We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Last Person to Post Wins II
#1,401

You mean the Arc de Triomphe?
Signed
Gianluca IV

Roleplayer (active in TSP since 2016)
TSPedia-Author
Head Bartender of the Lampshade Bar & Grill

Information about my roleplay
Pacifica GI-Land, Snolland (Hazelbrust), Guardian of the World Forum, IUFA-FWC/WFWC- and Pacivision Supervisor • 
Aurora Markatt (Maura)
#1,402

What about the Arch of Constantine?
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]
#1,403

Never heard of it
Signed
Gianluca IV

TSPedia-Author

Pacifica GI-Land, Snolland (Hazelbrust), Guardian of the World Forum, IUFA-FWC/WFWC- and Pacivision Supervisor • 
Aurora Markatt (Maura)
#1,404

Someone needs to study more Roman history....

#1,405

Yeah, maybe. But to be honest, after my advanced courses in history in the A-Levels, I don't really have the urge to study Roman history.
We haven't talked about the "Arch of Constantine", but other, more important things and somehow there is this lack of interest now in this time.
I even haven't catched up to my own countries history completely yet. That I'll do maybe first.
Signed
Gianluca IV

TSPedia-Author

Aurora Markatt (Maura)
#1,406

Huh

You do realise that Roman history is the history of the whole world? You literally can't find a civilisation who's study is more central and vital to the whole damn thing.

#1,407

Indeed the Romans had a big part in world (and especially European) history, but nevertheless it's not my duty or I even would say, it isn't belonging to common knowledge, to know, what the Arch of Constantine was or even is. It is sufficient to know the Arc de Triomphe, if you know "the original" you get 100 points more on your score.
Other things about the Roman Empire are more important to know than this thing.
(btw: Last year I went to Rome with my history class and we even saw the Arco di Constantino, but it wasn't even mentioned by our tourist guides or history teachers. Therefore we know more things about the Colosseo or Ostia or a few other things, that are more important and related to Rome)
Signed
Gianluca IV

TSPedia-Author

Aurora Markatt (Maura)
#1,408

I'm obviously not suggesting that the Arch of Constantine is the most important part of Roman History... but you did mention a lesser arch created in the style of the Roman Triumphal Arch's Tounge

I was responding to your comment that you "don't really have the urge to study Roman history." - studying history without a solid foundation in Rome is like studying mathematics without an understanding of calculus.

#1,409

But I do have a quite solid foundation in Roman history (or at least I had it. It's now more than a half year ago, that I had my exams on this subject), so it's not quite serious, if I just start learning more about, dunno French and German history and mention a lesser arch instead of the original Tounge
And, as you see, one can only learn more by knowing less Happywide
Signed
Gianluca IV

TSPedia-Author

Aurora Markatt (Maura)
#1,410

Clearly you don't know me well enough; most people avoid statements like "I do have a quite solid foundation in Roman history" so as to not risk receiving an impromptu exam Tounge

IMPROMPTU EXAM ON ROMAN HISTORY

1. Explain the causes of the decline of the Roman Republic. (10 marks)

2. In what ways did the crisis of the third century contribute to the eventual collapse of the western roman empire? (10 marks)

3. Discuss the influences of Hellenic culture on Roman Civilisation? (10 marks)

4. A number of individuals have been described by historians as the "Last of the Romans"; identify your chosen candidate and discuss. (30 marks)