We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Trump Presidency

It has just come to light, through The Washington Post, that Attorney General Jeff Sessions met with Russian Ambassador Sergey Kislyak twice during the 2016 election campaign. This is important because then-Senator and Attorney General nominee Sessions was asked at a confirmation hearing by fellow Senator Al Franken (Democrat) what he would do if he learned of any evidence that anyone affiliated with the Trump campaign communicated with the Russian government in the course of the 2016 campaign. Under oath, he said, "I'm not aware of any of those activities. I have been called a surrogate at a time or two in that campaign and I did not have communications with the Russians." Senator Patrick Leahy (D) said, "Several of the President-elect’s nominees or senior advisers have Russian ties. Have you been in contact with anyone connected to any part of the Russian government about the 2016 election, either before or after election day?" Sessions responded with one word, "No." This is in direct contradiction to what the report by The Washington Post says.

Heading into the night, several Democratic congresspeople had mixed responses. While some have called for him to recuse himself from from any investigations into the connections between Russia and the Trump campaign, others such as House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi have called for his resignation. Days earlier, Congressman Darrell Issa (Republican) called for a special prosecutor to investigate the Trump–Russia connections. As the news was unfolding, Republican Senators John McCain and Lindsey Graham were attending a CNN town hall. At the town hall, Graham said Sessions should recuse himself. Meanwhile, McCain called for a select congressional committee to investigate Russia's attempts to influence the U.S. election. I have no doubt that tomorrow is going to be a long day.

4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History

Update: Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer has called for Attorney General Jeff Sessions' resignation.

My History

There will be a press conference on this matter shortly.

My History

Earlier this morning, Trump tweeted,

Quote:"Terrible! Just found out that Obama had my 'wires tapped' in Trump Tower just before the victory. Nothing found. This is McCarthyism!"

Quote:"Is it legal for a sitting President to be "wire tapping" a race for president prior to an election? Turned down by court earlier. A NEW LOW!"

Quote:"I'd bet a good lawyer could make a great case out of the fact that President Obama was tapping my phones in October, just prior to Election!"

Quote:"How low has President Obama gone to tapp my phones during the very sacred election process. This is Nixon/Watergate. Bad (or sick) guy!"

I had never believed any one of my Presidents had schizophrenia…until now.

My History

Don't discriminate against conditions.
I am Zadiner/Zak. Part of Assembly, some other stuff, Founder of some other region.
Hey, I have a bunch of issues. You don't need to care.
Emoji of the week:  :dodgy:

He isn't. He is just pointing out that Trump seems to have one, noting the guy's paranoia. Even then, I think we all agree somebody with schizophrenia shouldn't be president.
RandomGuy199
Representative of the Federal Republic of Karnetvor
Resident Venezuelan/Lampshade Bar & Grill Manager- The South Pacific
Soldier, South Pacific Special Forces

"You're talkin' to the Rolex wearin', diamond ring wearin', kiss stealin', wheelin' n' dealin', limousine ridin', jet flyin', son of a gun, and I'm having a hard time keeping these alligators down!"

"The Nature Boy" Ric Flair

(03-05-2017, 07:49 AM)Zak6858 Wrote: Don't discriminate against conditions.

Oh no, I had no intention to discriminate, as @RandomGuy199 pointed out. While I may not be a doctor, Wikipedia tells me that symptoms of schizophrenia include false beliefs, unclear or confused thinking, hearing voices that others do not hear, reduced social engagement and emotional expression, and a lack of motivation, some of which Donald Trump exhibits. I do believe that the public ought to know, since the President of the United States could order a nuclear strike at any moment, which is very frightening.

My History

(03-05-2017, 03:37 PM)Qvait Wrote:
(03-05-2017, 07:49 AM)Zak6858 Wrote: Don't discriminate against conditions.

Oh no, I had no intention to discriminate, as @RandomGuy199 pointed out. While I may not be a doctor, Wikipedia tells me that symptoms of schizophrenia include false beliefs, unclear or confused thinking, hearing voices that others do not hear, reduced social engagement and emotional expression, and a lack of motivation, some of which Donald Trump exhibits. I do believe that the public ought to know, since the President of the United States could order a nuclear strike at any moment, which is very frightening.

Excellent point.
John Hills- President of Ausstan

That orange raccoon just signed another travel ban, even after the Department of Homeland Security issued a report disputing the necessity of a travel ban. This time, it's just Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, and Yemen. Iraq was taken off the list.

My History

It seems this one wasn't as improvised as the last one. At least this one doesn't include green card holders or people with visas. They gave people a week for people to prepare too. It's still shitty, but at least they put actual thought into it.

Anyway, this is only tangentially related to Trump, but here it is anyway. I happen to be a big fan of professional wrestling, mainly of the WWE. I was watching yesterday's Pay-per-view (WWE Fastlane), and couldn't help but notice a guy with a "TRUMP IS MY PRESIDENT" sign, and another with one which read "CNN FAKE NEWS". I freaking hate when people do that. I watch this sort of stuff to forget about politics, and then this asshole comes and shoves his politics right in my goddamn face. On the bright side, it reminded me of this:

That's the now President of the United States receiving a Stone Cold Stunner from none other than Stone Cold Steve Austin at WrestleMania 23, about ten years ago. That moment is fucking priceless.
RandomGuy199
Representative of the Federal Republic of Karnetvor
Resident Venezuelan/Lampshade Bar & Grill Manager- The South Pacific
Soldier, South Pacific Special Forces

"You're talkin' to the Rolex wearin', diamond ring wearin', kiss stealin', wheelin' n' dealin', limousine ridin', jet flyin', son of a gun, and I'm having a hard time keeping these alligators down!"

"The Nature Boy" Ric Flair