We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[LEGAL QUESTION]Surrendering the sovereignty of the Coalition

How should we approach this?

Admittedly I feel like he's just asking us obvious questions in hopes of exploiting our result.

Either we'd wipe the section using our power, interpret into uselessness, or interpret it as it is and give him fuel for him to get the assembly to repeal it.

Everyone post their thoughts, give me a couple of days and I will do the same. Wrapping up some RL stuff, and getting back into TSP post-holidays.
United States of Kalukmangala

Former High Court Justice

Honestly, I'd refer this back to the Assembly.

I'm afraid I lack the expertise to render an appropriate judgement on this issue, and AFAIK, no other clauses in the Charter/CoL or any other relevant document include a clause dealing with the sovereignty of the Coalition.

I agree with Awe. I simply don't think there is enough for us to even interpret here. The Assembly needs to expand on this Law, as I don't see how it can function in it's current state.

What makes this even more unusual is in that there was no Assembly discussion or other event that triggered this Legal Question.

I fear that such direct-to-Court questions may set a dangerous precedent, in that the power of the Assembly may be subverted.

I have to agree, send this to the assembly it's not enough fircus to interpret and as I stated previously I fear Unibot is attempting to exploit the court here in his favour. I too would like to avoid this precendent.

Alright. How should we structure our response then?

Do we need anything special? Perhaps just that on further review the court has decided not to pursue this case, and we refer it back to the assembly?

I will draft and post some language, since we all agree.