We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

PASSED: Regional Communications Act

(08-18-2016, 12:16 PM)Drugged Monkeys Wrote:
(08-18-2016, 11:48 AM)Belschaft Wrote:
(08-17-2016, 07:48 PM)Roavin Wrote:
(08-17-2016, 06:03 PM)Belschaft Wrote: I'm hoping to get some input from the region at large on this, so would appreciate if there's no rush to vote.

That'd be great. How are you planning on doing so?

Regional TG's are, in my opinion, the only effective means of mass communication we have for one simple reason - they're the only form which people actually received notifications about. If you take the dispatch for the Charter as an example, it has been read 105 reads times in 77 days - less than twice a day on average. Several of these have been myself. They're useful for putting up information that doesn't fit in the WFE, but not for much else - certainly not for prompt notification. The simple reality is that any issue we wish to get a quick response on has to be dealt with via TG.

What I intend to do is post on the RMB, and then provide a link to that post and a secondary explanation - linking to this debate, providing a brief outline of the issues as I see them, and then asking for feedback either via the RMB or TG to myself. I'll then compile that feedback, and take it to the Assembly. If there's queries or questions I'll also address them to the best of my ability.

There will obviously be some implicit bias as it's impossible for any individual to divorce themselves from their own way of looking at things, but I will endeavour to be factually accurate. Unlike some people I don't view myself having and expressing an opinion as a negative thing; I was, after all, elected by regional WA members on the basis of such. So long as misleading or false information isn't presented, I think it is appropriate for a political representatives to act in such a manner.

You could also use Tsu's Dispatch about new WA Members, which has 1041 Reads in 31 Days, about 34 views a day on average.

The amount of views all depends on Who posts the dispatch, what type of communication is used to convey the new dispatch, and the level of interest people have on the topic related to the dispatch.

I've said it before, but you can't FORCE things on people who do not care about the subject, and that's what the telegrams will do if we continue to use them. The dispatches allow people who are actually interested to view the information, while the people who aren't interested don't have to be plagued with telegrams.

The LC has yet to use dispatches, so I don't see how you can argue that they are ineffective. Also, the LC has been using Telegrams, and we CAN argue that there are issues with them.

On the subject of including a link to the debate thread, I stand by my earlier post that explained the issue with it. The purpose of the LC is to bring the information TO the region. Including a link to the debate is forcing the people to come to the forum, when the whole purpose of the LC is to bridge that gap without them having to come to the forum.

But when I provide information - in the form of a short and factual summary of the issues - as well as the link, you object to that and accuse me of trying to mislead people, going so far as asking the Court if you could bring criminal charges against me.... you can't have it both ways.

I should also point out that that dispatch was promoted via a mass TG. I have no problem with using dispatches when appropriate, but I do not believe that they are an effective means of communicating in a short period of time. I could put the information I want to send in a TG in a dispatch instead, and then send out a TG about the dispatch... but that would be kinda redundant in my mind.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]

Messages In This Thread
PASSED: Regional Communications Act - by Tsunamy - 08-12-2016, 11:03 PM
RE: Proposal: Regional Communications Act - by Belschaft - 08-18-2016, 12:52 PM