We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

CANCELLED: Plebiscite - Contradicting Proposals

Because Tsunamy has withdrawn his proposals in favour of Hospolis's proposal and QuietDad's proposal does not contradict either proposal, we shall vote on whether to first consider Hospolis's proposal or Belschaft's proposal for a bicameral system. QuietDad's proposal will be voted on with the other private members bills. Note: Belschaft's proposal is written as a proposal without formal codification - so I imagine if it were to be chosen here, it would need an official text for January 25. 

This plebiscite will run between now and January 25, 5:00 pm EST. You may vote either, for, "Hopolis I", "Belschaft I" or "Abstain".

Hopolis I

Quote:Article 3: Legislature

Section 1 - Construction of the Legislature
1. The legislature will consist of a bicameral legislature in which any nation in The South Pacific make participate.
2. The legislature will consist of a forum-based house, hereafter referred to as the Assembly, and a game-based house, hereafter referred to as the General Congregation.
3. The Assembly will consist of citizens as designated by the Charter.
4. The General Congregation will consist of all native residents of The South Pacific.

Section 2 - Powers of the Legislature
1. The Legislature is responsible for the discussion of General Laws, and amendments to the Charter and Code of Laws.
2. The Legislature may pass and amend a Law with a vote resulting in 50% + 1 in favor, in both houses.
3. The Legislature may amend the Charter with a vote resulting in a 75% majority in favor, in both houses.
4. If the General Congregation rejects a Law or Amendment, the Assembly may override the failure. A 75% majority vote in favor of an addition or change to the Code of Law and a 75% majority vote in favor of an Amendment to the Charter will be required to override the General Congregation.
5. Proposed legislation may be moved to a vote by the Legislative Chair after a Motion and a Second to vote is lodged in either house.
6. The voting period will last three days for all General Laws and five days for Amendments to the Charter.

Section 3 - Powers Reserved for the Assembly
1. The Assembly is responsible for the drafting General Laws, and amendments to the Charter and Code of Laws.
2. The Assembly has the sole power to declare a state of war exists with another region or organization. 
3. The Assembly has the sole power to pass a treaty with another region or organization. 
4. The Assembly may by a vote of 50%+1 approve a resolution to debate any proposed treaty or declaration of war with another region or organisation in private session.
5. The Assembly may by a vote of 50%+1 resolve to consult the General Congregation on any proposed treaty or declaration of war with another region or organisation.
6. The Assembly may override the denial or Cabinet removal of citizenship upon the affected nation appealing and a vote resulting in a 75% majority in favor.
7. Declarations of War and Treaties require a 60% majority in favor by the Assembly to be enacted or repealed.
8. The voting period will for last five days Declarations of War and Treaties.

Section 4 - Legislative Chair and Duties of the Chair
1. The Legislature will elect a Chair which, in conjunction with the Delegate, will be responsible for the administration of all aspects of the drafting, debate, and passage of legislation.
2. The Legislative Chair has the clerical duty to maintain the Charter, Code of Laws, and all subsidiary documents, ensuring that all laws comport with proper standards and formatting, and all minor changes made are publicly recorded.
3. The Legislative Chair will serve on the Cabinet and act as the Legislative Liaison between the Cabinet and Legislature.
4. The Chair will serve a term lasting four months.
5. Procedures for the election of the Chair must be defined in Code of Laws.

Section 5 – Contradicting Legislation
1. The Chair shall use their discretionary powers to avoid opening votes on contradicting legislation or resolutions simultaneously. 
2. If multiple, contradicting proposals have been proposed, the Chair may elect to hold a plebiscite to decide which proposal shall be voted on first.  

Change to the COL:

Article 1: Elections

Section 2 - Position Specificities
1. The Delegate and Vice Delegate will run on a joint ticket and be elected by a majority vote of the Assembly. If no ticket receives a majority vote a runoff election with the two tickets receiving the most votes will occur.
2. Cabinet offices will be voted on separately by The Assembly and be elected by a plurality vote. 
3. Court Justices will be voted through a single ballot in The Assembly, with the three candidates who receive the most votes winning seats.
4. The Legislative Chair will be elected by a vote of 50%+1 in the Assembly subject to an approval vote of 50%+1 of the Legislative Chair-designate in the General Congregation. If no candidate receives a majority vote in the Assembly, a runoff election will occur. 
5. The Assembly may by a majority vote of 75% in favour override the decision of the General Congregation in the event of a failure to approve the Legislative Chair-designate. 
6. In the event that the override vote fails to achieve the majority vote of 75% or the Legislative Chair-designate withdraws their candidacy nominations for the Legislative Chair will be reopened in the Assembly.
7. In all elections an option to re-open nominations will be included. For non-judicial elections, if this option receives the most votes the nomination period for that office will be restarted.
8. For Court Justice elections, if the option to Re-Open Nominations receives enough votes to be placed within the top four, then the nomination period will be restarted for all seats with lesser votes than this option. The candidates who receive the top votes will win however many seats are left to be filled.

Belschaft I

Quote:1. A bicameral legislature consisting of;

a. An Assembly consisting of all citizens and all influential WA Nations, with legislative initiative.
   b. A Senate consisting of seven elected citizens, replacing the CSS and Court, without legislative initiative.
2. That citizen and Influential WA Nation votes in the Assembly be of equal weight, with voting via both forms allowed
3. That the right to elect and recall officials remain limited to citizens .
4. That the Senate be required to confirm passage of Assembly legislation, with a Senate veto overturnable via a supermajority.
5. That the Chair of the Assembly may allow the Senate to vote on a matter without prior Assembly approval under extraordinary circumstances.
6. That the existing CSS, Court and Vice-Delegacy be merged into the new Senate; with the Senators selecting one of their own to serve as Vice-Delegate and the others maintaining high endorsement count like the present CSS - the Senate is to serve combined Security, Judicial and Legislative purposes - Senators could not hold cabinet office.
7. Complete revision of the bill of rights, criminal code, and penal code, which are all less than comprehensive.

Point of order; the above quoted does not constitute my actual most recent proposal, which I have explicitly made clear is unicameral. RL has delayed my draft but the provided details are by no means representative.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]

(01-23-2015, 05:47 PM)Belschaft Wrote: Point of order; the above quoted does not constitute my actual most recent proposal, which I have explicitly made clear is unicameral. RL has delayed my draft but the provided details are by no means representative.

Okay - is it unicameral in the sense that it wouldn't contradict Hopolis's proposal? Or does it involve Article 3 of the constitution? 

In other words: can we vote on the proposals simultaneously, or is your delay going to force a contradictions plebiscite that will have to extend the length of the Great Council? 

It is distinct in numerous ways, as I have made clear previously.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]

This vote is cancelled.

Belschaft has withdrawn his proposal. All other contradicting proposals are too late for submission and can be considered thoroughly outside of the Great Council. Thanks! We will begin on December 25 to vote on Hospolis's bill and any other private member bills that do not contradict Hospolis's bill will also go to vote - that includes QuietDad's proposal.

December?

Ah, the wonders of technology. I'm on Tapatalk!

I think he means January...
Darkstrait  :ninja:

Former Justice, Former Local Councilor, Roleplayer, Former SPSF Deputy for Recruitment, Politically Active Citizen, Ex-Spammer Supreme, and Resident Geek

"Hats is very fashion this year."

What's happening with this? We aren't going to wait all the way to December to vote on this I would have thought.
Europeian Ambassador to The South Pacific
Former Local Council Member
Former Minister of Regional Affairs
Former High Court Justice

We agreed to extend the debate, remember?
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

No, and even if we did I think eleven months for something in a game is a bit OTT.
Europeian Ambassador to The South Pacific
Former Local Council Member
Former Minister of Regional Affairs
Former High Court Justice