We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Delegate Debate

Delegate Debate
Role of the Delegate | Fellowship Programme | Future of the Special Forces | Involvement Ministry of Foreign Affairs | Local Council

Welcome to the July 2015 Delegate debate, hosted by the Southern Journal. In this debate we are fortunate to have our four candidates. Delegate Tsunamy, Minister of the Army ProfessorHenn, Minister of Regional Affairs Feirmont, and Former Chair of the Assembly Aramanchovia.

Tsunamy: Hey all!

ProfessorHenn: Aloe Aloe, meine Freunde.

Feirmont: Hello!

Aramanchovia: Gday everyone.

This debate will consist of three parts. First each candidate will have time to give a brief opening statement. I will then ask all candidates questions on the role of the Delegate and the specifics of their campaigns, and candidates are encouraged to engage in a brief exchange of ideas whenever possible. Finally, each candidate will have the opportunity to ask one question, which the others must answer.

Tsunamy: Hi all! First, I'd like to thank both Kris and the Southern Journal for hosting this debate. I think it's great that we can all come together to discuss our own, unique visions for the future of the region. After two terms as delegate already, I can honesty tell you that most of these platforms will get thrown out the window -- or in Aram's case the entire government will. In any case, I think this great. And I'm excited to hear from the other candidates and figure out how to move the region forward -- no matter who wins the election.

ProfessorHenn: The Delegate is an important position. One meant for those who can lead, for those who can inspire, and for those that can speak their mind and not worry about the consequences. Few can handle this role, but I feel I am capable of it.

Feirmont: Thank you Kringle for having us here. It's a real honour to be running against strong opponents, and to be able to really flush out some ideas for the coming term; as Tsunamy said, no matter the result of the election.

Aramanchovia: As the others have said, thanks for the opportunity to discuss our campaigns in more detail. I know I am not likely to be elected, but it is a good chance to address what I expect to be some tough questions. Always good to get more info from the other candidates too.

Thanks to all. We will now move on to the second part of our debate. Please remember that you are encouraged to engage in a brief exchange of ideas with the other candidates, whenever possible.

Question #1
How would you describe the role of the Delegate? Why are you an adequate choice to fulfil that role?

ProfessorHenn: The role of the Delegate is one of leadership, trust, sensibility and guidance; since it's that of a facilitator within the Cabinet, not controlling, but assisting them with their respective ministries to ensure that the Cabinet is working and performing as its maximum efficiency. It is also the face of the region as a whole, since most NSers don't pay attention to the forums, they'll just look at the big name at the top of the screen, and draw some conclusions from there.

Feirmont: The role of delegate, in short terms, is to lead and organize the Cabinet during the term. This is to make sure the Cabinet stays active and there are no lulls in government activity. They also bring tough decisions to the Cabinet and spark discussions on how TSP should act on a number of different matters, either at home or afar. I'd be an adequate choice because I'm active much of the time on different mediums of communication: IRC, Forum PMs, and the RMB. I'm open to suggestions at all time and I'm not afraid to flush out everyone's ideas before making a decision.

Aramanchovia: Ok, basically I believe the key role of the Delegate is to ensure everyone in the region can enjoy themselves and feel welcome to participate. As to why I would be best, I am probably not, I rub people up the wrong way at times. My main reason for running for Delegate was to introduce a different way of handling the role I feel would work better, and would only be planning the one term to bed it in.

Tsunamy: Thanks guys. I suppose I see the role of delegate as a jack-of-all-trades. I think the delegate needs to able to step in legislative roles and foreign relations roles as needed, but has a primary responsibility to make sure the in-region is safe and secure. Coupled with that, I'd argue that the delegate's role is to link the in-game aspects with the off-site region as best they can. I hope my previous experience makes me a good fit for the job...or else I've done something v. v. wrong.

Question #2
ProfessorHenn and Feirmont have both referred to the need to increase recruitment for the Fellowship Programme and encourage the continued development of our regional culture. What kind of coordination would you expect to have with the Ministry of Regional Affairs in pursuit of that goal?

Aramanchovia: I agree that regional culture is critical and something that can not be forgotten. To be honest, I have been impressed with the way MoRA has been working lately, but I do think it is critical the region is kept in the loop with what is happening. The FP is not really pushed either, better communication with the region probably is needed to ensure  that we don't suffer a slow decline in this area.

Tsunamy: I'm all about recruitment to whatever ends the ministers need. Our current welcome telegraph tells new nations who they should take to and I've fielded questions from plenty of newcomers helping get them involved. I would continue to follow the previous patterns of sending out all of the recruitment requests and any other promotion the minister of regional affairs or his underlings request.

ProfessorHenn: I hope to coordinate with the new Minister of Regional Affairs to obtain well structured plans for the MoRA, so that we may figure out how to coincide my plans and their plans for the department and have something beautiful come out of it.

Feirmont: I'd make sure to get all the information from the Minister of Regional Affairs including a tentative schedule and start date for any of their activities. Making sure that all the information is available to all newer or older members from the MoRA before any activities start. Through mass TGs, a pinned dispatch, some posts on the RMB and even a post available to all forumites to see on the forums.

Question #3
All candidates for Minister of the Army insist further recruitment for the Special Forces is necessary, even if they differ on the importance of recruitment in the overall scheme of things. How do you see the Special Forces four months from now in terms of activity, training and types of missions?

Tsunamy: I think the SPSF has been incredibly successful with recruitment and has been a great source of activity in the region. I would like to see the activity continue, although I would defer to the next minister of the army to decide activity and training within the SPSF.

ProfessorHenn: I see the Special Forces is in good hands, whomever is elected next. The three main contenders for the position, Alisa, Resentine, and Siberian, are all good Soldas, and will serve TSP well with the SPSF before them.

Feirmont: I also believe the SPSF has been very successful up to now, with many new members joining. I can see this trend continuing to grow, with higher activity. From what I can tell and what I'm told from newer members, the senior members of the SPSF have been very helpful and active. As time goes on, those newer members will become senior members and help the newer members as they have been helped. Arbiter and I enjoy the idea of wargames between SPSF members for training and team building. The types of missions of course being diverse. It's an idea we would like to pitch to the MoA in the coming term.

Aramanchovia: I agree PH did a great job this term, turning the SPSF into something resembling an army. I hope this can continue with the new minister, whoever that is. As for training and mission types, I would leave this to the MoA but would help out where possible if requested.

Question #4
Some argue that a lack of proactivity from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs has let other regions think we are inactive and has prevented newcomers from gaining foreign affairs expertise. Do you believe the Ministry should encourage greater involvement and communication? What measures would you take in pursuit of that goal?

ProfessorHenn: Indeed, as Bon has mentioned in our campaign: "it's not for mere decoration in Cabinet". The MoFA has the same potential as the MoRA to invest greatly into communication and cultural exchange.

Feirmont: First, I would like to see one foreign update sent to all our allies after the general election just letting them know who's elected at the very least. Arbiter and I came up with the idea of the Foreign Affairs Academy. We don't believe that foreign service is necessarily the answer to increased involvement, but a teaching mechanism to demonstrate what the FA is all about, giving the tools for potential future ministers to do the job. It's an idea we will work out with the next MoFA if they're willing. We're also hoping this generates public activity from the Ministry, as most of their goings on are private to the public.

Aramanchovia: It is a bit of an issue. Last term activity in FA was pretty much non existent and I can see why this could make us seem inactive. I do think we need to let other regions know what is going on, and I am sure both MoFA candidates have their preferred method for this. I would be happy to facilitate this however is necessary.

Tsunamy: I, too, agree that we need some ways to get new blood into the ministry of foreign affairs. I think this is clear from the people who have been running for that seat. I would generally support an ambassador like program as Hile mentioned or perhaps some hybrid model where FA works with RA to create an interregional newspaper to get news out. Currently, relying on solely on SJ or SPINN hasn't quite worked since they are independent organizations and we aren't really able to influence the content. Or, rather, the coverage. Certainly, again, this will depend on who is the next minister of foreign affairs, but I would like to see a stepping stone path as RA and SPSF have built.

Question #5
Many criticise an apparent ineffectiveness of the Local Council. Do you see a future in it?

Aramanchovia: I think the main problem is the LC has no clear purpose. As such, it is a bit ineffective, as they can't really have an impact. With the current way the region works, it has potential in theory, but without a clear purpose, I personally don't see the need for it.

Tsunamy: As someone who has pushed for more ties to the RMB, I think the Local Council had a lot of potential. I fear that since I poached Sam from the Council mid term, that didn't help the cause. It's always difficult to be the first and once the LC gets its footing, I think it has a lot of potential. That's actually something I look forward to working on, which is giving the LC more of a clear cut purpose and using councillors as liaisons.

ProfessorHenn: Effectively, the Local Council is relatively new, so it'll take a little more time and dedication to improve it into the link between the forums and RMB it's meant to be.

Feirmont: I'd like to echo much of what my opponents said: The LC currently has no clear purpose, but has the potential to do great things for the residents who solely operate from the RMB but are still interested in the politics that happen in the forums. What the LC needs currently is a set of public goals, and I would like to help with creating and seeing those goals through.

Question #6
What kind of relationship do you expect to have with your Vice Delegate? Why are you running together?

Tsunamy: I expect Sam and I to have a close working relationship. I don't think it's a secret that Pen and I were very close, and Sam and I are getting to that point. I think it's important to have each other's backs and be able to step in for the other when needed, and I think it's important to draw on each other's strengths. Part of my choose of Sam is that he has the energy and drive of a newcomer. He still sees TSP with new eyes and wants to mould it. It's refreshing and energizing to work with someone like that.

ProfessorHenn: My kind of an ideal Vice Delegate is one who goes above and beyond his required duties as a Vice Delegate, and who can take over extremely well as a Delegate should I no longer be available. He and I are in a position of great trust, and should that not exist, I would never have picked him.

Feirmont: Arbiter and I already have a healthy friendship both on and off NS. We chat whenever possible about a variety of subjects. We run together because we aren't afraid to tell each other what's on our minds. If I have an idea, he'll break it down and we rebuild it together, and vice-versa. His experience as the Vice-Delegate is very welcoming, and we compliment each other on our individual inexperiences and faults.

Aramanchovia: It was a personal choice of mine not to utilise a VD if elected and I am confident of that. I know that if I am incapable of dealing with a situation, there will always be someone willing to step in and help out, as Hopolis did when she agreed to be my VD (to ensure my delegacy bid was legal only). I appreciate this. It is something I really like about TSP and hope this never changes.

For the final part of our debate, each candidate will have the opportunity to ask each other a question.

Question from ProfessorHenn
How do you see the vote shaping up for you?

Tsunamy: I attempt not to make electoral projections, especially when we have such a depth of qualified candidates running.

ProfessorHenn: Indeed, this makes it all the more interesting and curious to project.

Aramanchovia: I will be lucky to even get 1 vote to be honest. I expect a close race between Feir and Tsu, with yourself in third PH. I think your gaff pre-election may come back to bite you from some voters, but I personally hold no grudges and this won't influence my vote (if I decide not to abstain).

Feirmont: I think it's really too close to tell; as much as I don't agree with Aram's version of a delegacy, it's still an original idea. Each candidate this election has different ideas for TSP this coming term, and it's refreshing to see four candidates that aren't spouting all the same ideas.

Question from Aramanchovia
You have all been cabinet members this term. How do you think your ministry/delegacy performed and is there anything you would change from the last 4 months?

ProfessorHenn: I would have hoped to do a few more liberations/detags this term, instead of a nearly wholly raiding term, but the #jump fiasco from a month ago(when we had our main force together) really put a stop in it. I would have also liked to have a few more recruitment letters be sent out to the region. All in all, though, I believe it was a good term, given our increased size and the new activity of the SPSF.

Tsunamy: Overall, I think this past term has been less hectic than the previous but successful in different ways. Honestly, I would just change some of the timing issues that really hung us up. Between the contested election and replacing a VD, I ended up devoting time to areas I didn't expect.

Feirmont: The delegacy performed rather well. There was a strong lull in the middle of the term, which could've been boosted. But overall tsu's been supportive in MoRA affairs. Especially with the current festivals. My ministry has been active planning for this month, which is seeing many activities and foreign festivals. To change from this term, I would've brought up one more deputy to handle Integration, or reshuffle my current deputies to avoid the lull in that department.

Question from Feirmont
There are many that feel three consecutive terms is too long for someone to be at the top, especially in a GCR. Do you believe there's some merit to that, and why?

Tsunamy: That's for that Feir. I'm surprised someone would think three terms is too long for a delegate in the region. We've had incredibly successful delegates serve for a long time. Fudgie comes to mind as someone who served three-plus years. I think the key to is be open to allowing others to be active and not getting in the way with your our agenda. But tinker around the edges to make sure people get involved and bring in new life blood, as this term and clearly proved. I don't agree with the idea that the person with the most in-game endorsements should also be the leader and primary idea holder in the region. That's why we have the Assembly and a great Cabinet. I think the delegate is really just a placeholder in game. As such, I'm not sure someone can be there "too long", as long as they aren't stifling others' ideas. But thanks for the question Feir.

ProfessorHenn: So we ought to head back to a Delegate/ Prime Minister?

Tsunamy: Yes, Henn. As someone who helped create that system, I'd support something along those lines.

ProfessorHenn: In regards to three terms, I feel it isn't too long as Delegate. Especially considering our democracy, when you are a Delegate for multiple years in a row, that says something about how you only focus on TSP.

Aramanchovia: I don't see 3 terms as too long. There are plenty of examples of longer terms, even in GCR'S and as long as the delegate keeps doing a good job, I have no issues with keeping them around.

Question from Tsunamy
This actually stems from Feir's question, so the timing is excellent. You all have really great ideas to bring to the region and all of you were in the Cabinet at one point last term. What barriers or prohibitions were in place that stopped you from previously acting upon these desires? And/or how could the current government have been more supportive?

Feirmont: Honestly, there were no barriers or prohibitions. I wanted to make sure the MoRA was up and running, and spent a lot of my time in that ministry.

ProfessorHenn: Well, much of Bon and I's plans for the region can be fully executed and fully supported should we be elected as Del/VD, given that much of it, we couldn't really do it as Deputy MoRA and MoA.

Aramanchovia: To be honest, the reception my campaign has received from certain people is the reason I haven't tried previously. I expected it would not be widely supported, but I do believe the current system can be improved. I didn't bring it up when I was in cabinet as I didn't see that it was appropriate. I think you have all pretty much said you don't support it. Smile

Tsunamy, some in our audience asked if you could answer the question as well. Would that be alright?

Tsunamy: Happy to. Honestly, the question was as much in my own interest as a "debate question." My previous terms have been about enabling the Cabinet and I want to make sure that I continue to do that. I realize my time hasn't been as plentiful as I would have liked, which I think had been my biggest obstacle. But otherwise, I hope the region is place where we -- as region -- can really nurture new ideas. I would hate to think I'm prohibiting that, either as a just a member or as candidate for delegate. And...now that I'm just awkwardly talking.

Alright then. If that's all, I'd like to thank our four candidates for participating in this debate. It has been a real pleasure, and I wish you the best in this election.

Disclaimer: This transcript has been edited for orthography and clarity in the flow of the conversation. While some words have slightly different spelling and some interventions have been placed in different order, the core content of the conversation has not been altered. A raw copy of the transcript may be provided upon request.
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

When are the Craziest Person debates? Smile
Darkstrait  :ninja:

Former Justice, Former Local Councilor, Roleplayer, Former SPSF Deputy for Recruitment, Politically Active Citizen, Ex-Spammer Supreme, and Resident Geek

"Hats is very fashion this year."

You misspelled "debate" for the title on the Europeia forum.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. >_>
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

ProfessorHenn Question #1 Wrote:It is also the face of the region as a whole, since most NSers don't pay attention to the forums, they'll just look at

Henn's response got cut off in the first question.

It seems I somehow managed to erase the remainder of that sentence. I should be fixed now.

Legal Resources:

Great debate. I really liked the questions that the candidates asked each other.
The 16th Delegate of The South Pacific

(07-20-2015, 02:59 PM)Darkstrait Wrote: When are the Craziest Person debates? Smile
Darkstrait  :ninja:

Former Justice, Former Local Councilor, Roleplayer, Former SPSF Deputy for Recruitment, Politically Active Citizen, Ex-Spammer Supreme, and Resident Geek

"Hats is very fashion this year."

It's disappointing that, despite the stacks of evidence, some candidates still think we should try yet again to have a foreign service. It seems no amount of history will dissuade people from thinking it's a good idea.

Other than that, I don't think the candidates were particularly enlightening. Not much new that wasn't already in the campaigns. Tsu does mention returning to the Delegate/PM system, which I've thought about before and think might be a good idea.

(07-21-2015, 01:08 AM)Sandaoguo Wrote: It's disappointing that, despite the stacks of evidence, some candidates still think we should try yet again to have a foreign service. It seems no amount of history will dissuade people from thinking it's a good idea.

Other than that, I don't think the candidates were particularly enlightening. Not much new that wasn't already in the campaigns. Tsu does mention returning to the Delegate/PM system, which I've thought about before and think might be a good idea.

That's for the support of that idea GR. It's something I've been thinking about more and more, but feel it would be inappropriate to start such a discussion while delegate.

To be clear about foreign service, we've had this discussion previously, but we do need to have some stepping stones toward FA. Whether that is WA advisory, embassy posts or something else, there is clearly a reason the job had shifted among established NS players, without a challenge from someone new.
-tsunamy
[forum admin]