We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Resident Spotlight: TAC

TAC is a citizen, and one of the most promising newcomers in the region. He first came to NationStates on 21 April 2013, going from region to region for the most part of that years. This year he joined the South Pacific he has been constantly active in the Assembly, and has contributed to the promotion of balanced and civilised debate in it. He has graciously agreed to be interviewed as the first participant of our new and reformed Resident Spotlight, the celebrated series of interviews to residents of the South Pacific, founded by Escade when she was the Minister of Regional Affairs.

Kringle: Hi TAC! Welcome to the Interview Hall.

TAC: Hi Kris. I have to say, I didn't expect to be interviewed. Mostly because I hold no government positions or have made zero impact in the NS world despite playing for over a year.

Kringle: Well, you are one of our most active newcomers. We figured it was time to find out a bit more about you. First of all I wanted to discuss a bit about how you came to NationStates. The usual story is that the person was looking for nation simulation games, and NS looked interesting. Was that your story as well?

TAC: I never looked for anything of the sort. My brother Church of Satan just showed it to me out of the blue. I tinkered with what little I had to work with and never really stopped.

Kringle: But what did you find most interesting? The idea of managing a nation? The politics? Just having a good time?

TAC: Well, when it said I could run a nation my own way I thought "how can this turn out?"

Kringle: This does sound like the usual story then. I mainly had the same motivation, but just managing your nation does get a bit dull in the end. Unless you explore other aspects of NS, of course.

TAC: I fully expected things to go my way, but it was too limited to go the way I wanted it. Mostly, it focuses on either extreme with little to no middle ground.

Kringle: Oh yes. But that's the idea. NS is supposed to be about the extremes.

TAC: Yeah, but I like to think things I had in mind would be more extreme than they could expect. I find the idea that only using solutions that have been suggested to be dull.

Kringle: Was The Agnostic Collective created in TSP?

TAC: No, honestly I can't remember where it started. As soon as I started, I moved to the region NationStates and stuck around for a few weeks.

Kringle: This is interesting then. What made you come to TSP?

TAC: Well, for a while I moved from region to region, leaving when things slowed down. Then I asked CoS if he had anything in TSP. When he said no, I jumped at the opportunity.

Kringle: But many people come to TSP. What was it that made you stay, and actually be active?

TAC: It was my chance to be a part of a region, which, until recently was entirely new to me. I don't care much for RP, which is why I'm so active in the Halls of the Assembly.

THE ASSEMBLY

Kringle: You actually brought up a topic I wanted to discuss a bit later, but let's do it now. The Assembly is often seen as the most dysfunctional part of our government, because of the perception that everyone just fights in there. How come you are so active there? You don't see many newcomers confident enough to just participate as eagerly as you do.

TAC: Well, despite having absolutely no experience, it isn't really necessary. I simply apply my own logic to the situation. I also try to keep things simple to avoid long unnecessary posts, unlike Bel, Raven and Uni. Being able to contribute to the region in such a way is why I keep going.

Kringle: Yeah, what do you think when you see everyone else arguing? What impression do you get from them? I often see people avoiding the Assembly for that reason, but I like to think that is precisely why more people should weigh in: to make the Assembly more civilised.

TAC: Well, most of them remind me much of Cormac. As soon as someone disagrees they flip out and that anger gives birth to poor attitudes and irrationality. Unibot and you seem to be the only exceptions. Which is strange given what people tell me about Uni.

Kringle: Yeah, Unibot does have a reputation.

TAC: I like to think they paint an image of him based solely on the arguments and negativity they experience, [but] he keeps things civil, and that’s what I like about him.

Kringle: We've mentioned how you are active in the Assembly. Have you ever considered joining the executive, or the judiciary?

TAC: Many times, but I feel that many don't think much of me because of my lack of experience and those I have to contend with. I never really cared to run for any positions, but I wouldn't mind. I enjoy the new experiences that come with such positions.

Kringle: Any specific field you had in mind?

TAC: I've always thought I would make a good MoRA or MoFA. I feel that most of NS's RA and FA members often are unable to put there ego aside. Though, there are some exceptions. As for myself, I don't like to argue with people and often try to avoid confrontation. It seems so unimportant to me.

Kringle: What seems so unimportant?

TAC: I'm not sure if anyone ever noticed, but lately, during my participation in The Assembly, I try to make points to both sides. But, they get so stubborn they can't look at things from an objective point of view.

Kringle: The problem is the Independence debate has a history in TSP. The last time we tried, the thread ended up with 18 pages. Besides, people do have a preconception about who wants to advocate what.

TAC: I stopped participating in that thread because it's so frivolous and pointless.

Z-DAY

Kringle: You have already been here for both Z-Days. Anything you expect for the next one?

TAC: Well, As for my nation, I expect my population to plummet with great speed, but I was thinking of putting my efforts towards keeping TSP at the top of the survivor list. The first Z-Day for TSP was horrible.

Kringle: Yeah. We didn't have missiles back then. It did improve a bit for the second one.

TAC: I tried to find TSP, but the list only goes for the top 100. The improvement for the second Z-Day was outstanding. I find the concept for Z-Day to have a major flaw though.

Kringle: Really?  Which is that?

TAC: Most nations in TSP are inactive despite the population reaching in the thousands. This makes them easy targets and gives a heavy advantage for the pro-zombie nations. If I could change one thing, I would make Z-Day an optional event which would require them to pass legislation on the issue that comes with it before they can participate.

Kringle: Well, there is also the fact that few people would choose to get the infection.

TAC: Yes, but the Infection continues at a passive rate. No one "chooses" to get the infection. Everyone starts out with it. That's another major flaw. As commonly seen on the polls, though there are over four thousand nations, only about 100 actually participate.

Kringle: Participation is one of the most difficult things to get. We are sometimes told that the number of citizens is disproportionate to the number of nations in the region. But that ignores the fact that most of those are puppets. Or nations that just want to be left alone.

TAC: Exactly. If they nuked the puppets, the Nation States population would probably number around two thousand.

Kringle: Well, this interview is now quite extensive, so I'll start wrapping it up. Any final comments?

TAC: Yeah, I think I might actually have a run at the next elections.

Kringle: Oh, that's good! Here goes a bonus question: Cake or Pie?

TAC: Pie, because Cheese Cake unites them.

Kringle: The blasphemy!

TAC: Well, I'm agnostic so...

Kringle: Heh. Thanks a lot for agreeing to this interview. I really had a great time, and best of luck with your future campaign. Smile

TAC: It was nice actually having a conversation with someone rather than ranting on the forum. I look forward to any future endeavours.

Interviewer: Kris Montresor, Delegate of the South Pacific
Interviewee: TAC, Citizen
Date of the Interview: 18 October 2014

Note: this Resident Spotlight has been edited from its original version. There have been several portions not included in this final version and there have been other edits in terms of grammar and ortography.
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

'Ocrober' o.o

I have no idea what you are talking about. >.>
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

When will I have the spotlight?
4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History

Never.
The Third Imperium
Journalist, South Pacific Independent News Network (SPINN)

Provost, Magisterium
Sergeant, East Pacific Sovereign Army
Journalist, East Pacific News Service

Foreign Affairs Minister, The West Pacific

Thanks for the compliments, TAC. Smile

I call'em as I see'em.

What a great spotlight! Happywide

Bat signal? Where?
The Third Imperium
Journalist, South Pacific Independent News Network (SPINN)

Provost, Magisterium
Sergeant, East Pacific Sovereign Army
Journalist, East Pacific News Service

Foreign Affairs Minister, The West Pacific

Well I may not have agreed with some of his views, however everyone's different and that's why I like theses spotlights, you learn something about people.
Europeian Ambassador to The South Pacific
Former Local Council Member
Former Minister of Regional Affairs
Former High Court Justice