We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Legal Question - Permanent Injunction

Sandaoguo asked a question.

This isn't a legal question.

As far as I can tell the courts have no legal power to perform this request so I'm inclined to dismiss it.

I'm inclined to dismiss as well. The Court does not have prosecutorial powers.

I don't know where/if this applies, to anything current but it's worth pointing out that the "citizen" in question here actually should have had their citizenship lapse THREE different times in the past six months

From October 13th until November 20th.
From November 21st to January 12th
From February 2nd the March 22nd.

As you can tell, these are neither recent nor brief, and also implies that the administration has not checked their citizenship during the past six months - including the previous cabinet election. I find it inexcusable that they have now failed to remove citizenship after this time.

While it will be controversial and a legal gray area, which I am willing to do it unilaterally if necessary, we have a radical alternative in the form of Article 4, Section 1.5

Quote:5. The High Court holds the sole power to remove citizenship outside of regular legislation that outlines reasonable upkeep requirements or security imperatives.

By invoking this clause we could declare them a non-citizen and their votes null. As far as I can tell from the charter there is no appeal to this and they would have to reapply normally.

I also move to dismiss. This is completely outside the scope of our powers. I would support a Court opinion in the decision to dismiss urging the administration to do a better job of checking citizenship. It seems to me that there would be merit in the VD appointing someone to assist in monitoring citizenship lapses, though not sure if that would require additional legislation.

I wouldn't support the Court withdrawing anyones citizenship as a result of this though. I think that should be for the VD to do in this case if there is a lapsed citizenship. I also see no power for the Court to declare a vote cast as null.

Just worth noting Sandaoguo is pretty much not following up on this, based on his last post, due to Hile no longer being EC.