We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Legal Question: Recall Discussion

The question I would like to ask the remaining Justice is, as follows:

Given this clause of the Code of Laws,

2. Discussions on a recall motion will occur for at least three days.

Does the following clause of the Code of Laws require that recall votes cannot occur without three days of discussion first? Or would it be possible for a discussion on a recall remain open for at least three days, simultaneously with a recall vote? 

In light of the current circumstances, I will answer the question once Chief Justice Belschaft and Justice God-Emporer respectfully recuse themselves.
United States of Kalukmangala

Former High Court Justice

Generally those discussions are held in private, but obvious recusal (?) is obvious.
The Third Imperium
Journalist, South Pacific Independent News Network (SPINN)

Provost, Magisterium
Sergeant, East Pacific Sovereign Army
Journalist, East Pacific News Service

Foreign Affairs Minister, The West Pacific

Indeed. There's a fairly clear CoI here.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]

(10-21-2014, 05:32 PM)God-Emperor Wrote: Generally those discussions are held in private, but obvious recusal (?) is obvious.

I apologize. 

I will begin work on answering this legal question. 

HCLQ1406
- 23.10.14-

Petitioner
Unibot

Presiding Justice
Gustave Berr

Associate Justices
Belschaft (recused), God-Emporer (recused)

”Given this clause of the Code of Laws,

2. Discussions on a recall motion will occur for at least three days.

Does the following clause of the Code of Laws require that recall votes cannot occur without three days of discussion first? Or would it be possible for a discussion on a recall remain open for at least three days, simultaneously with a recall vote? "

The High Court, after considering the question submitted to it by Unibot regarding recall procedures, has reached the decision that recall motions must be discussed for at least three days before being placed to a vote. The recall of any elected official is a matter of the utmost seriousness and shouldn't be taken lightly or hastily handled, regardless of the circumstances. There must be an opportunity for any and all interested parties to participate in the discussion, as well as ample time for the elected official to give any rebuttal to the motion. If discussions and a vote were occurring simultaneously, the discussions could be considered moot as there would have not been ample time to discuss the motion, itself, prior to the vote.

Thank you, Justice Berr for your swift and fair response.

A reasoned and well balanced response. I thank the Justice for his performance during these circumstances.
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

I am lucky to serve the great people of this great region.