We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

A non-ridiculous voting methodology for Delegate

The problem with this argument is that the Delegate election is not a multi-winner election - at the end of the process, there will be exactly one Delegate. It is a multi-stage election, where two separate groups of voters are balloted; legislators to reduce the number of candidates to two, and the regional WA members to decide the final winner.

The decision to use a modified version of IRV was intentional, with the objective of preventing what Glen wants to occur; those people who voted for the first ranked candidate also being involved in deciding who the second ranked candidate is. My thought process, and it's a simple one, is that if we are conducting a primary election to decide which two candidates are in the general election then the same group of voters shouldn't get to choose both candidates.

It seems, to my own view, a fundamentally obvious proposition that everyone should get the same number of votes. The fact that one of my preferred candidates, Tsu, is ranked first should not allow myself and everyone else who supports Tsu to now vote for another of our preferred candidates.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: A non-ridiculous voting methodology for Delegate - by Belschaft - 01-09-2017, 06:07 PM