The South Pacific
[FAILED] Amendment to Article 2, Section 4 of the Legislative Procedures Act - Printable Version

+- The South Pacific (https://tspforums.xyz)
+-- Forum: Hall of Historical Records (https://tspforums.xyz/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://tspforums.xyz/forum-141.html)
+---- Forum: Fudgetopia Hall of Government (https://tspforums.xyz/forum-12.html)
+----- Forum: Assembly of the South Pacific (https://tspforums.xyz/forum-91.html)
+----- Thread: [FAILED] Amendment to Article 2, Section 4 of the Legislative Procedures Act (/thread-6842.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

[FAILED] Amendment to Article 2, Section 4 of the Legislative Procedures Act - North Prarie - 02-08-2019

Legislative Procedure Act
An Act to define the procedural rules of the Assembly
1. Legislative Rules

~~~

2. Powers and Responsibilities of the Chair

~~~

(4) The Chair may correct typographical errors, grammatical errors, naming or formatting inconsistencies at any time, as long as these corrections do not alter the original intent of the law, following a three day period in which the corrections are presented to the assembly for comments. Any such corrections must be recorded with the legislative history of each law.

~ ~ ~

RE: (DISCUSSION) Amendment to Article 2, Section 4 of the Legislative Procedures Act - Nakari - 02-08-2019

Can you explain why you think this change is needed?

RE: (DISCUSSION) Amendment to Article 2, Section 4 of the Legislative Procedures Act - North Prarie - 02-08-2019

(02-08-2019, 02:11 PM)Nakari Wrote: Can you explain why you think this change is needed?

I think that most of the time the 3 day period is useless, as we pretty much always agree on the changes and such.

RE: (DISCUSSION) Amendment to Article 2, Section 4 of the Legislative Procedures Act - Ryccia - 02-08-2019

It is my belief that the current version of our present regulations allows for time to counter any unlawful editing of our laws, should a Chair get any ideas.

RE: (DISCUSSION) Amendment to Article 2, Section 4 of the Legislative Procedures Act - North Prarie - 02-08-2019

(02-08-2019, 02:14 PM)Ryccia Wrote: It is my belief that the current version of our present regulations allows for time to counter any unlawful editing of our laws, should a Chair get any ideas.

That's a fair point...
If this proposed amendment is generally deemed unnecessary then we can just forget about it ;p

RE: (DISCUSSION) Amendment to Article 2, Section 4 of the Legislative Procedures Act - Belschaft - 02-08-2019

I can think of several occasions where the three day period has been useful, including one attempt to restart the War of 1812.

RE: (DISCUSSION) Amendment to Article 2, Section 4 of the Legislative Procedures Act - Divine Owl - 02-08-2019

This could allow the Chair to do things without opposition...
I don’t think this change is necessary.

RE: (DISCUSSION) Amendment to Article 2, Section 4 of the Legislative Procedures Act - Amerion - 02-09-2019

(02-08-2019, 02:14 PM)Ryccia Wrote: It is my belief that the current version of our present regulations allows for time to counter any unlawful editing of our laws, should a Chair get any ideas.

(02-08-2019, 10:37 PM)Divine Owl Wrote: This could allow the Chair to do things without opposition...
I don’t think this change is necessary.

I would never ... Devil

I understand the reasoning behind the proposal but I also think consultations with the Assembly on possible minor corrections is in the best interests of everybody.

RE: [DRAFT] Amendment to Article 2, Section 4 of the Legislative Procedures Act - Jebediah - 02-09-2019

Quote:2. Powers and Responsibilities of the Chair
(4) The Chair may correct typographical errors, grammatical errors, naming or formatting inconsistencies at any time, as long as these corrections do not alter the original intent of the law, following a three day period in which the corrections are presented to the assembly for comments. Any such corrections must be recorded with the legislative history of each law.
(4) The chair may delay...
(5) The chair may freely...
(6) The chair may waive...

Do we really need this? I mean, any legislator can go and correct "typographical errors, grammatical errors, naming or formatting inconsistencies" by proposing it in the assembly, and since the chair needs to present the corrections to the assembly, it effectively means that the chair needs to go through the same process as any other legislator.

RE: [DRAFT] Amendment to Article 2, Section 4 of the Legislative Procedures Act - Nakari - 02-09-2019

(02-09-2019, 06:30 AM)Jebediah Wrote:
Quote:2. Powers and Responsibilities of the Chair
(4) The chair may delay...
(5) The chair may freely...
(6) The chair may waive...

Do we really need this? I mean, any legislator can go and correct "typographical errors, grammatical errors, naming or formatting inconsistencies" by proposing it in the assembly, and since the chair needs to present the corrections to the assembly, it effectively means that the chair needs to go through the same process as any other legislator. 

Not exactly the same - the legislator's has to go through a vote, while the chair's doesn't, which saves us from half of our votes being on "this needs a comma" Tounge