We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Voting Time Periods

The recent 3-5 day voting period has struck me as being too much of a narrow window especially for people with exams or any RL stuff going on.

I'd like to propose extending the voting times from 3-5 days to 5-7 days at the minimum. 

In several recent votes, I haven't been able to find the voting thread or found it after the vote was over which is problematic.

Having a sidebar or highlighted section on the main page with all things being voted for and a time frame from beginning to end should also be implemented.

Then what is the process for people who missed a vote due to the whiplash nature of the time period and would like to re-open the thread? Is there such a procedure or process in place?

Escade

~ Positions Held in TSP ~
Delegate | Vice Delegate 
Minister of Regional Affairs, | Minister of Foreign Affairs | 
Minister of Military Affairs
~ The Sparkly One ~

My Pinterest

(03-15-2015, 10:21 PM)Escade Wrote: Having a sidebar or highlighted section on the main page with all things being voted for and a time frame from beginning to end should also be implemented.

We can't. Host problems, remember? :sad:

(03-15-2015, 10:21 PM)Escade Wrote: Then what is the process for people who missed a vote due to the whiplash nature of the time period and would like to re-open the thread? Is there such a procedure or process in place?

Nope. If you missed a vote, then that's pretty much it.
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

I feel like this is an issue where we're regularly changing things because of individual incidents. I remember us shortening the voting time because it was unnecessarily long. When I was Chair, there were complaints that voting during the weekdays was unfair, so we started voting only on the weekends. Then Unibot became Chair and people started complaining when he didn't bring things up to vote immediately...

In my opinion, the current time slots are just fine. All you have to do to find voting threads is look in the voting subforum. The Chair not only links to the voting threads in the debates, but links to the debates in the voting threads, too.

I am against making the voting times any longer than they currently are. 7 day votes are a nightmare and were when we previously had them.

I don't have any problem with the current 3-5 day votes.

(03-15-2015, 11:11 PM)Hileville Wrote: I am against making the voting times any longer than they currently are.  7 day votes are a nightmare and were when we previously had them.

I would agree with this sentiment. KRO had long times originally, and recently in the OFO we had to wait nearly two weeks to get things done. As Hile said, a week is a nightmare.
Zaolat
Vizier of the Osiris Fraternal Order
Pharaoh Emeritus of Osiris