We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Some things I feel like should be said but...

(03-14-2016, 10:44 PM)Muncipio de Neiva Wrote: We all have different opinions, we all know that for a fact. But arguing isn't gonna solve anything. There is a way to be peaceful in our differing opinions. Rather than attack someone right out for having a different view, why not respond by saying you dont feel the same way and stating you opinion, without being a jack***. I am not trying to be a hippie/peacemongeror but Fighting isn't the best way to get politics done and to get our region back on track.

When I said I haven't really seen much toxicity, it's because... this is how how fierce debates tend to actually happen. When you look back at, say, the debate on overturning Belschaft's security threat declaration and allowing him to be a citizen again, it's not like the debate devolved into petty personal attacks. Both sides made cogent points. But the "right" view was that it was absurd to not overturn the declaration, and if you opposed it, you were just being obstinate and doing it for petty personal reasons. Thus, no matter how 'professional' or 'peaceful' the opposing side was, we were painted with a broad brush as being ridiculous, opposing "reconciliation," toxic, etc.

The same thing happened with the Sam recall debate. Those of us who supported his recall stated our opinions clearly, we didn't resort to name-calling or insults. We just said we couldn't trust him, because he directly participated in the coup. It would be dysfunctional to keep him on. The same process of declaring an entire opposing opinion as toxic and unreasonable happened there.

TSP's politics has a real problem with allowing opposing viewpoints. That's why there's always a search for the "moderate" position or the consensus. There's a decent chunk of players who rally behind whatever position isn't X or Y, but that doesn't always mean the triangulated proposal is good or actually solves any underlying issue. It's just a position that grabs the rug from under the arguing sides. My position has always been that arguments are good and they should just be played out. The point of democracy is to allow a fair process for one side to win and one side to lose, with the possibility of change in the future.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Some things I feel like should be said but... - by sandaoguo - 03-15-2016, 03:06 PM