We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Bzerneleg: An Assembly That Works. Together.

Hello everyone!

First of all, I would like to thank our Delegate Seraph (Erinor) for nominating me.

Well, I started off as a newbie in this game, I was a member of The North Pacific, then I joined The South Pacific just out of boredom, and I fell in love with the region ever since. I felt very lucky to be in this region with all these great people who have welcomed me with open arms, taught me a lot of things about the region and helped me become a productive citizen of The South Pacific.

When I became a legislator, I was not aware of the rules and laws of this region, and no one was there to help a new legislator like me. No legislator who's new to his job should go through this. That's why I am committed to ensure the proper functioning of this region and an Assembly that works for all of us, and with your help and support, we can together bring real change to the Assembly. Below is my detailed agenda to build an Assembly that works. Together.

Bzerneleg's Agenda for the Assembly: An Agenda for Change

An Assembly Welcoming to New Members

I myself was a legislator new to the Assembly who knew nothing about legislative procedures and was not quite engaged in debates. I, and I know some legislators have this issue as well, are not aware about the laws of this region and do not engage in debates. That's one of the reasons why many legislators are inactive and are not engaged in the lawmaking process of the Assembly. Here's what I will do as Chair of the Assembly on how to solve this issue and fully integrate new legislators into the Assembly:
  • Cooperate with the Legislator Committee to, upon the acceptance of a legislator application, inform the new legislator all the information necessary for the proper functioning of his or her office, including but not limited to: the MATT-DUCK Law Index, information on how to debate and vote on bills and bill tags, infographics on the bill passage processetc.
  • Notify all legislators of debates and votes that are currently occuring, as well as the order of business and the voting result of bills.
  • Establish a calendar in the 'Assembly of the South Pacific' forum with the agenda of the Assembly in order to make sure that legislators are fully aware of the agenda for each sitting day. I believe this will make sure that legislators won't miss votes and are more engaged in the lawmaking process of the Assembly.
An Organized Assembly Forum

As you enter the Assembly forum, you would notice threads that are not placed in forums that they're supposed to be in, and you would probably still have to open a few tabs before reaching the MATT-DUCK Law Index. I'll be really honest, the organization of the Assembly forum has improved a lot throughout history, and I mean A LOT! However, we can still do better. That's why I've come up with the following proposals that I will achieve if I'm elected:
  • Continue the bill tagging system because I think it is a very efficient system of tagging our bills so that legislators are aware of the status of legislation.
  • Implement a bill tracker system as well as putting the name of the bill sponsor like how the Congress website does it, however it will be adapted for use in The South Pacific. ex: Introduced > In Debate > Motioned to Vote > Seconded > At Vote > Passed/Failed > Became Law
  • Document actions made by the Assembly on bills and the day in which it happens. Click the link for more details: https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-cong...ctions?r=2
Faithfully Execute the Powers and Duties of the Chair of the Assembly

As a candidate for CoA, I do solemnly swear that if I'm elected, I will truly and faithfully execute the powers and duties reposed in me as Chair of the Assembly. I might not be one of the greatest CoAs ever, but I will strive to execute the powers and duties of my office to the best of my ability every day. Here's what I will do to best execute my powers and duties:
  • Prevent delays from happening by cooperating with my deputies to execute the powers and duties of my office, check and edit the bill status, change the format of the bill draft in accordance to the Law Standards Act, etc.
  • In the case of the absence of the Chair (me) for any reason whatsoever (the reason shall be appropriate), I will swiftly delegate my powers and duties to my deputies who will execute the powers and duties of the Chair during my absence. I believe it will prevent any delay and ensure the proper functioning of the Assembly in the case of my absence. I shall also send a PM to legislators notifying them of my absence along with an appropriate reason.
  • Restore order in the Assembly if the debate is getting out of order, legislators making personal attacks, and other reason that cause the Assembly to be out of order.
Increasing Transparency in the Assembly and Preventing Conflicts of Interest

There is currently no way to check if a legislator collided with another region for their own benefit which is a violation of the Criminal Code. It is a worrying issue and something that we must prevent before it's too late. So, here are my proposals on how to tackle this issue:
  • Implement regular comprehensive conflict of interest disclosures for legislators to prevent crimes committed against the Coalition.
  • Require Assembly approval before legislators can accept any gift, office, or title from foreign States and regions.

Subscribe to this thread for more details and updates! If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask me. I am open for suggestions and comments, whatever it may be!

I hope my detailed agenda for the Assembly has convinced you to vote BZERNELEG for the Chair election! 

An Assembly that Works. Together.
Paid for by Bzerneleg for Chair 2018.

I can agree with the Assemby needing to be reorganized and cleaned up. I'm very new to the Legislature so I can agree with your statement. Activity seems to be an issue and they don't seem to reach out for advice or help. Overall it was a good read.
The South Crystal
Serving as a voice in the Legislature since April 2018!

This is a very, very impressive campaign for such a new legislator and first-time candidate. Even if you don't win, I hope you keep engaged in this way and am excited to see what you bring to the table in the future.
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]

(04-18-2018, 11:33 AM)Roavin Wrote: This is a very, very impressive campaign for such a new legislator and first-time candidate. Even if you don't win, I hope you keep engaged in this way and am excited to see what you bring to the table in the future.

Thank you so much Roavin. I've been waiting for so long just to start this campaign, and I will make it and hope that it's going to be a successful campaign. We have different candidates for this position, but all of us have one common goal, which is to build an Assembly that works. Together. Even if I don't manage to win, I really hope that my campaign will nevertheless bring bold, real changes to the Assembly. I hope my agenda for the Assembly has convinced you to put trust on me to bring real change to this legislature!

(04-18-2018, 10:52 AM)The North Crystal Wrote: I can agree with the Assemby needing to be reorganized and cleaned up. I'm very new to the Legislature so I can agree with your statement. Activity seems to be an issue and they don't seem to reach out for advice or help. Overall it was a good read.

Hi there The North Crystal!

Thank you for constructive comments! There's one thing that I would want to say to you is that I can really empathize with you on this. You know, approximately 2 or 3 months ago, I applied to become a legislator. And all I receive was a private message from the Legislator Committee saying that my application was accepted. And that was it! The Committee and the Chair of the Assembly which was, to the best of my recollection, Nakari, did not provide new legislators like me and you sufficient information on the Assembly, its laws, procedures, voting and debating rules, etc. So I really think that it's a big issue that we've got to solve, and it's something that I will change once elected!

Hello everyone!

If you have any suggestion or idea that you want to add to my Agenda for the Assembly: An Agenda for Change, please do not hesitate to post your suggestions and ideas!

Your suggestions and ideas will help my Agenda for the Assembly even better! And I might even change it's name to Bzerneleg and the People's Agenda for the Assembly!

The agenda is dedicated to the Assembly with its purpose to build an Assembly that works. Together. Your contribution would help bring real change to this Assembly!

Thank you. And also, don't forget if you have any question, you are more than welcome to ask and subscribe to this thread for more updates on the campaign!

An Assembly that Works. Together.
Paid for by Bzerneleg for Chair 2018.

My question is would you be open to maybe establishing committees here in the legislature to be responsible for a certain area or task? This could be a great way to give legislature members some responsibility, along with a purpose to be active.
The South Crystal
Serving as a voice in the Legislature since April 2018!

(04-18-2018, 02:25 PM)The North Crystal Wrote: My question is would you be open to maybe establishing committees here in the legislature to be responsible for a certain area or task? This could be a great way to give legislature members some responsibility, along with a purpose to be active.

Thank you The North Crystal for your question!

I would be of course open to establish committees in the Assembly when a majority of legislators shall deem it necessary. This Assembly, with only 40-50 legislators, definitely won't have a lot of committees but some main ones would be good. For example, Foreign Affairs, Judiciary, Armed Services, Ethics & Rules, Homeland Security, etc.

I personally believe it is going to improve the quality of bills and those bills will have to go through better consideration from the committee it is subjected to and the whole Assembly. Of course every legislator has the power to introduce whatever bill they want, but it shall be subject to consideration and debate in the committee it is subjected to and the Assembly as a whole.

Like the US Legislative Process: https://www.house.gov/the-house-explaine...ve-process
It has to go through the committee before it proceeds to the House floor.

I believe that committee membership enables members to develop specialized knowledge of the matters under their jurisdiction. The Assembly committees monitor ongoing governmental operations, identify issues suitable for legislative review, gather and evaluate information, and recommend courses of action to their parent body.

As Woodrow Wilson once said, "it is not far from the truth to say that Congress in session is Congress on public exhibition, whilst Congress in its committee rooms is Congress at work." It is neither expected nor possible that a legislator be an expert on all matters and subject areas that come before the Assembly. Therefore, I do think we need some main committees to enhance the functioning of the Assembly.

For your conflict of interests idea, do you have a draft bill or a clearer idea of what it would look like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(04-19-2018, 07:48 AM)sandaoguo Wrote: For your conflict of interests idea, do you have a draft bill or a clearer idea of what it would look like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you Sandaoguo for your question!

I will in the near future introduce a bill regarding enforcement of compulsory regular CoI disclosures, probably once per month. The CoI disclosure would be, I believe, much more different and detailed than the ones we're having right now to prevent any wrongdoing and high crimes and misdemanours committed by legislators. I would also make a bill on the criminalization of knowingly and willfully making false or fraudulent statements, or concealing information, in any matter within the jurisdiction of the government of TSP.

An example of my proposed CoI disclosure form would be:

Legislative Branch Personnel
Conflict of Interest Disclosure Report

Filer's Information

[NATION]
Legislator

Other names used:

Other Government Positions Held During the Preceding 12 Months:
[...]

Electronic Signature - I, [NATION], certify that the statements I have made in this form are true, complete and correct to the best of my knowledge.

Assembly Chair's Opinion - On the basis of information contained in this report, I conclude that the filer is in compliance with applicable laws and regulations (subject to any comments below).

1. Filer's Positions Held Outside The South Pacific Government

Organization name:
Organization type:
Position held:
To:

2. Past Regions
[...]

3. Foreign Government Contacts

Have you in the last 12 months had any contact with a foreign government (outside TSP), its establishment (such as embassy, consulate, agency, military/intelligence/security service, etc.)? [Yes/No] If yes, provide details on those contacts.

Have you held any political office in any other region? [Yes/No] If yes, provide positions held, its duration, and reasons for these activities.

I would continue to develop a final detailed and done CoI disclosure form to hold all legislators accountable for their actions. Have I completely answered your question?