We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Journal Tonight with HEM Tiberius

The Journal Tonight with HEM Tiberius

HEM: "Welcome to our viewers in the South Pacific and around the world. I am HEM Tiberius, and this is the Journal Tonight -- The South Pacific's exclusive source for election coverage. We have an exciting show for you throughout this campaign season. We will delve into the latest round of polling by the Southern Journal and talk to those in "the know" about what exactly "they know" about the tickets running in this upcoming election.

To start tonight off, we'd like to welcome our very own Chairman of the Assembly -- Unibot!"

[Camera zooms out to reveal Unibot sitting at a table with HEM]

HEM: "Hello Unibot! Welcome to The Journal Tonight, the Southern Journal's only talkshow! It's great to have you!"

Unibot: "Hey! Excellent to be here. Just had to show my father how to use a Smart TV. I don't he felt too smart after using it."

HEM: [laughs] "I would probably feel the same way! Tonight we are beginning our discussion on the upcoming TSP elections. Do you have any initial thoughts?"

Unibot: "I was reminded by some fellows in #the_south_pacific earlier this week that The South Pacific is a different region these days. It's changed in some respects from The South Pacific I remember in 2011-2 and, I would say in a good way - we're embracing a more mature diplomatic profile that acts out of careful consideration, not you know, bouncing between sides angrily and our Assembly is growing in terms of its depth of discussion.

I think we're at a place now where the virtue of our region isn't anger or ignorance, but understanding, reason and compassion. We've always had this Tropical theme parsed with some unresolved anger - Americana, perhaps. That's always put us at odds with ourselves and I think this generation has kind of just removed that americana - taken a more laid-back, tropical approach to life. That's good, but it's going to come at odds with the way we once were. This election is going to be either a vindication of the new, or a return to the old. But I don't think we can really return to how we once were, some might try though, unsuccessfully."

HEM: "Why do you think this election is so pivotal in taking one direction or another?"

Unibot: "I think it's pivotal to some. For those who want to see the "old" TSP back - they might regard this as their last opportunity to turn things around. Get so and so in such and such position and you might 'fix' things. Reality is TSP is still TSP and trying to fight like that to keep things 'the same' only makes the process of change more difficult and painful for the region, but it happens either way.
That's change for you."

HEM: "What speculations do you have about the candidates that might run?"

Unibot: "Sure, Arbiter and Glen-Rhodes are delegate material for sure. Kringalia has said he'll run for MoRA since the dawn of time. Henn would make a fine delegate, but I suspect he'll run for MoA. I still plan on running for Chair again. As for the alternatives, Tsu had said he wanted out of politics, but now there's a rumor he's going to run again - you can never count him out. You've come back from the dead, so I wouldn't count you out for a fifteenth go at MoFA. I like TAC quite a lot, he seems like an up-and-comer for a position like MoFA, Llamas too. Hobbes has hinted at times he'll run - he brings a lot of experience that's for sure, but I don't know if his TSP credentials are strong enough to help him.

I think it might be a bit more of a multilateral race. Less old versus new, more new versus new versus old. Unfortunately, in a first-past-the-post system that favours the tighter demographics. The ones who will more likely vote for themselves. Since that strengthens their ability to divide-and-conquer in the election"

HEM: "Well ya know, I thought Z-day was an appropriate time period to arise from the dead Wink "

Unibot: "Where is my cure gun when I need it..."

HEM: "Hahahahahahaha. Good one. *eats Brains*

Off the top of your head, do you suspect every race will be contested?"

Unibot: "The Ministry of Army might not be contested. Few people have the local SPSF credibility to run against Henn. And if you're not a neutral, it's difficult to run for the position - so most of the gameplay talent is discouraged from running.

The Minister of Regional Affairs seat for Kringalia will be a landslide, but that won't deter people from running. It's typically the position that younger TSPers get their start with."

HEM: "On a scale of 10, how would you rate the Kringle Administration?"

Unibot: "8. It's been one of the better governments we've had in TSP. One of the best running Assemblies - I think that environment went from being totally unproductive to being constructive. One of the best foriegn policies - most mature and consistent. Kringalia also liked to focus on community and culture - but not in the fake way, he was very committed to that. Some of the things that the government could have worked on was: (1) growth of the SPSF in terms of numbers, (2) helping to 'explain' the loss of TNI and Kantrias as allies to TSP more; it was something that had to happen.. they were being ridiculous, but TSP's more passive response, let others stir the message as though it was TSP's fault. If we had been a bit more, pro-active, we wouldn't have taken that lying down - TSP's citizens would *know* it was TNI and Kantrias's fault and that there people defending TNI and its allies's actions were defending a position contrary to TSP's interests, (3) this recent announcement that TSP won't defend against Europeia flies against our treaty's text and was never approved by the cabinet or the MoFA; I thought it was insulting to go around the MoFA like that and leave the cabinet in the dark. It was a misstep and one that could rattle our allies down the line if we don't clarify what our treaties mean to us.

I've had a blast in cabinet though. I told them earlier that this was my favourite cabinet in NS to serve in. And I hope that future cabinet ministers can enjoy a similar (or better) experience. They're all fun gentlemen."

HEM: "Thank you Unibot! It has been great getting your perspective today! Folks, we'll be back after this brief commercial break!"

Great show I hope you do more. I also really like the ad at the end.
Europeian Ambassador to The South Pacific
Former Local Council Member
Former Minister of Regional Affairs
Former High Court Justice

HEM:
"And we are back. We would like to take a moment to introduce the political panel who will be with us for our election coverage. They will be joined by many prominent TSP citizens in commentating on events as they unfold!

[Camera zooms out to reveal full table]

Gentlemen would you like to introduce yourselves?"

Joe Lieberman: "I'm former United States Senator, Joe Lieberman."

Jay Leno: "Jay Leno, here."

John Major: "I am former UK Prime Minister and Conservative Party Leader, John Major."

Condoleezza Rice: "I'm former United States Secretary of State, Condoleezza Rice."

HEM: "And I, of course, am HEM Tiberius. Welcome everyone, and a big welcome to our panel. Our panelists will be here to help me analyze every turn of this election, and to challenge each other on the big questions. We look forward to spirited debate with them and the citizens of the South Pacific."

Joe Lieberman: "Good to be here HEM."

Jay Leno: "Yeah, I can't think of anything I'd rather be doing."

John Major: "Maybe hosting the Tonight Show again?"

Jay Leno: "So this is how it is going to be?! Need I remind you how many seats your party had in the UK Parliament after the 1997 election?"

HEM: "Gentlemen, gentlemen, calm yourselves."

Condoleezza Rice: [looks up from her phone] "Oh, is the camera rolling? Sorry, couldn't pay attention over the sound of these buffoons trying to tie their words together into coherent thoughts. Great to be here HEM."

HEM: "Ermm well now with introductions out of the way, do we have any immediate thoughts about the Unibot interview?"

Joe Lieberman: "No surprises. Unibot is a true statesman of The South Pacific. He has a way of speaking with such poise and grace. I think the points he made about "new" vs. "old" South Pacific are spot on. We need to move away from the divisive politics of the past and move into this new era of cooperation and harmony. That means electing politicians who are committed to those ideals."

Condoleezza Rice: "You mean committed to defender ideals?"

Joe Lieberman: "That's not what I said. Need I clean your ears?"

Condoleezza Rice: "Joe, Unibot has all this talk about a "new era" of "tropical harmony" or whatever, but in essence, the only thing that has changed is that Unibot has gotten exactly what he wanted. Unibot doesn't see the region as more harmonious because it has entered some new tranquil era, but because the region is finally going the way he wants it to. The alliance with The New Inquisition is up in flames, the word independence sponged off our monuments. It's not about all that fluffy shiz, it's about him winning and wanting to keep winning."

Joe Lieberman: "There you go Connie, going down the road Unibot warned us about, making this all about politics. That's exactly what he doesn't want. That should be what we all don't want."

Condoleezza Rice: "It was already about politics. I'm just the one with the stones to point it out."

HEM: "Is there a middle road here?"

Jay Leno: "Look, Connie certainly has a point. But look at the Assembly. Things have been more cordial, more peaceful, less painful. Just six months ago, the Assembly Floor was a bloodbath of hate and discord. There were many who predicted that a Chairman Unibot would divide the region further, but that doesn't appear to be the case at all. I agree with Connie that he is surely still advancing an agenda -- who isn't -- but also agree with Unibot that the region is less...crazy that before Kris' time as Delegate."

John Major: "I think that Unibot -- and those who agree with him -- are rather keen on locking the recent Foreign Policy shifts into permanency. Casting things into the "old" and the "new" will allow Unibot to advocate against reactionary policy that may move TSP back to "independent" policy that they have now turned from.

Joe Lieberman: "I am openly very keen on electing officials who will keep The South Pacific strong and free of entangling labels that make us de facto invaders. I am very keen on shifting away from these divisive polices that everyone else seems infatuated with. I am very keen to focus on the issues and avoid these labels that do so much to divide and hurt us!"

Condoleezza Rice: [back to playing on her phone] "Is 'keen' the word of the day? Did I miss the memo?"

HEM: [cuts off Rice] "Okay...let's just move on...What about Unibot's predictions for who is going to run? Is he right?"

Jay Leno: "Personally, I think he is spot on. I think the Delegacy will be a two way race, probably between Arbiter and Sandaoguo."

John Major: "The polling gives us a very interesting snapshot, but it is only just a snapshot. We'll have to actually see the candidates and see the platforms before anything is cast in stone. I agree with Jay, however, in saying that the Delegacy will probably be a two way race, with maybe a minor third candidate. I also agree with Unibot that the Regional Affairs portfolio may be a crowded race with Kringle wiping out the competition."

Condoleezza Rice: "What do we think about Foreign Affairs?"

Joe Lieberman: "I think you should do it. Bush era policies in the South Pacific!" [sarcasm]

Condoleezza Rice: "Thanks sweetie. Love you too."

Jay Leno: "What about you HEM? You going to be the darkhorse?"

HEM: "Alrighty, we have to cut to a quick commerical break."

John Major: "Answer the question!!"

HEM: [ignores] "When we come back, we'll take another look at the Journal's polling, and bring in a very special guest!!"

Joe Lieberman: "Yo man, THE PEOPLE WANT TO KNOW

HEM: [ignores] "We'll be back right after this!"

Joe Lieberman: "What a dick."

Condoleezza Rice: "Your mic is still hot, moron."

I like that I'm being speculated about, but I have to say that I'm not running for delegate!

HEM: "And we are back. As promised, we are joined by a very special guest -- our very own Vice Delegate -- Arbiter08!! Welcome! Arbiter08, what predictions do you have for the upcoming General Elections?"

Arbiter08: "Thanks for having me here! Well, I have a few predictions. First off, if Tsunamay runs, which I think he will, he'll run for CoA again. Henn seems to be running for Delegate, so any of my predictions about him just went out the window. G-R? Not sure, although he said he'd be running for something. Also, I hear that there will be a newcomer to our elections looking for to run for MoA.

HEM: "hmmm very interesting indeed! What about you? Are you ready to declare on the air today if you will be seeking office, and if so, which?

Arbiter08: "I'll certainly be seeking to be elected, but you'll just have to wait and see to find out what I'm looking to be elected for."

HEM: "Professor Henn has recently published his platform for Delegate, what are your initial thoughts?"

Arbiter08:
"Most of Henn's platform seems to revolve around security, and how we are in a fragile state right now. Personally, I don't believe that this is the case; although it never hurts to be cautious."

HEM: "What do you think is the biggest challenge facing The South Pacific right now?"

Arbiter08: "The biggest challenge facing us as a region is that some of our treaty allies have conflicting points of view, which is only to be expected, but their points of view seem to conflict on how TSP should act. Therefore TSP feels compelled to listen to and support our treaty allies, but can't without picking one ally over the other."

HEM: "How do you think TSP should engage and work with allies in the upcoming term to avoid disagreements and build strong relationships?"

Arbiter08: "I think that when a disagreement is found between allies TSP should be there to help mediate it, and if TSP is the root if the problem then we should work to find a middle-ground between them. To build strong relationships? Cultural events are always a good way to go, along with Military cooperation. It also helps if a strong personal relationship is formed with the head of government."

HEM: "Want is your opinion of the recent change to drop "independent" as a descriptor of The South Pacific?"

Arbiter08: "Dropping the independent label does nothing for us in practice. All it did was change the name to something which means the exact same, like changing the name of a stick you found in the ground to a twig. I'm not necessarily against it, but I wasn't for it either."

HEM: "Earlier we spoke to Unibot who talked about a "new" vs. "old" era. Do you believe we are in a "new" era, and if so, what distinguishes it from the old?"

Arbiter08: "With different faces in the government it's inevitable that some will see it as a new era. I was only here during the end of the so called "old era", so I don't feel it would be fair to judge it based off of what I saw. Although I can tell you that this "new era" definitely seems to be very different from the old one, as we appear to have shifted our foreign policy to lean more towards defenders then our predecessors, not saying that we are defenders."

HEM: "Do you think this shift has been a good one?"

Arbiter08: "I wouldn't say that it is either good or bad. TSP's interests have shifted, and so has what we want in an ally."

HEM: "How have our interests shifted?"

Arbiter08:
"Seeing as his half of our cabinet either has been, or is interested in becoming the Minister of Regional Affairs I would say that our cabinet seems much more interested in creating a vibrant and fun cultural experience then the  members if the "old era". I would also agree with Unibot that we seem much more laid-back then before."

HEM: "Just to wrap up, do you have any advise for new members of the region?"

Arbiter08: "Don't be afraid to ask for help! Many of us, surprisingly, actually want to see you get involved."

HEM: "Folks, we'll be right back with the panel to discuss this interview and much much more election news. We'll be back."

HEM: "To our viewers in the South Pacific and around the world, welcome back to the Journal Tonight! I'm HEM Tiberius, and I am joined by our top-notch political panel which tonight includes two very special guests: forum Administrator Tsunamy and current Delegate Kris Montresor! Tonight we will be discussing our interview with Vice Delegate Arbiter08 and how the campaign has currently unfolded.

We now have two official candidates for the highest office in the land. One -- Arbiter08 -- announced here with The Journal in a second interview after his with us, and the other -- Professor Henn -- announced in an early campaign thread. Three days before polls even open, we have a serious horserace. Thoughts?"

John Major: "Journal Polling in the lead-up to the race had Arbiter08 as the favorite, which means any contender has to take votes away from him and get them for themselves. That's a hefty feat when we are talking about a two-term Vice Delegate who is well-liked by the region. It becomes even harder when you can't be around for the actual campaigning period, and then post a rather mediocre campaign platform. I think Professor Henn has a steep hill to climb at this point, and to be honest, I'm not sure whether he can do it."

HEM: "Let's remind viewers of the polling that John is talking about here. Can we get this on the screen?"

Condoleezza Rice: "Why do you say Professor Henn's platform is 'mediocre' John?"

John Major: "I didn't impress me. I didn't see many new ideas, and the ones I did see, such as expanding the CCS didn't seem to have a great deal of nuance. His Domestic Affairs sections seem to focus on integration and events. The integration piece is interesting, but there isn't a single suggestion on how to integrate any better than we currently are. The foreign affairs section just seemed to be based on the idea of a frail South Pacific, which I don't buy."

Kris Montresor: "I think you raise an interesting point, John, and I agree with it. Certainly we all agree that interregional events are important, but they also require lots of resources and planning. In a way it’s disappointing not to see Henn being more specific about other ways in which he can integrate the community, specially since he currently is the Minister of Regional Affairs. I think it would greatly benefit his campaign to let newcomers see that promoting activity and opportunities in the region is one of his top priorities."

Jay Leno: "I would disagree with both of you. Professor Henn seems reflective, deliberative, and careful -- just the type of leader that we need here in the South Pacific. He didn't pretend to have all the answers. I won't hide the fact that I'm leaning toward him at the moment."

Tsunamy: "Generally, speaking Jay -- that's a good thing. However, since Professor Henn doesn't have a very long track record in the region, it might make some people feel better if there were more specifics or really more of a leadership vision."

Jay Leno: "There are never any specifics! Leadership doesn't need some grand vision, it needs a reliable leader who will be able to react to what comes! Professor Henn has shown he has that ability!"

John Major: "...He didn't even have a platform."

Jay Leno: "He had over 600 words, John, what more do you want?"

John Major: "Maybe...I don't know...some actual content?"

Kris Montresor: "If I could interject here: being able to react to unexpected events is important, but what we really need in a leader is proactiveness. I want to a Delegate who constantly has new and innovative ideas, who always takes the initiative and who shows us that he is doing his best to make a difference. Henn has been Minister of Regional Affairs for one full term, and I’d say he has proven to be more than capable, but has he actually shown in that time that he is proactive enough to be Delegate?"

Joe Lieberman: "I think its important to remember that campaigning by one's self isn't usually an asset to a candidate. We don't have anything to compare Henn's platform to at the moment, so we are likely to be more critical. Only once Arbiter08 posts his platform will we truly be able to see where both candidates stand."

Condoleezza Rice: "I agree. I also think we shouldn't discount the possibility of a third candidate. Another contender in the race could shake the field up."

Tsunamy: "I agree with Condi. In fact, I was under the impression there was at least one other ticket and I certainly wouldn't be surprised if there were more."

HEM Tiberius: "How do you think this will shake up the distribution of votes? Do you anticipate a very close race?"

Tsunamy: "I think that will all depend. If there's three or more tickets, I certainly image that will cut down the chances it will be a runaway."

John Major: "From a purely political perspective, Professor Henn's campaign is going to be challenged by his absence during the election period. If there is a third candidate in this race I suspect that the contest will be between them and Arbiter08 with Henn being in third position."

Jay Leno: "Why are we assuming that Abiter08 is the frontrunner before this campaign has even begun? All of our assumptions seem rooted in one single poll that may or may not even be accurate. All that poll is saying -- truly -- is that Arbiter08 has the name recognition. This is a wide open race, and you guys seem determined to shut down anyone who isn't your love child, Arbiter08."

Joe Lieberman:
"I don't think anyone has done that Jay. It's not just name recognition, it's also about service and experience. It's also about the fact that Professor Henn did not have a spectacular manifesto. Yes, we do have a long way to go in this race, but nobody has done anything yet that suggests we should not just promote our Vice Delegate to the big chair."

HEM Tiberius: "Pulling this back together, what are your thoughts on my interview with Arbiter08?"

Condoleezza Rice: "Nothing too terribly surprising. I think Arbiter08 is toeing the "new center" in South Pacifician politics. As a matter of fact, his comments about Independence sort of throw a bone out to arch-evil imperialists like me, doesn't he, Joe?"

Joe Lieberman: "I think Abiter08's comments about how shedding our vile 'independent' label wasn't that important will isolate him from many South Pacificians, to be honest HEM. People like Condi might like it, but I think the mainstream thinkers in the region will see Arbiter08 as a candidate who may take us back to an era of division and hate."

Condoleezza Rice:
"Last time I checked Joe, it was your boy Unibot causing all the division and hate in the Assembly, eh?"

Joe Lieberman:
"Condi, only someone as dense as you would mistake standing up for the basic civil rights of our citizens as 'causing division and hate.'"

John Major: "HEM, you got yourself involved in that little snafu in the Assembly too, didn't you? What are your thoughts?"

HEM Tiberius:
[sweats] "Sooooo...after the break we will return with our political panel to discuss the Cabinet races outside of the Delegacy."

Jay Leno: "You turd, we have at least another 90 second until commercial."

HEM Tiberius: "Thank you for watching the Journal Tonight. We'll be back."

Condoleezza Rice: "I might not be. You guys suck."

Joe Lieberman: "Who's mic is still on this time, dumbo?"

Condoleezza Rice:
"Why you...."

[muffled sounds of punches and yelps can be heard as the screen goes black and closing credits roll]

You got the old BBC titles and the world news one. The current one for the UK is much better. Also interesting to her what people thought.
Europeian Ambassador to The South Pacific
Former Local Council Member
Former Minister of Regional Affairs
Former High Court Justice

HEM: "And we are back! With us, is Delegacy-candidate Hobbes! Thanks for being with us Hobbes! Let's dive in deep here. Word on the street is that you are running for Delegate. Want to tell us a little bit about that?"

Hobbes: "Oh yes, I'm running for delegate. Not sure if theres a lot else to explain on that regard."

HEM: "Well, why are you running?"

Hobbes: "Why? I don't know, honestly, I see it as a opportunity to expand on my current abilities and offer those abilities to TSP. On second thought, I kind of do know.

I see TSP as a place as a freshish start for me (this place smells too much of pie to make it entirely fresh), and a place to use my experience to make better then it already is. TSP has always had a rocky history, and although its certainly doing better all the time (brb finding that beatles song), it always could be better. TSP needs someone with experience and the guts to not bend to pressure nd to steer it on the path that Kringle and those before him (shoutout to escade on that one) have set.

every interview is better completed with at least 1 beatles reference *nods*

HEM: "hahahahaha love it! Now, I just returned to the region after a brief respite, would you be willing to outline for me -- and the viewers -- what experiences you have in and outside the region that qualify you for the Delegacy?"

Hobbes: "Now, this brings upon a good point to make. What qualifies experience for such a position? The answer is, not a whole lot of stuff. In any case, I can come up here today saying I've been the delegate of the other 8 GCR's (well, more like 14 if we count warzones but I'm not Tounge), but it still wouldn't account to the position TSP requires. No one is particularly 'experienced' enough for it, but, it comes down to who has the vision, and who has the experience and willpower to carry out that vision.

TSP is always a changing place, and I feel that, I for one, have the experience, both within NS and outside of it, to respond to that dynamic environment, for example, I run several websites, a multitide of which are larger then TSP in size, and keep them together. The point of the delegate would be that of a community manager; to keep the community together. No matter what the law says, that should come first.  When a community is divided beyond repair, the delegate should be a unifying figure willing to sit down and get stuff done.

But he also should know when to step aside and let others do there part, for my example, I willingly stepped aside and let Lazarus change forums, because the opinion had been reached that a other host would be best for the community. Now, another important role of the delegate would be to state the regions power, and assert its ability to think on its own and act on its own. I believe, of the three candidates in regards to NS, I would have the most experience in this regard. There is not a person in NS I would consider a enemy, and, having been 'in the dirt this long', that is a achievement in and of itself.

That doesn't mean I won't stand up for what I believe is right, I am a (since card-carrying is a thing now), a 'card carrying defender', yet with a background of working with regions who wish to remain free of the R/D split, and I understand the opinion felt by those wishing to avoid classification, such as TSP, which recently dropped 'Independent' due to Independentism being reclassified nowdays. While I obviously have my own opinions in the regards to R/D, as the (operative) head of the EPSA, and head of the LLA, I have not let ideology go before the wills of the region, and will continue to pursue that.

I am entirely going off topic in regards to experience, so I'll wrap up here, but yeah. The question being asked should not be 'what experience one has', but, 'what experience one has that would help him carry out the position'. Because, in the end, there is no single handed experience that would 100% prepare you for the job.

HEM: "One of your opponents, Professor Henn, has already posted his manifesto. Some people have criticized his platform for being skimpy on details. Do you agree with this assessment, and what else would you say about Henn as a potential Delegate?"

Hobbes: "Well, henn obviously will be on vacation most of it so he's fine in supplying his early. As for his details, I honestly don't have much of a comment - While I am entitled to my opinion as a citizen of TSP, the citizens voting should decide what was correct and what was incorrect with his campaign - not me."

HEM: "Okay, I get that piece, but wouldn't you say drawing contrasts between you and the other candidates would be a crucial part of defining yourself as a candidate? I'm not asking for personal attacks here!"
Hobbes: "Oh, absolutely, but in that regard I think i'll need to read up more on Henn and what he's trying to achive in his delegacy than I currently have. I've skimmed through his campaign but I havn't had the time to look through it piece by piece yet."

HEM: "Fair enough! What big issues do you anticipate arising in this campaign?"

Hobbes: "I suspect the election committee is something that may spill over into the next term - but outside of that I can not say for sure. I believe Kringle (correct me if im misquoting, pretty sure its kringle) said it best; the delegate should be better prepared for what arises out of nowhere rather then what everyone is expecting; for it is what rises out of nowhere that really might just kill you. I'd say a majority of events in NS are the ones that come out of nowhere - You don't get a 2-3 week warning when a GCR is about to be couped, or a region invaded. And its the responses to those events that really will mark a delegates ability to perform, not what he can predict will happen during the campaign."

HEM: "And do you think you are better prepared for this "unexpected"?"

Hobbes: "As someones whos almost been ran over while directing traffic, has dealt with the unexpected a lot of his NS career, and, above all else, has survived being purged, yes. Purging is funner then you'd expect, btw. Seriously, I think compared to the other candidates declaring right now, yes, I think I am better prepared. I've been more involved in it, been through it, and think I am better prepared to respond to it."

HEM: "Turning a moment to foreign policy, what do you see in TSP's future in regards to External Affairs?"

Hobbes: "This is something I kind of can predict, I expect the dropping of the 'Independent' tag will continue to shape our FA for the next term. We need to re-evaluate who is with us as TSP and who is with us for the 'GCR ally' card. And to who is on either side of that fence, right now I can't give you a definitive answer. While G-R has done an amazing job at sorting through the carnage of foreign policy (carnage in general, not saying TSP's foreign policy is bad), the 'independent' tag turns a lot of things around...or rather, the dropping of it. And we'll have to re-evaluate where we stand with a lot of allies on that regard, and thats something myself, or whoever is elected delegate, will need to sort with the new MOFA once elected."

HEM: "So, your opponent Arbiter08 stated previously that he believed the dropping of the "independent" label did little to effect foreign policy. I'm guessing by this, you'd disagree?"

Hobbes: "I would certainly disagree. To some, this is us cuddling up to the 'defender baaaad people', to others, it's TSP freeing itself from a inaccurate label that groups us with raiding regions. Every person has a different perspective. And as a defender, (albeit a 'cool defender' in the words of most of the raiding community Tounge), I do believe it has changed and will continue to change our foreign policy - for better, or for worse, is something we are yet to see. But, I can say it has changed, and will continue to change, the way we see foreign policy and the way foreign powers see us."

HEM: "If you could wave a magic wand and change one thing in the region, what would it be?"

Hobbes: "kill either Hem or Henn, I havn't decided which one yet so we'll flip a coin. The names make me squint everytime i see one or the other to figure out which it is"

HEM: "What would you see as your biggest weakness going into the Delegate's office?"

Hobbes: "I hate these kind of questions, you either get a lie, a shaded truth, or the blunt truth which can either hurt or extremely benefit the candidate. Press gold, amirite? Well, anyways, my issue is I have too much of a soul, and this bites me in the ass more then once. I don't enjoy screwing people over, it takes a certain mindset and I almost rarely am able to achieve it."

HEM: "Having a soul?"

Hobbes: "Yes. It's a weakness. I am literally a 'wouldn't hurt a fly' type of guy. Okay, maybe flies, they're freaky. And spiders, but most shit I won't kill."

HEM: "And finally, what advise would you offer a new member of the South Pacific?"

Hobbes: "Stick to your guns. Do something because you want to do it, not because you've been told it'd be the more easilly achievable position. I'm not running for delegate because I'd be a shoe in, I'm running because it's what I /want/ to do and what I /can/ make a difference as."

HEM: "Thank you for joining us tonight, Hobbes!"

Hobbes: "o7"

HEM: "Alrighty folks, we'll be back with commentary right after this!"

HEM: "To our viewers in the South Pacific and around the world, welcome The Journal Tonight's coverage of the end of these dynamic elections. With almost all of the vote in, the Journal Tonight has a few projections to make"

HEM: "At the top of the ticket, the Journal Tonight has a projection on the Delegacy Race!"

Administrator Tsunamy [Image: right-arrow.gif] ***PROJECTED PLURALITY WINNER***
16 votes | 55.17%
[Image: dane-cook-showtime-comedy-entertainment-96.jpg]

Vice Delegate Arbiter08

8 votes | 27.59%
[Image: 2zxwcvl.jpg]

Hobbes
3 votes | 10.34%
[Image: hobbes_dock_icons_145155_img_122.png]

HEM: "The Journal Tonight is now ready to project that Tsunamy will capture a plurality of the vote in his quest to be the next Delegate of the South Pacific. While we believe there are many indicators pointing to a first round majority for Administrator Tsunamy, out of an abundance of caution we are not yet ready to project a winner of this race. Thoughts by the panel?"

Jay Leno: "This was a surprise for most people. Look, unless there is a plethora of people holding onto their ballots -- or voting anonymously which is possible -- Tsunamy is looking to win a very decisive victory here. I think many people didn't see it coming because Tsunamy wasn't included in the initial Journal poll, and Arbiter08 looked to be a shoe in. The best Arbiter08 can hope for now is a runoff, and to be honest HEM, that runoff doesn't appear initially to offer him much chance of a win."

John Major: "I think we are going to get quite a few different narratives of what happened here. There are opponents of Milograd's parole who may say -- 'see how unpopular this was! Voters punished you at the voting booth' -- and claim that Arbiter08's role on the parole board did him in. I don't think that explanation very likely. For one, Arbiter08 was not at the forefront of the public debate over the parole, and for second, Unibot -- who was -- looks likely to survive his own electoral challenge. I think, at the end of the day, lots of people like Tsunamy and wanted to see what he would do in the top job. I don't think this election was a slight against Arbiter08 at all."

Condoleezza Rice: "I think the parole board decision had some effect. I think HEM is faring a little better against Unibot that many pundits expected -- especially with an endorsement from an incumbent Delegate. I don't think it made or broke anyone, but I think a few voters flipped over because of the decision."

Joe Lieberman:
"It's a sad day in the South Pacific if voters leave candidates because they show solid records of compassion. What a heartless region we have become."

Jay Leno: "I agree with John, I don't think the parole board decision did diddly-squat here. I think everyone just underestimated Tsunamy from the start. Arbiter08 ran a great campaign, is a great candidate for the office, but Tsunamy is widely popular and the region wants to give him a chance."

HEM: "Did Professor Henn's absence make a different to this result?"

John Major: "No. Henn had a very small support base coming in. I suspect his numbers would be right around Hobbes'. I think this was a two man race for a while."

Condoleezza Rice: "Agreed. Professor Henn is an extraordinary citizen, but he just wasn't ready for the big chair quite yet."

HEM: "Alrighty folks, we will be back with more projections after this."

[Image: aCziMcw.png]
HEM: "Welcome back to the Journal Tonight! We have started our coverage for the conclusion of the November 2014 General Elections. We have just gotten back from projecting that Tsunamy will capture a plurality of the vote. If Tsunamy's vote total dips below 50%, he will need to face Arbiter08 in a runoff election. Turning away from the Delegacy, we have a few other races to call.

In the race for Minister of Regional Affairs, The Journal Tonight is ready to project that incumbent Delegate Kris "Kringle" Montresor will get his wish to continue in the employment of his region. Kris will be our next Minister of Regional Affairs, by an outright majority, The Journal Tonight projects."

MINISTER OF REGIONAL AFFAIRS

Delegate Kris Montresor [Image: CheckMark.png] ***PROJECTED WINNER****
17 votes | 60.71%

[Image: photo.jpg]

Former Delegate Southern Bellz
8 votes | 28.57%

[Image: avatar_16.png?dateline=1398907081]

Punchwood
2 votes | 7.14%

[Image: avatar_72.jpg?dateline=1408832491]

HEM: "The Journal Tonight is ready to call the Minister of Foreign Affairs race for Lord Ravenclaw. Ravenclaw swarmed the electorate with content in his campaign, which coupled with missteps made by his opponents, made this a blowout for Ravenclaw."

MINISTER OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS

Lord Ravenclaw
[Image: CheckMark.png] ***PROJECTED WINNER****
17 votes | 68.00%

[Image: bretonimageheadcopy2.jpg?dateline=1400171090]

TAC
3 votes | 12.00%

[Image: 6a5961b7f64283_flip.png?dateline=1416544000]

Llamas
2 votes | 8.00%

[Image: avatar_302.jpg?dateline=1408566508]

HEM: "In the election for Minister of the Army, The Journal Tonight is ready to protect that sole candidate CrimsonTideFan will receive a majority of the vote against the RON-option. CrimsonTideFan has the distinction of winning with the shortest platform this cycle, producing only 3 lines of text for his manifesto. This perhaps partially explains the high percentages for RON -- coupled with reservations from the candidate himself about running unopposed. Irregardless, CrimsonTideFan will be our next Minister of the Army."

MINISTER OF THE ARMY

CrimsonTideFan [Image: CheckMark.png] ***PROJECTED WINNER****
21 votes | 75.00%

[Image: avatar_26.jpg?dateline=1396320315]

RON
7 votes | 25.00%
[Image: photo.jpg]

John Major: "In for HEM on this one, The Journal Tonight does NOT yet have a projection on the Chair of the Assembly race. This race is closer than many may have expected, with HEM only four votes behind the well-liked and well endorsed incumbent -- Unibot. With all the potential voters still out there -- as well as anonymous voters -- The Journal Tonight is not yet ready to make a projection, while characterizing the race as 'Leaning toward Unibot'."

CHAIR OF THE ASSEMBLY

Chairman Unibot
16 votes | 57.14%

[Image: avatar_71.jpeg?dateline=1396546703]

HEM
12 votes | 42.86%

[Image: simone-head.JPG]

John Major: "Any thoughts from the panel on the other results?"

Condoleezza Rice: "Starting with Regional Affairs, I actually think Southern Bellz gave Kris a helluva run for his money. He was suppose to win like 900% of the vote in that race. He is a very popular incumbent Delegate who wants to keep serving his region. Southern Bellz turned that contest into an actual race, and I think we are all the better for it."

Joe Lieberman: "I agree, I think Kris could have beat Max Barry in that race, but I think Southern Bellz ran a stupendous campaign."

Jay Leno: "Did everyone else see the landslide in Foreign Affairs brewing?"

Condoleezza Rice: "Yes and no. I think Ravenclaw emerged as the clear favorite once TAC and Llamas were called out getting key Foreign Affairs information wrong, but the margin is surprising to me."

John Major: "Foreign Affairs is a tough position to run for these days. You really have to be the expert in...everything."

Joe Lieberman:
"Minister of the Army is the weirdest race though, right?"

Jay Leno:
"Agreed. Though I think CrimsonTideFan is probably the most qualified candidate not running for higher office. The manifesto just seemed sparse, and he suggested during voting that people should vote to reopen nominations because he didn't have an opponent. It was interesting."

John Major:
"And finally, our one pending race, Chair of the Assembly?"

Condoleezza Rice:
"Unibot has the edge. It all depends on these last eight hours or so. If HEM can get the race within 2, and then maybe count on some secret ballots, he could whisk it away from Unibot. It is possible, but the smart money is on Unibot."

Joe Lieberman: "Because of the recent parole controversy, I would suspect almost all the secret ballots -- if they exist -- are for Unibot. There may be a 'shy Tory effect' in supporting Unibot, but I suspect that the current margin would be the closest it possibly gets for HEM. A win of 6-8 for Unibot isn't out of the question. I think we should be really close to calling this race."

Jay Leno: "This race is probably the most unsurprising of all. Throughout the campaign Unibot was seen as a vulnerable incumbent, but still the favorite. He is likely to win by a small -- but comfortable -- margin, which just confirms this."

John Major:
"I would tend to disagree. I agree with Condie, we are looking at a closer race. This is clearly a referendum on Unibot's work as Chair, and some people are obviously unhappy."

Joe Lieberman: "Perhaps a referendum on Unibot's personality, but nobody with a modicum of sense would vote against his great stewardship of the Chair."

Condoleezza Rice: "Unibot has used the Assembly for his political advantage!"

Joe Lieberman: "Unibot has almost single handily turned the Assembly away from its negative past! He has transitioned it to a deliberative and competent body!"

John Major: "Alright, more of this, and the return of HEM, after we come back."