We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[PASSED] Amendment to Article 1 of the Criminal Code (Defamation)

(11-23-2018, 11:50 PM)palaisbellevuebz Wrote: I support this because I believe in everyone having the right to protect their own name and defend themselves from reputational harm. However, I have concerns regarding the scope of this defamation law and its restriction on the freedom of speech of all South Pacificans. Because a defamation defendant could even be liable if they expressed their defamatory comment as an opinion of their own, as it qualifies under one of the two criteria: damaging the standing of an individual and done so with a reckless disregard for its factual accuracy.

I don't agree that a defamation law would restrict 'free speech'. People still have right to say what they want, and a defence would surely be that the words were true.
(If Such a concept of free speech actually exists anyway - as things are always restricted).

However, I agree care should be taken, a third party repeating/quoting a slanderous/libellous statement could fall into the defamation case. For me, however, that's common sense.

Messages In This Thread
RE: [DISCUSSION] Amendment to Article 1 of the Criminal Code (Defamation) - by Beepee - 11-24-2018, 12:00 AM