We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Happy Thoughts - Implementing a Mock Court

One of the things I was keen to do when elected - and before the unanticipated tidal wave of litigation - was set up a Mock Court for the fun aspect of the TSP legal system. Now that we've got a set of procedures for the court to hear trials in place (about the only part of the Charter not heavily revised) I'd like to try and get a discussion started on the way forward for the mock court.

My thoughts in no particular order are:

We create a sub-forum in the High Court for the mock trials to keep them separate from the real cases. I like the idea of calling it 'The Low Court'. Angel
We adopt the existing court trial procedures for the conduct of the trial
We allow for the creation of Defenders and Prosecutors, perhaps with a thread where would be legal eagles can put their names down for hire.
The range of crimes would be anything as its mock.
A single justice presides over the mock trial (chosen by rota or volunteers) but any justice can post comments on a mock trial in the private chambers or seek advice from other justices
Nothing in the mock court is legally binding or sets any precedent
The only sanction open to the court is a finding of guilty or not guilty.

Done the right way this could be fun!

Sounds good, but it may be a better idea to have Associate Justice preside over Mock Trials as well.