We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Kim Davis

If you have seen the news, you know her. The Rowan County Elected Clerk that refuses to issue marriage licenses under "God's Authority".

What do you think about her?

Personally, I think she needs to resign. If you can't handle it, resign. Or forget about religious beliefs in her job.
Deputy Regional Minister of the Planning and Development Agency(March 8-May 19, 2014)

Local Council Member(April 24-August 11)

Court Justice of TSP(August 15-December 7)

Not much that needs to be said.

She refused to preform the duties required by her job, then intentionally violated a court order. She is completely in the wrong.

EDIT: And of course the whole laughably hypocrisy with her selective following of Christianity.

She is in prison now. I find it laughable how she says they are imposing their beliefs on her, when she is the one imposing her beliefs on others.
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

SHE'S A BITCH
NUFF SAID
Darkstrait  :ninja:

Former Justice, Former Local Councilor, Roleplayer, Former SPSF Deputy for Recruitment, Politically Active Citizen, Ex-Spammer Supreme, and Resident Geek

"Hats is very fashion this year."

^This
Deputy Regional Minister of the Planning and Development Agency(March 8-May 19, 2014)

(09-03-2015, 08:30 PM)Kris Kringle Wrote: She is in prison now. I find it laughable how she says they are imposing their beliefs on her, when she is the one imposing her beliefs on others.

Not quite, although I see your meaning.

She is an elected official, who took an oath of office to uphold the law of the State of Kentucky, and the United States of America. When the US Supreme Court, legalised Equal-Marriage, and the Governor of Kentucky issued an notice to Clerks to approve all marriage licenses, she was breaking the law by refusing.

When a District Court told her to do her job, and she refused - as she's refused to sign any marriage licences - she appealed to the US Supreme Court, which denied her request. She has now been found in Contempt of Court for failure to follow its instructions. She is not doing her job.

She was actually advised by her legal representation - an extreme Christian legal council to disobey the District Court. Said representatives have raised huge sums of money for their own coffers fighting her cause, so I suspect she is being milked as a cash cow. Silly woman.

I mean, I was saying she imposed her beliefs due to her arguments. She says she can't be forced to issue those licenses because of her beliefs, but at the same time she is imposing those beliefs on others, by denying them a government service. She can complain all she wants but, like you said, she has a job to do.

At the end of the day, I don't get it. For one, this isn't religious marriage, this is just a government service. It's not like they are forcing a Christian pastor marry them, which would violate freedom of religion. There just isn't any place for "god" arguments in government procedures. But more importantly: who the hell cares? You would think she was being forced to marry someone against her wishes. They are two consenting adults. Who cares who they want to marry. They ware happy and they aren't harming anyone. That's more that can be said for so many others.
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

They released her and her deputies are doing the job. Fair.

But I would prefer she'd stayed in jail.

She had not been sentences of any crime. She was just being held in contempt. What bothers me more is how the double standards of so many Republicans. Somehow she is allowed to violate the law, because "it's her faith".

Legal Resources:

For many years, I have grown up in a Republican family, but I realize things that I didn't before. For example, most Republicans are Christians, and they favor capital punishment. However, the Sixth Commandment says, "Thou shalt not murder."
4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History