We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Issue VI

TOP STORY: FEIRMONT WINS THE DELEGACY
Feirmont has been proclaimed Delegate-Elect of the South Pacific

[Image: ZX31VFI.jpg?1]

Feirmont is the current Minister of Regional Affairs

Feirmont was elected today the 28th Delegate of the South Pacific, following a four-way race against incumbent Delegate Tsunamy, Army Minister ProfessorHenn and former Assembly Chair Aramanchovia. He led comfortable majorities throughout the election and, having been a citizen for eight months, became the youngest delegate since Escade, who was elected after seven months in the region.

His roleplay-inspired campaign focused on increasing publicity for regional events, promoting involvement opportunities and improving training for the military. While not revolutionary on their own, these proposals did carry greater weight due to the credibility that Feirmont and his running-mate, Arbiter08, had earned throughout their time in the South Pacific.

In the past term Feirmont has served as a highly popular Minister of Regional Affairs, having organised several cultural festivals and games. He also briefly served as interim Minister of Foreign Affairs and kept some connections, mainly with the North Pacific and Spiritus, due to the organisation of joint festivals with both allied regions. Arbiter08 has a reputation as an effective officer of the Special Forces and statesman, having served as Deputy Minister for Recruitment this past term under ProfessorHenn and as Vice Delegate under Kris Kringle.

His closest contender was incumbent Tsunamy, who ran with Sam111 on a platform that offered a more hands off approach and proposed letting the Delegate be an enabler of individual Ministers' policies, instead of setting policy himself. In third place came Army Minister ProfessorHenn, with a campaign similar to that of Feirmont. However, his reputation was severely tarnished weeks before the election, when Arbiter08 outed an attempt by the former to offer him a position in the Committee for State Security in exchange for not running. In final place came Aramanchovia, whose single-issue platform to abolish forum citizenship and hold all votes through regional polls was badly received by several citizens.

New Cabinet features mix of new and returning faces

In addition to the election of the Delegate and Vice Delegate, today there were also announcements on the election of a new Cabinet, which features a mix of returning veterans, reelected officials and newcomers.

Farengeto has been reelected as Chair of the Assembly with 97% of the vote, following an uncontested campaign where he promised to conduct a full review of the Charter and the Code of Laws and suggested that a Great Council might be the way to do it. In a recent interview with the Southern Journal he mentioned wanting to focus on judicial reform as well, particularly in expanding the Criminal Code to give the Court adequate tools to address criminal cases.

Hileville, a former Delegate, Foreign Minister and Assembly Chair, defeated incumbent Sandaoguo in the race for Minister of Foreign Affairs with 63% of the vote. His campangi focused on expanding involvement opportunities at the Ministry and increasing communication with the Special Forces fared well with voters. Some criticised Sandaoguo for his statement that the Ministry was not a place for involvement opportunities, even if late in his term he did offer some opportunities in the field of World Assembly Affairs. Hileville has the task of reviving the long dormant Foreign Service and improving policy coordination with the Special Forces.

Siberian Districts prevailed in a five-way race for Minister of the Army, defeating newcomers Alisa and Hammerstar, General Resentine and citizen Distortilla. While most campaigns had similar themes, voters favoured the 'quality over quantity' approach from Siberian Districts, who only became a citizen during the nominations period but had long been a Senior Soldier of the Special Forces. He promised to focus on increasing contact with foreign militaries and improve the quality of induction and training, arguing that a small but well trained force was more effective than a large but untrained military.

Kris Kringle makes a return to the Senior Cabinet as Minister of Regional Affairs after a one-term hiatus. His campaign, which went uncontested and garnered 90% of the vote, capitalised on his record as Deputy Minister of Communications and a promise to continue Feirmont's policies. He promised to keep publishing the various newspapers that have been established under his tenure, vowed to hold continuous cultural festivals and to increase awareness on the Fellowship Programme.

The new Cabinet, promising the six individuals mentioned above, will take office on August 1.

SPSF helps Osiris in Founderless
Special Forces supply troops in a Sekhmet Legion-led occupation

Soldiers from the Special Forces have lent assistance to the Osiris Sekhmet Legion in the occupation of Founderless, a 26-nation region with a non-executive founder. Joining forces are also troops from the Brotherhood of Malice, Lone Wolves United, Funen and DEN, all prominent or rising raiding regions.

Yesterday Minister of Foreign Affairs Sandaoguo posted on the Gameplay forum that the participation by Special Forces soldiers was unauthorised, based on an alleged communication between Army Minister ProfessorHenn and an allied official. Shortly after Senior Soldier Siberian Districts expressed surprised and insisted that the operation had the full backing of the Minister.

Cabinet appoints Hopolis as High Court Justice
Hopolis will fill the vacancy left by Tomb

Weeks ago Tomb lost citizenship due to inactivity, having done little in the region since his election to the High Court. He was demasked in the first week of July, slightly over a month before the start of the new Court term, in August 15.

A small controversy originated, since the Election Act mandated that vancancies had to be followed by a special election, but could be filled by Cabinet appointment if they happened "in the month" before the start of the new term. Some argued that this meant the month preceding the one when the new term started, with others arguing that this meant the 30 days before the start of the term.

Chair of the Assembly Farengeto submitted a legal question before the High Court on that same matter. Justices soon after ruled that the former interpretation was correct, and that the law allowed for Cabinet appointments at any time in the month preceding a new term. In compliance with that ruling, the Cabinet announced yesterday that former Justice Hopolis would be appointed to serve the remainder of Tomb's term.
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

Typo in the paragraph on MoFA "Campangi"

Great articles, Kris! But I'm very saddened to not see anything on the only election that really matters to TSP: Craziest! [emoji14]

Sent from my LG-D500 using Tapatalk
"...if you're normal, the crowd will accept you. But if you're deranged, the crowd will make you their leader." - Christopher Titus
Deranged in NS since 2011

One and ONLY minion of LadyRebels 
The OUTRAGEOUS CRAZY other half of LadyElysium

Err I've never said MoFA "was not a place for involvement opportunities." I've been saying that we shouldn't look to as a new MoRA in term of involvement, because FA is fundamentally different and doesn't offer as many natural opportunities. I said during my campaign that MoFA can't offer a lot of opportunity under its existing model or past models (past being what Hileville wants to recreate), which is why I campaigned on focusing on areas like the World Assembly that would be *new* for MoFA and the region.

I guess I was thinking in terms of how you said foreign affairs was more suited for personal mentorship, rather than big involvement projects.
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

The more political side of it definitely is. You can train someone to write updates and post in forums. But you have to mentor someone to understand the political alliances of Gameplay and the personal politics of it too. If people are expecting MoFA to churn out the latter, that's something the region is misguided about.

(07-25-2015, 09:00 AM)Rebeltopia Wrote: Great articles, Kris! But I'm very saddened to not see anything on the only election that really matters to TSP: Craziest! [emoji14]

Yeah, y u no crazy?
Darkstrait  :ninja:

Former Justice, Former Local Councilor, Roleplayer, Former SPSF Deputy for Recruitment, Politically Active Citizen, Ex-Spammer Supreme, and Resident Geek

"Hats is very fashion this year."

Most of this forum community thinks knows much differently! [emoji14]

"...if you're normal, the crowd will accept you. But if you're deranged, the crowd will make you their leader." - Christopher Titus
Deranged in NS since 2011

One and ONLY minion of LadyRebels 
The OUTRAGEOUS CRAZY other half of LadyElysium