We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Artificial intelligence

I was reading an article about artificial intelligence (AI) and the danger it poses. However, prior to the publishing of the article, I had some background knowledge on the subject. One point brought forth in the article is the possible extinction of the human race by AI. I remembered the following quote from Jurassic Park, "God creates dinosaurs, God kills dinosaurs, God creates man, man kills God, man brings back dinosaurs." Instead, change it to, "God creates dinosaurs, God kills dinosaurs, God creates man, man kills God, man creates AI, AI kills man." While AI could do many good things for us, it may one day cause the mass extinction event of mankind. What do you think about AI?
4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History

Well... yeah.

<33

I did not watch this movie, but I did watch Ex Machina.

My History

Oooohh, is it good?

<33

Yeah, but I didn't like the ending. The movie brings up the question about what AI would do if we built it.

My History

Here's my take on AI: We created guns, right? Well, if we create AI, we will not have just created a gun, but we created something that will not need a human to pull the trigger.

My History

I think that as long as we code in failsafes, like Asimov's Laws, we should be good.
Darkstrait  :ninja:

Former Justice, Former Local Councilor, Roleplayer, Former SPSF Deputy for Recruitment, Politically Active Citizen, Ex-Spammer Supreme, and Resident Geek

"Hats is very fashion this year."

I would prefer that we do not create AI at all.

My History

(07-27-2015, 08:00 PM)Darkstrait Wrote: I think that as long as we code in failsafes, like Asimov's Laws, we should be good.

There are loopholes to that idea. I can see AI building robots to rewrite such code.

My History

AI would be useful in exploring distant planets. No speed of light delay, none of that crap.
Darkstrait  :ninja:

Former Justice, Former Local Councilor, Roleplayer, Former SPSF Deputy for Recruitment, Politically Active Citizen, Ex-Spammer Supreme, and Resident Geek

"Hats is very fashion this year."