We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

You Are Looking at the Right Person for the Job. (Bzerneleg for Chair 2019)

[Image: lniX8hg.gif]

PLATFORM

I
I
V

[Image: UpkhDOn.png]
A BOOK OF AIMS. A GROUND FOR ACTION.

THE ROLE OF THE CHAIR

People think of the Chair of the Assembly as an administrator, but for me, it’s more than that. The office of the Chair isn’t an Office of the Coalition for nothing. The position’s powers and responsibilities span wider than just checking a bill’s grammar or putting a bill to vote. It’s also about setting an example for Legislators. It’s about guiding the Assembly in reflecting on the past and making improvements for the future. It’s about inspiring members of this great Assembly to do great things and be a better version of themselves. It’s about telling Legislators where we’re at and what we can do on our part as the legislative branch to make things better for this region. That is my vision for the job and it is what I will do as Chair.

THE ASSEMBLY STIMULUS PACKAGE

This is a special package, which contains new projects and initiatives specifically designed for the Assembly. You may ask, why name it a stimulus package? That is because it has similar effects to a real economic stimulus package.  The Assembly Stimulus Package, or TAS-PACK, is aimed at improving the legislature’s performance and effectiveness by increasing activity and enthusiasm amongst Legislators. The package includes three initiatives:  

1. The Chair’s Fellow

One of the priorities that I have always made a part of my campaign is preparing and empowering TSP’s next generation of leaders. Legislators come and go, but only a few who are committed chose to stay. You know what hurts a Chair?

[Image: wWHiv7hWPXJ-eKr76f_CDx8WPdub2xQDSj2MHwXY...oN6ldUKO0Y] 

It’s by seeing things like this. I will not mention the name but this person applied to be a legislator a while ago. They were accepted but have not yet made contributions of any kind to the Assembly. *wipes tear*

Now, the question is how do we keep similar events from happening to a minimum. There are many solutions I’m ready to tell you about, and this is one of them. The Chair’s Fellow will give new Legislators a chance to serve in the Assembly Administration Team.

Not all new legislators get chosen though! Only active, aspiring ones whom the Chair deems qualified to be a Chair’s Fellow will get chosen. So young legislators are going to have to work hard to prove themselves. Legislators can also send a letter to the Chair on why they should be chosen! 

But Bzerneleg, the Chair’s Fellow isn’t that important anyway… 

What are you saying?!?!?! Not only do Fellows enjoy 1 month of serving in the Assembly Administration Team, they also get provided personalized mentoring from the Chair, plus they have the Chair and Deputy Chairs at their disposal when they need help! I don’t know about you, but that’s a great deal for me!

2. The Assembly Commendation Initiative

Giving out awards to legislators isn’t really a thing as many people consider it as an entry-level job. But legislators are people who are capable of making a difference and many have already made positive impacts. Some even spent their entire career in the Assembly and made outstanding legislative accomplishments. But such work and dedication often received little to no attention.

That is why I’m introducing the Assembly Commendation Initiative to recognize and honour legislators who have made a substantial or outstanding contribution to the betterment of the Assembly and the South Pacific. Awards include Legislator of the Month, Most Improved Legislator, Meme of the Month (see The Assembly Meme Gallery).

3. The Assembly’s Meme Gallery

Let’s be honest. Who doesn’t like great memes? Especially those that they can relate to. To add a little bit of humour and increase our legislators’ morale, I’ve decided to make the Meme Gallery a part of my campaign. Because we do things better when we actually enjoy it.

Members may send the Chair their memes, which they made by themselves and relate in some ways to the Assembly. Annually, we can have Meme of the Year award and the meme chosen gets inducted into the exclusive TSP Hall of Memes.   

A LEADER YOU CAN TRUST

As I’ve mentioned before, I view the Chair, not solely as the Chair’s librarian and administrator, but also as a leader. Candidates who ran for Chair in previous elections had not discussed a lot about what they will do as the head of the legislative branch. That changes now. 

If there's one thing I can promise you, it's this: I will not take a laid-back attitude towards this office. The Chair will become more involved in the day-to-day proceedings of the Assembly. Whether it be guiding the legislature towards finding solutions to the issues our region faces or talking to each Legislator on what do they think of their performance in the Assembly and how the Chair and the Legislator can work together to improve in the future. 

Although it is my position that the Chair should take a more active role, it MUST NOT and will not go as far as politicizing the position. The original intent of the office is that they be a fair and impartial overseer and supervisor of the Assembly. While the office may be adapted over time, its principal values shall not be lost.

A leader should not only be able to carry out necessary changes to the Assembly, but also be able to develop a vision for the future of this great institution and the people who work in it. Because change never happens from the top down. It takes place from the bottom up.

1. State of the Assembly bi-monthly (every two months) addresses

You've probably heard of it before. Trump's speech to Congress a few weeks ago? But minus all the politics and arguing. At the end of every month, it is a good time for the Chair to, along with Legislators, reflect on the past month and the good and bad times and set their eyes on the issues facing the Assembly and develop solutions to solve them.

To further strengthen the relationship between the Chair and Legislators, Legislators may deliver responses to the State of the Assembly, which may contain their opinion on the address and suggestions for a better Assembly in the future. Not only this is an opportunity for the Chair to develop stronger connections to each Legislator, it's also a chance for Legislators to play their part in shaping the Assembly's future.

2. Promoting Transparency in the Assembly

It's become known to all of us the recent pile of cases being filed in the High Court relating to several government members' misconduct. Whether they are found guilty, we do not know yet, but what we know is that it puts a stain on the reputation of the Assembly and the government of the South Pacific as a whole. As a government official, I am compelled to take responsibility to whatever that happened to the government. 

Therefore, in an effort to end corruption and promote freedom of information, I am introducing the Freedom of Information Initiative, which requires the Chair to disclose fully or partially certain files or documents (including private messages) upon request. Inspired in some ways by the Freedom of Information Act, it is aimed to strengthen South Pacificans' right to know and freedom of information.

However, there will be some exemptions in terms of which file or document cannot be disclosed due to issues with personal privacy or sensitivity. Those exemptions include:
  • matters not relating to the Chair's official works and practices;
  • personal and other similar files which in the case of disclosure, would violate one's right to privacy;
  • files authorized to be kept secret in the interest of regional security and confidentiality of certain government projects; and 
  • files that, once released, would pose a threat to one's life or physical safety.

GETTING THE ADMIN JOB DONE, AND MORE

Here's my opinion: You can be or do whatever you want, but if you don't get your administrative jobs done well, you're not a good Chair. Whether it's overseeing a debate or reorganize the Assembly forums, the job of the Chair is to ensure that things run smoothly and effectively. Below is my plan on how to get it done:

1. Continuing Amerion's Good Work

I know you all have seen the vote tally or the Assembly guides that Amerion made, I would be lying if I say wasn't jealous of his editing skills 'cause MY OH MY, THAT'S WONDERFUL! I do think that it would be in the best interests of this Assembly that we continue using his designs and templates, as well as keep on using the guides that he created and editing it when necessary. Amerion has established a lot of new initiatives, such as the Assembly Record, and those are the things that I believe we should continue using as they are all good threads. 

2. Renovating the Assembly Archives

I have recently made reorganizing the Assembly forum and archives a priority after sponsoring an amendment to the Legislative Procedure Act, which created mechanisms for dealing with inactive and defunct threads in the Assembly. However, the Assembly archives are still unorganized, as the Chair and Deputy Chairs were not given moderation powers over the Assembly archives, therefore not being able to create changes to it. 

I propose that the Assembly Administration Team be given moderation powers over the Assembly archives, in order to make necessary changes as part of the reorganization plan. Normal Threads will be sorted into the following categories: Proposals, Discussions, Voting Chamber (already existing).

A NO NEGATIVE CAMPAIGNING PLEDGE

As a candidate running for an elected office, it is important that I realize the impacts or effects I may make as a result of my actions relating to my campaign. Which is why I am taking action to play my part in ensuring a transparent and fully democratic election. I am making a pledge to not deliberately spreading negative information about other candidates in this election for any political purposes. By doing this, I hope that there would be more fruitful debates and discussions and people would be able to engage in them in a more frank and productive manner.

RESOURCES

Announcement Speech

Bzerneleg's Forum Website
[-] The following 8 users Like Bzerneleg's post:
  • Amerion, Divine Owl, Nakari, Poppy, Roavin, Seraph, USoVietnam, Witchcraft and Sorcery

Fantastic campaign, seriously.

Regarding the Chair's Fellow, how do get a newbie active enough initially to serve as such a Fellow? Or is it rather that you want to see a new person display a certain level activity first?

Regarding renovating the archive, would you be willing to perform that work as part of a community project, where we come together to discuss the specifics first?

Regarding campaigning, do you intend to campaign directly to individual legislators?
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]
[-] The following 2 users Like Roavin's post:
  • Bzerneleg, Poppy

(02-27-2019, 09:41 AM)Roavin Wrote: Fantastic campaign, seriously.

Regarding the Chair's Fellow, how do get a newbie active enough initially to serve as such a Fellow? Or is it rather that you want to see a new person display a certain level activity first?

Regarding renovating the archive, would you be willing to perform that work as part of a community project, where we come together to discuss the specifics first?

Regarding campaigning, do you intend to campaign directly to individual legislators?

1. I would first see a new person display a substantial amount of activity first. It doesn't have to be a lot. But something of importance that would distinguish them from other new players who have not yet participated in the lawmaking process.

2. Regarding archive renovation, it would certainly be a great idea for legislators to discuss and work together on formulating a detailed reorganization plan. Two brains are always better than one!

3. I do not plan on DM campaigning this election. I believe if they like my platform and believe that I have the ability to carry out the things I promise, they'd be with me. If not, I would try my best to have a thoughtful discussion with everyone in a public setting, in a way that does not involve taking advantage of my position to forge deals behind closed doors or getting people to unwillingly vote for me. That does not reflect who I am and my vision for the office.
[Image: VCUpXJI.png1]

BZERNELEG 

South Pacifican. Public Servant. Creator. In that order.

Official Thread • Lampshade Broadcasting Company • The Tsunamy Institution of the Law and Public Policy

[-] The following 3 users Like Bzerneleg's post:
  • Poppy, Rebeltopia, Roavin

No joke when I first saw this and it was just the cool animated vote for bzern banner I thought, at the time, that it was your whole campaign, now I feel really stupid :p

I'm glad there was more, a lot more as is the case, and I really like your campaign but I have a question if you wouldn't mind.

During the Chair's fellow section of the assembly stimulus package you introduce the role of the chair's fellow as an answer to new legislators not making contributions to the assembly and being inactive. While I do really love the idea of the chair's fellow and the opportunities it provides, I do think it's worth noting that, at least to me, it doesn't really seem like an answer to the lack of activity and motivation that new legislators might have that lead them to not contribute to the assembly. It seems more aimed at new legislators who are already active and wish for a great way to get experience in a governmental role of some kind.

This being said I'll actually get to my question. You also mentioned that you had other ideas for solutions to the problem of lack of activity in new legislators and I would be interested to hear what other ideas those might be, seeing as I think the chair's fellow idea is more of a solution to a different problem, even if it's a great idea. I'm mainly interested because integration seems to be one of the most elusive problems to tackle, because humans are endlessly confusing and there's no sure way to get them interested in something. I don't think you even have to have a solution to this, your campaign is great anyway, I'm just interested, what other ideas to solve this might you have?
Nation: 073 039 109 032 080 111 112 112 121
I'm more active gameside than here but either place I'd love to talk ^-^
[-] The following 4 users Like Poppy's post:
  • Amerion, Bzerneleg, Rebeltopia, Seraph

(02-28-2019, 11:00 PM)Poppy Wrote: No joke when I first saw this and it was just the cool animated vote for bzern banner I thought, at the time, that it was your whole campaign, now I feel really stupid :p

I'm glad there was more, a lot more as is the case, and I really like your campaign but I have a question if you wouldn't mind.

During the Chair's fellow section of the assembly stimulus package you introduce the role of the chair's fellow as an answer to new legislators not making contributions to the assembly and being inactive. While I do really love the idea of the chair's fellow and the opportunities it provides, I do think it's worth noting that, at least to me, it doesn't really seem like an answer to the lack of activity and motivation that new legislators might have that lead them to not contribute to the assembly. It seems more aimed at new legislators who are already active and wish for a great way to get experience in a governmental role of some kind.

This being said I'll actually get to my question. You also mentioned that you had other ideas for solutions to the problem of lack of activity in new legislators and I would be interested to hear what other ideas those might be, seeing as I think the chair's fellow idea is more of a solution to a different problem, even if it's a great idea. I'm mainly interested because integration seems to be one of the most elusive problems to tackle, because humans are endlessly confusing and there's no sure way to get them interested in something. I don't think you even have to have a solution to this, your campaign is great anyway, I'm just interested, what other ideas to solve this might you have?

Thank you for your questions on the Chair's Fellow program and those regarding integration of new members. I would like to emphasize the fact that since my entry into regional politics, one of my top priorities was and will always be making us a place which welcomes new members and preparing the next generation of leaders of The South Pacific. You may or may not know that I ran in the Chair election in April last year on the same platform for the integration of new members into our community. Though I have been able to develop more original and new ideas and visions for the office and this legislature, which was based from what I've learned and experienced in this region for the past 2 years, one thing that will always be there in any of my platforms is how do we help the new people who come in to become true citizens of TSP.

Believe it or not, young people play an important part in this region. It is the reason why democracy worked so well here and not so for other regions. Why? Every week, every month, there is increasing participation in our government and in our democracy. That is what keeps this great machine running. Just like how you need to change oil in your car after a few thousand miles or how your body produces millions of red blood cells every second to keep your body going, the younger generation is needed to provide enthusiasm and change and bring back light to a place long overshadowed by darkness.

While The Chair's Fellow program does not tackle the issue of integration and inactivity amongst new members, it can definitely be used as a big stepping stone for young, aspiring Legislators to gather more experience and knowledge to move further in their careers in TSP. Which is what you mentioned in your post and I completely agree with you on that.

But if you take a look closely at the introduction for the A Leader You Can Trust section, there are parts that suggest or hint the things I will do as Chair to solve the issue aforementioned:

Quote:"Whether it be guiding the legislature towards finding solutions to the issues our region faces or talking to each Legislator on what do they think of their performance in the Assembly and how the Chair and the Legislator can work together to improve in the future."

- 3rd sentence, 2nd paragraph 

---

"A leader should not only be able to carry out necessary changes to the Assembly, but also be able to develop a vision for the future of this great institution and the people who work in it. Because change never happens from the top down. It takes place from the bottom up."

- 4th paragraph

What I always love about people is getting to know them personally and getting to form tight and good relationships with each individual. Because when you truly understand someone and are able to spot their strengths and weaknesses, you are then capable of making personalized comments and advices which will suit to them more, rather than just posting a one-size-fits-all advice onto the forums. Personally, I don't mind the pings and PMs I may get as a result of such initiative and the huge amount of work that I will have to put into the Assembly, I enjoy doing it, and that's all that matters.

The Chair isn't the cover teacher who supervises you during a test, they're the teacher who teaches you and give advices on how to ace that test in a way that you understand. The Chair isn't the spectator at a basketball game who yells at you and puts the blame on you after you miss your shot, they're the coach who gives you a pat in the back, who wakes up early in the morning and walk to the front door of your house, and they would run with you to the court to help you practice and develop your skills and more importantly, your character.

If you feel like I haven't answered your question in its entirety or would like to ask more questions, please don't hesitate to do so! Your participation in our democratic process is always appreciated and needed.

BZERNELEG 

Official Thread • Lampshade Broadcasting Company • The Tsunamy Institution of the Law and Public Policy

[-] The following 2 users Like Bzerneleg's post:
  • Poppy, Roavin

What specific actions will you take to encourage uninterested legislators?

What do you see as the role of Deputy Chairs?
[-] The following 4 users Like Nakari's post:
  • Bzerneleg, Poppy, Rebeltopia, Roavin

What if I'm not looking for leadership, courage, and experience?
how am i even still a legislator at this point...?
[-] The following 2 users Like New Haudenosaunee Confederacy's post:
  • Poppy, Ryccia

Do you have any plans to sponsor legislation to address the poor regulation of the lampshade and SPIT industries?

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System
[-] The following 5 users Like Kris Kringle's post:
  • Bzerneleg, Imperial Frost Federation, New Haudenosaunee Confederacy, Poppy, Ryccia

(03-01-2019, 03:49 PM)New Haudenosaunee Confederacy Wrote: What if I'm not looking for leadership, courage, and experience?

Then I don't think you're looking at the right person for the job.

BZERNELEG 

[-] The following 2 users Like Bzerneleg's post:
  • New Haudenosaunee Confederacy, The Sakhalinsk Empire