We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Nomination/Voting Periods

WELCOME TO THE NOVEMBER 2014 GENERAL ELECTIONS.

Nominations will be open for three days and Campainging for three days, from November 15th @ 11:00 AM (CST) to November 21st @ 11:00 AM (CST).

Voting will be from November 21st @ 11:01 AM (CST) to November 24th @ 11:01 AM (CST).

GOOD LUCK TO ALL CANDIDATES! It is sure to be an exciting election!!
United States of Kalukmangala

Former High Court Justice

I have a question for the Election Commissioner:

Given the number of candidates for Delegate, it is possible no one will get more than 50% of the vote, and therefore a run off election might be necessary. Would that run off election consist of a three-day campaign period and voting, or would it be only the voting?
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

(11-16-2014, 02:12 AM)Kris Kringle Wrote: I have a question for the Election Commissioner:

Given the number of candidates for Delegate, it is possible no one will get more than 50% of the vote, and therefore a run off election might be necessary. Would that run off election consist of a three-day campaign period and voting, or would it be only the voting?

As per Article 1 of the Code of Laws:

Quote:10. The Delegate and Vice Delegate will run on a joint ticket and be elected by a majority vote. If no ticket receives a majority vote a runoff election with the two tickets receiving the most votes will occur.

5. Runoff elections will begin within twenty-four hours of the initial vote closing and consist of a voting period lasting three days.

If no Delegate/Vice Delegate ticket receives the majority of the vote, the two tickets with the most votes will immediately enter into a run-off election consisting of only a voting period, lasting three days.

(11-15-2014, 12:40 PM)Gustave Berr Wrote: WELCOME TO THE NOVEMBER 2014 GENERAL ELECTIONS.

Nominations will be open for three days, from November 15th @ 11:00 AM (CST) to November 18th @ 11:00 AM (CST).

Voting will be from November 18th @ 11:01 AM (CST) to November 21st @ 11:01 AM (CST).

GOOD LUCK TO ALL CANDIDATES! It is sure to be an exciting election!!

If I am right, there is meant to be a six day non-voting period, the first three days to be nominated, nominate or nominate yourself. Then the last three days for more campaigning, then three days for the vote.
(11-05-2014, 12:45 PM)Unibot Wrote: Article 1: Elections

4. All elections shall consist of a pre-voting period lasting six days and a voting period lasting three days. Citizens shall have to declare their candidacy or accept their nomination within the first three days of the pre-voting period.

In total elections should last nine days, not six. is this just a mistake?   

Europeian Ambassador to The South Pacific
Former Local Council Member
Former Minister of Regional Affairs

Indeed. We are missing the three extra campaign days.
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

Noted and changed. I apologize for the error.

What if there is a tie for 2nd in the D/VD election and nobody still has a 50% majority, or three people have equal votes for first? I know it should be clear (3 way runoff), but currently it only allows for the two with the most votes.

That is actually a good question.

Legal Resources:

Sounds like another runoff election for the runoff election.

but then w would need a runoff for the runoff of the runoff. what are we to do charlie brown?
Apad
King of Haldilwe