We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

You Are Looking at the Right Person for the Job. (Bzerneleg for Chair 2019)

[Image: UpkhDOn.png]
A BOOK OF AIMS. A GROUND FOR ACTION.

THE ROLE OF THE CHAIR

People think of the Chair of the Assembly as an administrator, but for me, it’s more than that. The office of the Chair isn’t an Office of the Coalition for nothing. The position’s powers and responsibilities span wider than just checking a bill’s grammar or putting a bill to vote. It’s also about setting an example for Legislators. It’s about guiding the Assembly in reflecting on the past and making improvements for the future. It’s about inspiring members of this great Assembly to do great things and be a better version of themselves. It’s about telling Legislators where we’re at and what we can do on our part as the legislative branch to make things better for this region. That is my vision for the job and it is what I will do as Chair.

THE ASSEMBLY STIMULUS PACKAGE

This is a special package, which contains new projects and initiatives specifically designed for the Assembly. You may ask, why name it a stimulus package? That is because it has similar effects to a real economic stimulus package.  The Assembly Stimulus Package, or TAS-PACK, is aimed at improving the legislature’s performance and effectiveness by increasing activity and enthusiasm amongst Legislators. The package includes three initiatives:  

1. The Chair’s Fellow

One of the priorities that I have always made a part of my campaign is preparing and empowering TSP’s next generation of leaders. Legislators come and go, but only a few who are committed chose to stay. You know what hurts a Chair?

[Image: wWHiv7hWPXJ-eKr76f_CDx8WPdub2xQDSj2MHwXY...oN6ldUKO0Y] 

It’s by seeing things like this. I will not mention the name but this person applied to be a legislator a while ago. They were accepted but have not yet made contributions of any kind to the Assembly. *wipes tear*

Now, the question is how do we keep similar events from happening to a minimum. There are many solutions I’m ready to tell you about, and this is one of them. The Chair’s Fellow will give new Legislators a chance to serve in the Assembly Administration Team.

Not all new legislators get chosen though! Only active, aspiring ones whom the Chair deems qualified to be a Chair’s Fellow will get chosen. So young legislators are going to have to work hard to prove themselves. Legislators can also send a letter to the Chair on why they should be chosen! 

But Bzerneleg, the Chair’s Fellow isn’t that important anyway… 

What are you saying?!?!?! Not only do Fellows enjoy 1 month of serving in the Assembly Administration Team, they also get provided personalized mentoring from the Chair, plus they have the Chair and Deputy Chairs at their disposal when they need help! I don’t know about you, but that’s a great deal for me!

2. The Assembly Commendation Initiative

Giving out awards to legislators isn’t really a thing as many people consider it as an entry-level job. But legislators are people who are capable of making a difference and many have already made positive impacts. Some even spent their entire career in the Assembly and made outstanding legislative accomplishments. But such work and dedication often received little to no attention.

That is why I’m introducing the Assembly Commendation Initiative to recognize and honour legislators who have made a substantial or outstanding contribution to the betterment of the Assembly and the South Pacific. Awards include Legislator of the Month, Most Improved Legislator, Meme of the Month (see The Assembly Meme Gallery).

3. The Assembly’s Meme Gallery

Let’s be honest. Who doesn’t like great memes? Especially those that they can relate to. To add a little bit of humour and increase our legislators’ morale, I’ve decided to make the Meme Gallery a part of my campaign. Because we do things better when we actually enjoy it.

Members may send the Chair their memes, which they made by themselves and relate in some ways to the Assembly. Annually, we can have Meme of the Year award and the meme chosen gets inducted into the exclusive TSP Hall of Memes.   

A LEADER YOU CAN TRUST

As I’ve mentioned before, I view the Chair, not solely as the Chair’s librarian and administrator, but also as a leader. Candidates who ran for Chair in previous elections had not discussed a lot about what they will do as the head of the legislative branch. That changes now. 

If there's one thing I can promise you, it's this: I will not take a laid-back attitude towards this office. The Chair will become more involved in the day-to-day proceedings of the Assembly. Whether it be guiding the legislature towards finding solutions to the issues our region faces or talking to each Legislator on what do they think of their performance in the Assembly and how the Chair and the Legislator can work together to improve in the future. 

Although it is my position that the Chair should take a more active role, it MUST NOT and will not go as far as politicizing the position. The original intent of the office is that they be a fair and impartial overseer and supervisor of the Assembly. While the office may be adapted over time, its principal values shall not be lost.

A leader should not only be able to carry out necessary changes to the Assembly, but also be able to develop a vision for the future of this great institution and the people who work in it. Because change never happens from the top down. It takes place from the bottom up.

1. State of the Assembly bi-monthly (every two months) addresses

You've probably heard of it before. Trump's speech to Congress a few weeks ago? But minus all the politics and arguing. At the end of every month, it is a good time for the Chair to, along with Legislators, reflect on the past month and the good and bad times and set their eyes on the issues facing the Assembly and develop solutions to solve them.

To further strengthen the relationship between the Chair and Legislators, Legislators may deliver responses to the State of the Assembly, which may contain their opinion on the address and suggestions for a better Assembly in the future. Not only this is an opportunity for the Chair to develop stronger connections to each Legislator, it's also a chance for Legislators to play their part in shaping the Assembly's future.

2. Promoting Transparency in the Assembly

It's become known to all of us the recent pile of cases being filed in the High Court relating to several government members' misconduct. Whether they are found guilty, we do not know yet, but what we know is that it puts a stain on the reputation of the Assembly and the government of the South Pacific as a whole. As a government official, I am compelled to take responsibility to whatever that happened to the government. 

Therefore, in an effort to end corruption and promote freedom of information, I am introducing the Freedom of Information Initiative, which requires the Chair to disclose fully or partially certain files or documents (including private messages) upon request. Inspired in some ways by the Freedom of Information Act, it is aimed to strengthen South Pacificans' right to know and freedom of information.

However, there will be some exemptions in terms of which file or document cannot be disclosed due to issues with personal privacy or sensitivity. Those exemptions include:
  • matters not relating to the Chair's official works and practices;
  • personal and other similar files which in the case of disclosure, would violate one's right to privacy;
  • files authorized to be kept secret in the interest of regional security and confidentiality of certain government projects; and 
  • files that, once released, would pose a threat to one's life or physical safety.

GETTING THE ADMIN JOB DONE, AND MORE

Here's my opinion: You can be or do whatever you want, but if you don't get your administrative jobs done well, you're not a good Chair. Whether it's overseeing a debate or reorganize the Assembly forums, the job of the Chair is to ensure that things run smoothly and effectively. Below is my plan on how to get it done:

1. Continuing Amerion's Good Work

I know you all have seen the vote tally or the Assembly guides that Amerion made, I would be lying if I say wasn't jealous of his editing skills 'cause MY OH MY, THAT'S WONDERFUL! I do think that it would be in the best interests of this Assembly that we continue using his designs and templates, as well as keep on using the guides that he created and editing it when necessary. Amerion has established a lot of new initiatives, such as the Assembly Record, and those are the things that I believe we should continue using as they are all good threads. 

2. Renovating the Assembly Archives

I have recently made reorganizing the Assembly forum and archives a priority after sponsoring an amendment to the Legislative Procedure Act, which created mechanisms for dealing with inactive and defunct threads in the Assembly. However, the Assembly archives are still unorganized, as the Chair and Deputy Chairs were not given moderation powers over the Assembly archives, therefore not being able to create changes to it. 

I propose that the Assembly Administration Team be given moderation powers over the Assembly archives, in order to make necessary changes as part of the reorganization plan. Normal Threads will be sorted into the following categories: Proposals, Discussions, Voting Chamber (already existing).

A NO NEGATIVE CAMPAIGNING PLEDGE

As a candidate running for an elected office, it is important that I realize the impacts or effects I may make as a result of my actions relating to my campaign. Which is why I am taking action to play my part in ensuring a transparent and fully democratic election. I am making a pledge to not deliberately spreading negative information about other candidates in this election for any political purposes. By doing this, I hope that there would be more fruitful debates and discussions and people would be able to engage in them in a more frank and productive manner.

RESOURCES

Announcement Speech

Bzerneleg's Forum Website
[-] The following 8 users Like Bzerneleg's post:
  • Amerion, Divine Owl, Nakari, Poppy, Roavin, Seraph, USoVietnam, Witchcraft and Sorcery

Messages In This Thread
RE: You Are Looking at the Right Person for the Job. (Bzerneleg for Chair 2019) - by Bzerneleg - 02-27-2019, 09:00 AM