We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Poll: What is your stance on abortion?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Pro-choice
6.25%
1 6.25%
Pro-life
0%
0 0%
Ban after the first trimester
0%
0 0%
Pro-life, but allow in cases of rape, incest, or danger to the mother or child's health
25.00%
4 25.00%
Pro-choice, I don't agree with it but it's not my right or the government's to ban abortion
12.50%
2 12.50%
Pro-choice, but providing birth control, sex education, and social services could help reduce the number of abortions
56.25%
9 56.25%
Other
0%
0 0%
Total 16 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Abortion

I am a Christian (as my signature constantly reminds you, so that was a bit pointless), but I think I'm Pro-Choice. Like Punchwood, I've ummed and ahhed about it quite a bit, but it seems to boil down to this for me:

Seccular viewpoints:
- There is the serious issue of women's reproductive rights. At exactly what point that becomes more important the rights of the foetus I have no idea, but it is certainly clear that there are two sets of rights to consider.
-Like Qvait, I think that this means there must at least be exceptions to any absolute moral stance against abortion and also that there are options for the majority that should prevent its neccessity (although they are not always a guarantee and the attitudes of men towards contraceptives can prevent women from exercising their right to use them, even outside of clear-cut rape cases).

Spiritual viewpoints:
- I believe that we cannot legislate subjective morality. Just because I believe something to be true does not mean I can force others to conform to that belief. Even God doesn't do that (although there are consequences).
- God in the Bible is frequently described as 'giving people over' to their sinful desires, which I read as allowing people to make the choice for themselves (although usually after making it clear which course of action is the correct one). There are periods in Israel's history (most notable in Judges) where 'every man did what was right in his own eyes'. This is not seen to be a good thing (and again, it has consequences), but God allowed it to happen (and for people to make their own choices and accept the consequences thereof).
-I believe in putting forth my belief that others might not be ignorant of it, but in the end feel that I have no choice but to stand back and let them make that choice for themselves.

But whenever I write all that I still have the nagging thought at the back of my mind, 'but what about the justice for the child?' To which: I don't know. Sometimes there is no justice. Not in this life anyway.
Founder of the Church of the South Pacific [Forum Thread] [Discord], a safe place to discuss spirituality for people of all faiths and none (currently looking for those interested in prayer and/or "home" groups);
And The Silicon Pens [Discord], a writer's group for the South Pacific and beyond!

Yahweo usenneo ir varleo, ihraneo jurlaweo hraseu seu, ir jiweveo arladi.
Salma 145:8

Messages In This Thread
Abortion - by Jay Coop - 08-13-2015, 06:06 PM
RE: Abortion - by Punchwood - 05-11-2016, 06:43 PM
RE: Abortion - by Seraph - 05-11-2016, 07:16 PM
RE: Abortion - by Jay Coop - 05-11-2016, 10:29 PM
RE: Abortion - by RandomGuy199 - 05-11-2016, 10:43 PM
RE: Abortion - by Kris Kringle - 05-11-2016, 11:59 PM
Abortion - by ProfessorHenn - 05-12-2016, 07:31 AM
RE: Abortion - by Zak6858 - 05-12-2016, 08:02 AM
RE: Abortion - by Roavin - 05-12-2016, 11:15 AM
RE: Abortion - by Seraph - 05-12-2016, 12:01 PM