We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Poll: Which statement best characterizes your feelings about the electoral reform survey?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
I support the survey and electoral reforms fully!
15.00%
3 15.00%
I support the survey, but am uncertain about the need for reform
45.00%
9 45.00%
I am opposed to the survey for specific reasons, but could amendable to reform
35.00%
7 35.00%
I strongly oppose any and all electoral reform efforts
0%
0 0%
Uncertain
5.00%
1 5.00%
Total 20 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Assembly has Kerfuffle over Reform Survey

Assembly has Kerfuffle over Election Reform Survey

(01 January 2015) -- The South Pacific

The South Pacific Assembly has long been noted as a chamber for spirited debate over many pressing and controversial issues. The Assembly has sparred over the morality of invaderism, reforms that have reshaped the judicial branch (many many many times), and changes that have completely revamped the structure of the South Pacific delegacy.

Today, however, the Assembly is debating...a survey. While not a glamorous issue, however, opponents of Chairman Unibot's election reform survey have many problems about the beginning of what could be a radical change in South Pacific democracy.

On December 5th, Unibot announced both the appointment of Vice Chairman Sandaoguo and the establishment of the Commission on Electoral Reform with the promise that, "we'll start polling The South Pacific on various priorities for a new electoral system and tap Eluvatar's infinite resources as an election guru to develop a few different key proposals as a launching board for a future discussion on Electoral Reform."

On December 30th, this polling began.

Citizen Punchwood and Delegate Tsunamy posed immediate concerns to the poll with the later saying that, "Requiring someone to sort of 13 different options is...a lot. Not to mention loaded terms like 'honest voting' and 'accurate representation' are extremely biased."

Opponents of the poll bounced between two principle objections that proponents argued with:

(1) That the poll was flawed because it used subjective terminology
(2) That the region has no need for electoral reform in the first place

Chairman Unibot has been a champion for electoral reform both in the South Pacific and abroad, so it is to no surprise that he and his Assembly allies strongly objected to the notion that the current FPTP system is adequate. Others -- like Minister Kringle -- were not so sure about reform, but felt the poll did nothing but offer constructive information for any potential efforts to change the way elections are held.

Delegate Tsunamy offered skepticism that any debate about election reform would be productive, saying that after the current discussion: "I'm not holding my breathe for anyone to be taken seriously in the future when the say, 'I don't think the system needs to be changed.'"

When SPINN later contacted the Delegate's office, Tsunamy stated that, "I do think it'll be interesting to see what the commission comes up with. I just want to make sure we're approaching any discussion with both eyes open."

A representative from Vice Chair Sandaoguo's office said that the Vice Chair felt that, "[...] A few people have been vocal about not liking the way the survey is set up, and part of that is probably opposition to reforming the electoral system altogether. It's yielding interesting results, and there are far more people who have taken the survey than people complaining about it. Although it is vague, it's not meant to be a scientific survey. It's more of a holistic survey. It's one part in a very broad process, that ultimately ends with an Assembly debate and vote."

If this debate shows us anything, it is that there remains wide and deep disagreement about Electoral Reform, notwithstanding Chair Unibot's election on a platform of reform. SPINN will continue covering the debates surrounding the Reform Commission and any actual proposals that are put forward.
Formerly Relevant, Currently Former.

Sorry, but what's 'I am opposed to the survey for specific reasons, but could amendable to reform'?

(01-03-2015, 12:48 AM)Awe Wrote: Sorry, but what's 'I am opposed to the survey for specific reasons, but could amendable to reform'?

It is basically saying that the respondent opposes the survey that was commissioned, but is not necessarily anti-reform.

I think it's grammatically incorrect, if anything Tounge

(01-03-2015, 02:06 AM)Awe Wrote: I think it's grammatically incorrect, if anything Tounge

but could be amendable to reform

or "amenable to reform." Wink

(01-03-2015, 04:09 AM)Brutland and Norden Wrote: or "amenable to reform." Wink

Eh, I quit. :wink:

(01-03-2015, 09:33 PM)HEM Wrote:

Nope. Tradition dictates you simply stop doing the job and wait for someone to seize control from you.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]

(01-03-2015, 10:26 PM)Belschaft Wrote:

Nope. Tradition dictates you simply stop doing the job and wait for someone to seize control from you.

I do love that tradition.

*huggles* Happywide