We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

A Drop in the Ocean Flash Writing Competition.

After careful consideration of all of the entries, the judges have decided to declare Bluie Gamer the winner!

All of the pieces were excellent in their own way and it's clear that the 'A Drop in the Ocean' theme and poetry were most prominent, but Bluie's stood out through their use of structure and imagery to create the most compelling version of the argument.

Thank you all for participating and here, again, is the winning piece:

(12-23-2016, 09:33 AM)Bluie Gamer Wrote: Only now was I able to finally, finally reply here. When the contest is finished. So I had to bother Seraph and sent him my piece, but I'm going to post it here too for posterity.
Drip
by BluieGamer, TNPer.
Plink. Plink. Plink.

What’s that sound – yes, that’s right. Be it from the sewer, from the rain, or from the leaky faucet you always swore you’ll fix one day, it is the sound of a drop of water.

Ah, such a nice, gentle, peaceful sound. It is quiet. Tranquil. Unobtrusive. It is so small, so insignificant that we barely pay any attention to it. After all, what is a drop to the gush that we can unleash with a simple turn of the faucet? It is even less special, when compared to the roaring tides that our world contains. What more to the endless amounts of icy comets, soaring around our universe, driven by forces that we bags of meat and water cannot begin to comprehend?

And you would be absolutely right. It is nothing. A mere drop has barely any power. It cannot move on its own, and it must be guided by outside forces. Even then, it is weak, so very, very weak.

Yet, it is the same thing that makes you want to finally stand up from your couch and grab your toolbox to fix that damn faucet. Have you ever wondered why would you spend time trying to repair it just to get rid of some drops? Of course not. Because you already know that you did it because it was grating on your nerves. The tiny drops, guided by gravity, impacted the bottom of the sink enough times to annoy you. They kept at it, never giving up.

Guided by gravity. Huh, haven’t I mentioned something like that? Yes, guided by outside forces. Now you’re probably wondering what is the significance of that phrase. Water is like a baby. It must be given direction, purpose, to do anything of any significance. Only when it has instruction will it act. Up up up! No need to speak. I already know that you’re going to say “But that’s water as a whole, not just drops!”

Well, let me ask you.

What is water made of?

No, don’t give me the snarky answer of hydrogen and oxygen. This isn’t chemistry class!

It’s made... of drops.

Water, one of the most essential, most influential substances in the world, is comprised of those tiny little itty bitty drops, all working together, all doing their same job. In teamwork and utilization of their individual contents, drops can either utterly wipe out an entire city or sustain a mother and her child.

Now tell me.

Do you still feel like a mere drop in the ocean?
Founder of the Church of the South Pacific [Forum Thread] [Discord], a safe place to discuss spirituality for people of all faiths and none (currently looking for those interested in prayer and/or "home" groups);
And The Silicon Pens [Discord], a writer's group for the South Pacific and beyond!

Yahweo usenneo ir varleo, ihraneo jurlaweo hraseu seu, ir jiweveo arladi.
Salma 145:8

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Drop in the Ocean Flash Writing Competition. - by Seraph - 12-23-2016, 09:15 PM