorce themselves from their own way of looking at things, but I will endeavour to be factually accurate. Unlike some people I don't view myself having and expressing an opinion as a negative thing; I was, after all, elected by regional WA members on the basis of such. So long as misleading or false information isn't presented, I think it is appropriate for a political representatives to act in such a manner.

(08-18-2016, 11:48 AM)Belschaft Wrote:
(08-17-2016, 06:03 PM)Belschaft Wrote: I'm hoping to get some input from the region at large on this, so would appreciate if there's no rush to vote.

Regional TG's are, in my opinion, the only effective means of mass communication we have for one simple reason - they're the only form which people actually received notifications about. If you take the dispatch for the Charter as an example, it has been read 105 reads times in 77 days - less than twice a day on average. Several of these have been myself. They're useful for putting up information that doesn't fit in the WFE, but not for much else - certainly not for prompt notification. The simple reality is that any issue we wish to get a quick response on has to be dealt with via TG.

What I intend to do is post on the RMB, and then provide a link to that post and a secondary explanation - linking to this debate, providing a brief outline of the issues as I see them, and then asking for feedback either via the RMB or TG to myself. I'll then compile that feedback, and take it to the Assembly. If there's queries or questions I'll also address them to the best of my ability.

There will obviously be some implicit bias as it's impossible for any individual to divorce themselves from their own way of looking at things, but I will endeavour to be factually accurate. Unlike some people I don't view myself having and expressing an opinion as a negative thing; I was, after all, elected by regional WA members on the basis of such. So long as misleading or false information isn't presented, I think it is appropriate for a political representatives to act in such a manner.

You could also use Tsu's Dispatch about new WA Members, which has 1041 Reads in 31 Days, about 34 views a day on average.

The amount of views all depends on Who posts the dispatch, what type of communication is used to convey the new dispatch, and the level of interest people have on the topic related to the dispatch.

I've said it before, but you can't FORCE things on people who do not care about the subject, and that's what the telegrams will do if we continue to use them. The dispatches allow people who are actually interested to view the information, while the people who aren't interested don't have to be plagued with telegrams.

The LC has yet to use dispatches, so I don't see how you can argue that they are ineffective. Also, the LC has been using Telegrams, and we CAN argue that there are issues with them.

On the subject of including a link to the debate thread, I stand by my earlier post that explained the issue with it. The purpose of the LC is to bring the information TO the region. Including a link to the debate is forcing the people to come to the forum, when the whole purpose of the LC is to bridge that gap without them having to come to the forum.

(08-18-2016, 12:16 PM)Drugged Monkeys Wrote:
(08-18-2016, 11:48 AM)Belschaft Wrote:

You could also use Tsu's Dispatch about new WA Members, which has 1041 Reads in 31 Days, about 34 views a day on average.

The amount of views all depends on Who posts the dispatch, what type of communication is used to convey the new dispatch, and the level of interest people have on the topic related to the dispatch.

I've said it before, but you can't FORCE things on people who do not care about the subject, and that's what the telegrams will do if we continue to use them. The dispatches allow people who are actually interested to view the information, while the people who aren't interested don't have to be plagued with telegrams.

The LC has yet to use dispatches, so I don't see how you can argue that they are ineffective. Also, the LC has been using Telegrams, and we CAN argue that there are issues with them.

On the subject of including a link to the debate thread, I stand by my earlier post that explained the issue with it. The purpose of the LC is to bring the information TO the region. Including a link to the debate is forcing the people to come to the forum, when the whole purpose of the LC is to bridge that gap without them having to come to the forum.

But when I provide information - in the form of a short and factual summary of the issues - as well as the link, you object to that and accuse me of trying to mislead people, going so far as asking the Court if you could bring criminal charges against me.... you can't have it both ways.

I should also point out that that dispatch was promoted via a mass TG. I have no problem with using dispatches when appropriate, but I do not believe that they are an effective means of communicating in a short period of time. I could put the information I want to send in a TG in a dispatch instead, and then send out a TG about the dispatch... but that would be kinda redundant in my mind.

Quote:Hey everyone!
The first piece of Assembly legislation since the most recent set of Local Council elections has come up to vote, and in accordance with the campaign promises and the expressed will of the region we're conducting a poll of Native WA members to decide how the Local Council block vote will be cast. The poll is restricted to WA members so that people can only vote once, so if you want to take part but currently can't vote you'll need to join the WA with a nation in TSP.
This is a relatively simple matter - the re-adoption of an existing piece of legislation that we forgot to renew at the Great Council held earlier this year - so I won't be providing any voting advice or information to help you make a decision, merely recommending that you for Aye to allow our judicial system to return to functionality.
The link to the poll is as follows; region=the_south_pacific#pollid_64592
Once we have the results of the poll, I will instruct the Chair of the Assembly to lodge the block vote in a proportional manner based on its results.
Yours,
Belschaft
Local Council Representative to the Assembly
Here is the first Telegram you sent. Bold and Underlined emphasis is mine.
Quote:Greetings!
There's another piece of legilsation at vote in TSP's legislature - the Assembly - so once again I am conducting a poll of Native WA members to decide how the Local Council block vote will be cast. The poll is restricted to WA members so that people can only vote once, so if you want to take part but currently can't vote you'll need to join the WA with a nation in TSP.
For those of you who aren't aware of the specifics, and don't want to read through the debate that is linked to in the poll, here's a brief summary;
The Assembly serves as the legislature for TSP, proposing, debating and voting on our laws, as well as electing the executive government and choosing the candidates for the Delegacy that regional WA members vote on. Membership of the Assembly is also required to hold various regional offices, both elected and appointed. It's very much the central political organ of TSP, and without it our government couldn't function.
Considering it's importance, we have certain activity requirements for people to maintain membership in the Assembly, which we call Legislator status. At present the membership requirement is that Legislators, unless on leave of absence, cannot miss two consecutive votes which start on different days - I, and many others, felt that this requirement was too strict, which is why we have introduced the legislation at vote. The current requirement means that you could lose Legislator status in as little as four days - the shortest Assembly votes lasting three days.
Should the proposed legislation be adopted, this will change to missing three non-concurrent votes - ones which do not overlap, and occur entirely on different days. This increases the minimum time period in which you can lose Legislator status to nine days, which I feel is a far more reasonable length. It is quite possible that people could be absent for four days without notice, for reasons such as ill health, and I do not believe that they should be penalised for this.
The link to the poll is as follows; page=poll/p=64943
Once we have the results of the poll, I will instruct the Chair of the Assembly to lodge the block vote in a proportional manner based on its results.
I'd also like to take this opportunity to report the passing of the most recent piece of Assembly legislation, the Re-adoption of the Judiciary Act, by 97% to 3% in the Assembly - in line with the vote of regional WA members, which was 132 Aye votes to 2 Nay votes, with 8 abstentions, a margin of 99% in favour of re-adoption. Over 140 regional WA members voted, making TSP by far the region with the highest level of political participation in NS. I don't want to spam you guys with TG's too often, so I'm not planning on reporting on the passage of assembly legislation in separate TG's, but will report it whenever possible at the end of these ones.
Yours,
Belschaft
Local Council Representative to the Assembly

Here is the second Telegram you sent. Bold and Underlined emphasis is mine.

In both instances, you either directly stated which way you felt people should vote or included your personal opinion heavily. 
I know this doesn't need repeating, but I thought it should be pointed out again.

RE: Proposal: Regional Communications Act - Omega - 08-18-2016

Members this is a debate about a piece of legislation. The High Court has made a ruling on the telegrams sent by the LC Rep. and I say we leave it at that. Can we please focus on the RCA (as I am now calling it)?

(08-18-2016, 02:24 PM)Omega Wrote: Members this is a debate about a piece of legislation. The High Court has made a ruling on the telegrams sent by the LC Rep. and I say we leave it at that. Can we please focus on the RCA (as I am now calling it)?

Deputy Chair,

My previous post is entirely relevant to the discussion at hand.
This piece of legislation includes restrictions on regional communication, such as Mass Telegrams.
The quoted telegrams above are what has brought this debate to the Assembly in the first place.

Yes, those are the TG's I sent. In them I explain - briefly - the issues in question for those who don't want to read the debate thread, and explain my own views on the issue in similar brevity.

What exactly is objectionable about that? It was what I was elected to do.

RE: Proposal: Regional Communications Act - Omega - 08-18-2016

Quote:V. THE LOCAL COUNCIL

Establishing home rule for the in-game region residents

1. The Local Council will be a body of three residents of The South Pacific elected by the region as a whole every four months, who will represent the interests of all players in the region, moderate the Regional Message Board, and encourage activity on the game-side.

2. The content of the World Factbook Entry and Dispatches will be managed by the Local Council, in cooperation with the Delegate, and must contain at least a link to the Official Regional Forums and a notice to endorse members of the Council on Regional Security.

3. The Local Council will have the authority to run regional polls, create and pin Dispatches, and to suppress messages on the Regional Message Board according to a standard moderation policy. It may not alter the regional flag or tags, and may not send out mass telegrams, without the approval of the Delegate.

4. The Local Council is responsible for sending a representative to the Assembly, whose term must not exceed the Local Council’s. The method of selection will be decided by the Local Council, along with how the representative casts their votes in the Assembly.
It says nothing about the LC having to convince the players of the region as to what they should think. It just says you should represent them. Without convincing them of anything. That's it. 
You were not actually elected to do what you say you were elected to do Belschaft. You were elected to do what is laid out above.